“Eat like a local” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #93 of 321 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Late Night
shepherdstown wv
“Eat like a local”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

As a rule, I try to avoid the tourist traps, opting for local hangouts. From the looks of Vegamot on a Sunday afternoon, it was the gathering place for young locals, families, and friends - most were enjoying the weekend "brunch", various egg and omelet dishes, with a side of crepe and yogurt. Being late in the day, I opted for the lamb shank, since everyone I had met kept saying the lamb in Iceland was delicious. I think it probably took the chef off guard a bit, but when the meal finally arrived, it was divine! The lamb literally melted into the sauce(s), a blend of a creamy celeriac sauce and a more Asian teriyaki type sauce. Truly a memorable meal. The restaurant is located on a side street off of the main shopping area, and a bit noisy for my taste, but it does have a nice outdoor seating area as well, and rain nor shine seem to deter the Icelanders from sitting there! I passed many finer restaurants, with intriguing menus, but they were empty. Vegamot, packed to the gills with locals on a Saturday afternoon , gets my vote!

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Reykjavik
“Good choice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Nice atmospher and food good but not excellent. Too much spices together for my taste. The food was fresh though

Visited May 2013
England
“Reasonable Food, Great Atmosphere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

We ate here on our first evening in Iceland. The place was buzzing, very lively atmosphere and had a nice feel. The staff were excellent, friendly and attentive without being over-powering. There is a good children's menu - plenty for our fussy 9 year old to choose from. My husband had a lobster pizza - absolutely delicious. I had a dish called "hot spot". It was chicken with butternut squash in a spicy sauce. The chicken was delicious, moist and very tasty. The food however, was not warm enough - it was actually lukewarm. There was also a lot of moisture on my plate, so it looked a bit unappetising.
We did enjoy the experience here, it is reasonably priced, but I think I made the wrong choice from the menu.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Yum!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

Delicious food; great atmosphere. Delicious mains, dessert and coffees. A great place to eat in Reykjavik.

Visited May 2013
“Good but food was inconsistent”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We went twice .... the first time I had a salad which was very tasty and good. The second time I ordered a chicken noodle dish that was lacking in flavor and quite bland. Nice decor inside and seems to be always packed full of people. Seems to be a hangout and meet up place for locals. Brunch on Sunday seems to be popular.

• Visited April 2013