“Spanish experience in middle of Reykjavik” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tapas Barinn

Tapas Barinn
Vesturgotu 3b, Reykjavik 101, Iceland (Miõborg)
354-551-2344
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #20 of 321 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: European, Tapas, Bar
Good for: Romance, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Miõborg
Iceland
“Spanish experience in middle of Reykjavik”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

If you like small tastes / tapas then Tapas barinn would be a good choice for a casual dining in the heart of downtown Reykjavik.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

New York, New York, United States
“Lousy Food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

This is the first bad meal we had in Reykjavik. In fact we were thrilled by the great meals we had at the Seafood Grill and The Grill Market. At Tapas Barinn, seeing the food emerge from a microwave sort of took it downhill from there. Overall flavorless. The potatoes bravas were barely edible. Maybe being to Spain a few times and being spoiled by great Spanish food in NYC skewed my opinion, but honestly I can't quite understand the rave reviews here. The paella was watery and lacked flavor. On the plus side,the argentinian malbec wine was good! The shrimp and lamb tasted fresh....but there was none of the amazing Spanish spices we hoped for, and the cost was on the pricey side ($100) for a bad meal.....much more than what we paid at Seafood Grill. Don't waste your time here or your money!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Lively dining room and good value in the heart of Reykjavik”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I came here at 10:00 P.M. on my last night in Iceland on a solo vacation. I did not call ahead for a reservation and the dining room was completely full, so the hostess/greeter offered me a seat at the bar where I could order a drink as I waited. I must say, the alcoholic drinks were very expensive, even compared to those in New York, where I live. We're talking 1800-2000 ISK for a small/regular-sized margarita or mojito. The wine and beer seemed to be priced around the same rate as other local places. That aside, I ordered a mojito and was shown to my table about 20 minutes later. My waiter introduced himself to me and was very friendly, complimenting me on my choices of places to visit in Iceland (he was from the Westfjords and commented that the great majority of tourists don't go there, and seemed impressed that it was a major part of my trip). I decided to order the "Journey into the Unknown" option, in which the chef chooses 7 tapas at random. I was very pleased when I asked my waiter if I could request that the chef give me 2 specific Icelandic items (puffin and foal) I wanted to try from the menu as part of the selection, and the waiter obliged. Some plates were good, some plates were excellent, and it turned out to be a very filling meal that would have costed far more elsewhere. The service was prompt and my waiter went out of his way to make sure I had a good meal and was enjoying myself. It appeared that there were about equal numbers of Icelanders and tourists in the restaurant, and people of a variety of ages. The people-watching was quite good here and the cosy, dimly-lighted, intimate, but busy dining room actually did remind me of the time I spent living in Madrid. Be aware that most of the dishes here are not Spanish, per se, but rather are Spanish-Latin-Icelandic fusion or Icelandic with Spanish influence. However, this is not a complaint and I enjoyed my meal here more than any other in Iceland. I plan to return on my next visit!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
“Amazing, tasty tapas with a Nordic twist”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

This was our first taste of eating out in Iceland and we were not disappointed. we called the restaurant late afternoon on a Friday and managed to get a table for 9.30pm. When we arrived the restaurant was packed, which is always a good sign. Great busy atmosphere and friendly helpful staff. There are some menus available with chefs choice for those happy to go for a surprise but we selected dishes as there were some specific dishes we wanted to try. The smoked Puffin was amazing, as was the baby foal, baked lobster tails, and among these new tastes, a dish of squid and chilli, which we have eaten many times before but was by far the best squid we have ever eaten, it just melted in your mouth. Cannot recommend this restaurant highly enough, we had 5 dishes, a glass of wine and a beer for just over 10,000 isk

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Anchorage, Alaska
“Great 'Icelandic Foods' tapas plate!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We were eager to try some traditional Icelandic foods and Tapas Barinn has a special that appealed to us. The meal started with a shot of Brennivin, the national caraway flavored schnapps, then seven tapas including lobster, smoked puffin, minke whale, and monkfish with a delicious Skyr dessert.

All of our tapas were excellent including the puffin and whale! Servers were very friendly, service prompt, and the atmosphere was cozy and jovial.

Visited September 2013