“Locally Recommended” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #59 of 348 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Entertaining clients, Local cuisine, Doing business, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Dessert, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Providence, Rhode Island, United States
“Locally Recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

While we were at the Flea Market, a nice local girl started talking with us. She started telling us about things we should see and places we should go and this restaurant was at the top of her list of places to eat.

We decided to show up just as it opened, and even though we didn't have a reservation, they squeezed us in. It was really delicious, we both had soup and an entree and it was really tasty. I had the fish soup which was a very generous portion of creamy broth, with large chunks of fish in it. I'm not sure but I believe I was eating cod, char, and shrimp. The meat we had for the entree was cooked perfectly, and the gravy and vegetables were all very tasty.

We decided that we wanted to splurge on one meal, and I'm so glad that this was the place we decided to do it.

Visited October 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Blue Mountains, Australia
“A Beautiful Wedding Cake”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

As our wedding was small one we decided to have our reception here. It is not set up for wedding receptions, but we were given an area that was separated partly from the other customers. The cuisine was icelandic and everyone enjoyed the food. The owners/staff were very polite and helpful. They even organised an icelandic wedding cake for us that was fantastic.

Visited October 2012
Reykjavik, Iceland
“No title”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

This is the place to visit if you would for example like to taste whale meat. But besides the whale meat this is one of Iceland's best fish restaurants and the times I have enjoyed their hospitality the food as well as the service has caused me and my guests to feel welcome and well fed on leaving.

Rego Park, New York
“frozen meat didn't meet expectations and salt is not the solution”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

So before arriving to Iceland I googled top places to eat in Iceland to try and this place seamed to show up a lot in the top 10 places. I was really excited since it's been around and highly recommended by chefs and high reviews.

The Most Important the Food: I was looking forward to this, never had Icelandic food or even whale for that matter. But I heard that this was the place for traditional foods. We ordered the Hakarl (fermented shark). It was...Hakarl, but I think if the waitress had informed us that it is usually served with a shot with akvavit it would have be nice. Minor detail, but it was served frozen. Like it was literally cut from a bag in the freezer and dumped in a tiny bowl. When bitting into the cube it crunched with the ice crystals on the inside.

Next we had the smoked Puffin Breast with Mustard. This wasn't so bad. We never had puffin before and it was ok to eat. Nothing amazing, it was thin slices of meat on a plate with a drizzle with sauce.

Entrees: My father had the Plokkfiskur which we enjoyed as a beginner's dish. It was really creamy and the bread was a sweet compliment, but thought it was a bit salty (this is a trend). I actually enjoyed the black bread a lot. My mother ordered the Horse Tenderloin (Grillsteikt Hrossalund) which was really tender. The meat was really tender which we were surprised since horse is usually a tough meat. The sauce was a bit salty. My father thought the meat was too game-y. Finally my dish was the whale pepper steak (Hvalkjots piparsteik) which I was really excited since again I heard so much about this place. It wasn't anything special. It was too salty and there was something odd about the taste.

After eating at a different location I figured that a lot of the meat tasted frozen and old and it wasn't cooked with well seasoning so it was a really sad experience. Even the bread for the table was salty with salted butter. It was really saddening and ended up coming out to around US$150 which was also upsetting because we weren't even satisfied with the food.

Reservations: It was pretty busy. Showed up on a Thursday around 8pm. I tried to set up a reservation through email, but I only got a response that they take reservations and didn't receive a response when attempting to set up a reservation.

Atmosphere: The decor and space almost feels like being in a grandparent's basement. Posters of different types of whales and stuffed seal sits a top a high shelf. The bar is in the center of the restaurant, but it's relevant that it's the waitress HQ and the storage of the wine bottles. It's a little dated, but you can tell that they wanted to pridely show the local sea life and basic lifestyle.

Service: Service was kinda slow, but courteous. It took awhile for us to grab the bill. It was difficult to grab their attention since they didn't check in with us near the end of the meal, but attentive in the beginning.

Maybe they used to have quality, but it seems like lazy cook habits are now there. I would not recommend this place.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Birmingham
“Nice atmosphere/average value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Nice 'local' atmosphere and packed. Food competently if not excitingly cooked. Price of the cheapest wine absolutely dreadful - about £25 a bottle of cheapish Pinot. And we were charged for four beers instead of two. So mixed feelings...

• Visited September 2012