“Good for a Casual Bistro-Style Meal” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Geysir Bistro and Bar

Geysir Bistro and Bar
Aoalstraeti 2, Reykjavik, Iceland (Miõborg)
+354 517 4300
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #62 of 322 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: International
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Neighborhood: Miõborg
Chicago, Illinois
“Good for a Casual Bistro-Style Meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

We stopped in for a casual lunch and were both very happy with our dishes. I had the lobster salad and my husband had the lobster soup. Both were delicious. My grilled lobster was very savory and my husband's lobster in broth were like little pillows—very well prepared. We did note that Icelandic lobsters are smaller and sweeter than other species we'd had in the past which we enjoyed very much. I would say they're more similar to a larger langoustine than a classic North American Atlantic lobster. Typically I prefer crab to lobster as lobster can be a bit bland for my tasted so that was a nice surprise.

The bistro is located directly off of the tourist center so it's an easy answer if it's your first day in town and you're getting acclimated. The waitstaff was friendly and service in Iceland in general is never rushed. You can linger as long as you'd like, chat and make plans without ever feeling pressured to move on. I would guess that it's not a locals hang-out but we did see other Icelandic people having lunch so it's not a complete tourist trap either.

The prices were about average for what we payed for meals of this class during our visit. You may have sticker shock overall as dining out is typically more expensive in Iceland than in other regions though it's not out of line with what you might pay in New York or San Francisco for a comparable meal. It's more that Iceland doesn't have a wide range of cheap eats as other cities have. If you are looking for a less expensive lunch walk down towards the Old Harbor where you'll find places like the Haitian Cafe or the Seabaron. There's also hot dog stands, the most famous is Baejarins Beztu Pylsur.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

North Gloucestershire
“Friendly staff and great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

We chose Geysir for our first meal in Reykjavik and very pleased I was too .nice cosy family reastaurant with good food and reasonable priced beer .
We enjoyed our dinner so much we ate here for 3 nights running.catch of the day was great (monkfish ) and fish and chips :)

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ireland
“There are better options”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

As another reviewer pointed out, locals don't eat here. I ate here on my very first night in Reykjavik and as I wasn't yet accustomed to Icelandic prices, got quite the shock. However the food was decent, I had a nice chicken club sandwich. The waitress was very friendly and welcoming, something you will find in nearly all Icelandic establishments.

Right next door, is the far superior Tapas Barinn, probably my favourite spot to eat in Reykjavik.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
UK
“Lunch with a view of the Geyser”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

Smorgsboard was just as advertised - nothing fancy and an average portion. Nice spacious venue with a big picture window view of the geyers - main reason for this location. So basically served just as it said on the board. Other menu items looked very interesting too - so this is certainly a place to consider for your Golden Circle lunch stop.

Visited January 2014
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Back for a second time, and not disappointed. Delicious and fresh.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

Excellent, freshly, locally sourced food, served in a relaxed and cosy environment. There is a very good selection of worldwide cuisine, including many Icelandic specialities. Staff are extremely friendly, and knowledgable. I can recommend the Icelandic Skyr cake for dessert!

I can't really fault it, will dine here every time I'm in Reykjavik - highly recommended.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere