“Good meal at reasonable price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Shalimar

Shalimar
Austurstraeti 4, Reykjavik 00101, Iceland (Miõborg)
354-551-0292
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #117 of 321 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: Indian, Pakistani
Good for: Romance, Doing business
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Delivery, Buffet, Late Night
Neighborhood: Miõborg
SUSSEX
“Good meal at reasonable price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

Reykjavik is not a place to visit for a cheap meal. Shalimar is not cheap but not expensive either. Drinks were averagely priced and, as in other restaurants (inc Caruso) tap water is provided without asking. Prawn Pakora starter was delicious and plentiful. Sagwala was quite simply the best I have ever had. We hadn't planned on eating a Pakistani curry in Iceland but are glad we found this very homely place. We recommend a visit.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Oslo, Norway
“Hair in the food and a chef without knowledge of coeliac diasease!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I visited Shalimar on our last day in Reykjavik. I have coeliac diasease, which means I can't eat gluten (wheat, barley, rye). This is a very common diasease in a lot of countries- and our hotel fixed me glutenfree bread for breakfast every day-no problem!

Anyway, when I found my dish on Shalimar that evening we asked if it contained any gluten. The chef answers "no, only in the rice". They had no knowledge of what gluten even was-and that is quite shocking. The chef should really know this. Later on the waiter offered me nanbread-again a dish which contain gluten.

When we finally got our meal I found a black hair in my food. Yummy!!
I got alot of appologies and a 20% discount, but when we were about to pay they mixed up everything and we got another table bill.

To sum up everything, we will never go back even though the food tasted quite good.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Wales
“Good meal”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

Went there the evening after we did the blue lagoon day thing, we were staying over the road so was convenient. We ordered starters, which were cooked in front of us, and the portions were right and we shared them. Had two curries, were nice, freshly cooked but my chicken tikka masala was a bit hotter than what you are normally used to, very very hot and not sweet at all, and also had tons of salt... Meal was good but nothing impressive, we had two sift drinks each and the plates came with some sort of salad and rice too, so we had a garlic naan which was the best of the meal and a chapatti. When we paid, which is average what you ll pay in any other icelandic restaurant having two starters, mains and drinks, it was alright but I think we expected more for what we paid, but a meal was a meal.

Visited February 2014
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

The curries in this restaurant were very good with a wide choice and the portion size was just right . The only thing that I could fault is that the poppadums and chapatis looked and tasted like they had come out of a supermarket and definitely didn't taste homemade. The total cost was a bit steep too!!!

Preston, United Kingdom
“Ok nothing special”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

We always make a tradition of having an Indian on a Friday night, so whilst in Reykjavik we decided to try the Shalimar. Located in near the centre of town. We have to agree with various parts of reviews from other people on here. the guy that welcomed us was ok nothing over the top we sat looking over the really varied menu and decided on our meals. We didn't go for the beers as they were extortionately priced even if you ordered a large bottled beer with 2 glasses 1500ISK so we went for large cokes 390ISK to be told only small bottles available at 330ISK but agreed anyway, as waiter had a take it or leave it attitude. We ordered starters and mains which arrived within an acceptable length of time but as previous reviews said...rice not freshly made but scooped out with ice cream scoop like school dinners from a hatch and not enough of it either. Nanas were freshly made though. Meals a bit hotter than you would expect so make sure you ask for iced water , in a way this can spoil the flavours of the meal. So overall not brilliant and very expensive for what you get and the beer prices are a rip off!!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere