“Beautiful, great location, loved it” 5 of 5 stars

You added Apartment K to your Saves list
Apartment K
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   Thingholtsstraeti 2-4, Reykjavik 101, Iceland   |
Houston
“Beautiful, great location, loved it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2008

We stayed at Apartment H1, located one block from the main shopping street. The apartment was absolutely gorgeous and had everything we needed for our stay. The location could not have been more convenient for touring the city (and, surprisingly enough, was still pretty quiet at night). The owners were incredibly nice and very flexible (going so far as to meet us when we checked in at 1 AM!).
The apartment had a *BIG* TV hooked up to a mac mini filled with great movies and with internet (don't bother bringing a laptop, although they do have wi-fi if need be), a phone for making free local calls (note-- all of Iceland is "local" except for cell phones), and a fully-equipped kitchen (with plenty of delicious Illy coffee). Everything was immaculate-- they do an amazing job keeping the place clean (see below).
We don't have many complaints. The apartment didn't have a washer or dryer (although, to be fair, we're on a 3 week vacation and probably needed this more than most people). Also, the place was so nice you really had to be more careful than is necessarily convenient. For example, the counters in the kitchen were made of white (porous) granite-- not exactly the best surface if there is any risk of spilling anything (coffee, wine, spice, etc.).
All in all, though, I don't think you could find a better deal in Reykjavik-- both for the price and for the convenience.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
indiana_pa_usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2008

a beautiful, recently renovated, modern, secure, clean and large one bedroom with private parking, that night the owner met us within a minute and escorted us to this apartment building on laugavegur (sp?), lovely neighborhood and great service, absolutely going back if i can, what a treat to end our vacation there, tv and stored movies on hard drive, cell phone if you needed it, performance is all that counts and this place has it....

Stayed August 2008
london
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2008

The location is good - very close to the centre but mind the city is pretty small too. In general, it was a comfortable stay.

The price was high (paid £150 a night) but the level of service did not meet the price paid. You have to remember this is not a hotel but an apartment. So you have a kitchen but you will have to give up all the nice services you get from hotels. First, there is no reception. That means there is no one to check you in at your convenient time. You have to arrange specific time to check in. There is no concierge. That means there is no one to help you out with travel arrangement or any other city information. Also there is no other facilities, nor internet connection, nor telephone (except an expensive looking mobile phone without costs information), nor breakfast, nor bath tub, nor room service.

There was no information book on how to use facilities. The movie channel did not work, cable channel did not work, bed side light did not work and heating was not working properly either. I reported all of them but the impression I had was they were not really bothered to fix them so I had to fix by myself or get on with them. The bedding was cheap (seems to be from IKEA) and it does not get changed until you check out.

This can be a good place if you need to cook your meals or you have a family. However, next time I visit the city, I am definitely staying in Borg or SAS hotel.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dallas, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2008

I booked Apartment K based on reviews from TripAdvisor. When I got there, I was amazed by the convenient location, the quality of the accommodations, and the friendliness of the owners (Jokull and Kathy).

Due to my travel schedule, I booked an apartment there for the day I arrived (Sunday) and then again on the back end of my stay (Saturday & Sunday), but I still needed to find a place in Reykjavik for Friday. When I arrived, Jokull met me at the apartment (Laugavegur location), upgraded me from my original booking at no cost, quickly booked me a unit for Friday, and took time to show me how to use all the ammenities in the apartment (Mac computer, iPod sound system, 42" television, etc).

The apartment itself was very clean and nicely decorated in a modern style. The location was on the main street in Reykjavik and a short walk to anything in the main downtown area. It's also in a realtively quiet area on the main street, as the further down the street you get, the louder things get at night with the bars and clubs.

I spent Monday through Thursday driving a rental car around all of Iceland. When I came back to Reykjavik on Friday, Jokull and Kathy picked me up at the rental car place after I dropped my car off to bring me back into town. I was then easily and quickly checked into a unit in the Laugavegur location.

My reservation for Saturday and Sunday was for the Bergstadastraeti location. When I woke up Saturday morning, I packed my bag and Kathy showed up to pick them up along with some food I had purchased for breakfasts, etc and took them over to the new location. I spent the rest of the afternoon with some friends before making my way to the new location to check in. The entire process was very painless.

The Bergstadastraeti location is just off Laugavegur in a main part of downtown near the clubs and bars. Everything is very close by and this location is very convenient if you plan on going out to experience the Reykjavik nightlife.

The B1 apartment at the Bergstadastraeti location was very nice. Like the units at the Laugavegur location, the unit was very clean and decorated in a modern style. The apartment also had many of the same ammenities as the others (42" television, Mac computer, etc). There is also a courtyard with a hot tub and a grill.

I found Apartment K to be very reasonably priced. In my research, I found Apartment K to be competitive with many of the other hotels in the downtown area. For my travels, I don't think I could have stayed at a better place. I found the location, the quality of the accommodations, and the friendliness of the owners to be above and beyond anything I could have expected.

I highly recommend Apartment K to anyone who plans on spending any time in Reykjavik. I'll certainly be booking accommodations with them the next time I return to Iceland.

• Liked — Location and the service
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2008

This was our first visit to Iceland. We were meeting friends from Europe and wanted classy accommodation with kitchen facilities for two couples. Appartnent K (specifically, K2) was absolutely perfect: spacious, tastefully decorated, excellent modern kitchen, conveniently located in the main shopping district with access to a variety of foods stores, and all of the amenities one would expect in an upscale hotel. Kathy (the owner) was extremely accommodating and accessible, and made us feel very much at home. Compared to comparable quality hotels, this was a good deal (especially for two couples) and absolutely hassle free. One piece of advice: carefully time your arrival and coordinate with Kathy so that you are not left wandering aimlessly around the city. Unlike the situation with the major hotels, none of the shuttle operators know where to find these various appartments!

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
berlin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2008

this is how we like to stay abroad!!!
chapeau!
we will come back!

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2008

we recently spent two nights at two separate units in Apartment K. both were very spacious, very modern and comfortable. the location is unbeatable, right on the main road in Reykjavik and within walking distance from the center. for any family of more than 2 people you cannot beat the amenities and the price. the owner, Kathy, is very helpful and service oriented. she gave us a fabulous restaurant recommendation and made the reservation for us right away.

my only minor suggestion is curtains - in the summer the sun doesnt set so its quite hard to get to sleep. the apartments only had light linen curtains which were great during the day but a slight challenge at night. we brought eye masks which helped some.

• Liked — location, amenities, comfort and price
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Apartment K? Share your experiences!