“Food average, service bad” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Eldsmidjan

Eldsmidjan
Bragagata 38a, Reykjavik, Iceland (Háaleiti)
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #142 of 289 restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Delivery, Late Night
Neighborhood: Háaleiti
England
“Food average, service bad”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

Just ate at the bragagata branch. Really nice venue on residential street. Pizza itself was ok, nothing special - slightly overpowering garlic taste as noted by other reviewers. Service however was very poor - everyone (locals) who came in after us seemed to be eating within 10 mins of sitting down while we waited 40 minutes before my pizza was hurled at me in a surly fashion, and my wife's arrived 10 mins later after mine had gone cold....maybe they don't like tourists?

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

79% Recommend
Colorado
“Great pizza!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

This place was recommended by our hotel. We really enjoyed our pizzas! Great crust, delicious sauce. The service was good and the atmosphere was very nice. Would certainly go back.

Hertfordshire
“Excellent pizza, great value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

As pizza lovers my daughter and I visited Eldsmidjan at 81 Lauvalagur Street. It was worth the long trek finding it.

We ordered a large pizza to share and it was huge that we could not finish it! We asked for a pizza box to take back 3 slices to our hotel, for lunch the next day ;) We also had two sodas and the refills were free.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Avoid this place- horrendous food poisoning!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

My boyfriend and I ate here at the end of January 2013. Just popped in for a quick pizza lateish on a Monday night, found it to be pretty much empty, despite this emptiness the waitress seemed to keep disappearing off and we had to find ourselves cutlery and water. We ordered the Pizza Tagliatelle to share, and about half way through eating I started to feel a bit sick. The cream cheese and prawns and bacon tasted a bit funny, but being foreign to Iceland I just thought it might be a slight taste difference due to being in a different country. Oh how wrong I was. I asked my boyfriend if we could leave as I was feeling so nauseous, so we got the rest of the pizza put in a box and headed back to our Hotel (Hotel Klettur, v.nice). As soon as we got back to the hotel I started being violently sick and quite clearly was suffering from food poisoning. As my boyfriend had also shared the pizza with me, not long after I started being ill, did he start too. I can honestly say that as a result of visiting this pizza place I have had one of the most unpleasant nights of my life, if any of you have seen the film Bridesmaids- the scene where they are all being sick was basically how the rest of the night turned out. I have been in touch with the Food Hygiene people in Iceland, and they are going to be carrying out an investigation. I recommend you avoid this place at all costs!

• Visited January 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Maybe they don't like foreigners?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I had read reviews here and on Google maps and so we walked from our hotel 2 blocks away to enjoy some pizza. We walked in and it was as if we were not even there. We patiently waited for someone at the counter to ask if we ordered first or should be seated and were ignored. Then a person came in and one of the staff rushed up to help him.
I then looked at the pizza itself and realised we would probably be disappointed by the food as well.
Not much of a crust/dough and in seeing them prepare the pizzas, yes we could watch and yet they still did not come to speak to us, I wasn't Wellington further our bad experience with poor quality food.
It has been said on more than one occasion that Icelandic people do not do customer service, lets hope this does not ring true on each night the Eldsmidjan is open. I would not recommend them purely on customer service, or lack thereof!

• Visited January 2013