“Good accomodation - excellent staff” 4 of 5 stars

You added Apartment K to your Saves list
Apartment K
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   Thingholtsstraeti 2-4, Reykjavik 101, Iceland   |
England
“Good accomodation - excellent staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

We found the staff here were very good. They were happy to help and there is also a welshman working there which is good for any English speakers. You have to check in via a buzzer on Thingholtstraeti, in a building just of the main street of Laugevur. Its easy to find and has the Apartment K on it to help you find it. Once we d buzzed w were greeted promptly and the staff were very efficent and very polite. They allowed my friends to check in early. We checked in a couple of days later. Our apartment was comfortable and central. I would say that the company does seem to have a number of properties dotted around the city as well as in the Thingholtstraeti building so you might not get the apartment you expect in the building where you check in. Our apartment was around a 3 minute walk from the check in building, our friends apartment around the same. Our apartment was fine and clean our friends' was much nicer. So for the price its excellent value you just dont necessarily stay where their advertised address is. You wont be more than 3-5 minutes from the main street and some apartments are better than others. Ours was good but our friends' one was better. So be prepared to not be in the Thingholtstraeti building but expect friendly staff, clean rooms and top drawer service.

544 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

I spent 9 nights in a deluxe studio with my boyfriend in October. The location is steps away from many attractions, museums, the harbour, restaurants and a grocery store. There is also plenty of free/inexpensive parking for those who have a rental car. Our apartment faced the interior of the complex so while we didn't have a scenic view, we had no issues with noise from the street. We only needed help from staff once but they were very accommodating and we have no complaints. The apartment itself was clean, had a comfy king sized bed, a nice tv and basic kitchen appliances and a laundry washing machine.
My only complaint would be that the apartment lacked storage space. During a longer stay it is nice to unpack instead of living out of a suitcase and this apartment really did not have anything aside from a few small drawers in the tv stand.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face the street.
London, UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Having taken the evening flight from London to spend my birthday weekend in Iceland and having to wait for our delayed cab service made us extremely tired. We arrived at Reykjavik centre around 1 am. Waited to be checked in and had a couple with a baby jumping in front of us, they had an overbooking problem and because they had a baby they were given preference even though the baby was fast asleep and we wish we were too!

Anyway, when we finally got checked in on the "K1" suite my impressions were: the apartment is way too small for the "luxury" option, the decoration is pleasant. However, the bloody noise was way too much. I was extremely disappointed with the fact the hoteliers have completely disregarded the predicament people choose a hotel room for several reasons the main being to have a quiet night sleep, or just some regular sleep!

We heard all sort of excuses like, there's no double glazing in Iceland, the location is central, well I know that, I have been to Iceland before. However, this time around I'm paying for it myself and not my parents so I could not afford Hotel Borg, I was just expecting for some regular apartments with a modern twist and some peace for 2/3 days.

I have asked for another hotel room, have spoken to all different staff the whole time I was there but we always got the same excuses. When I say it's loud and extremely noisy I mean it, ear plugs would have done nothing.

All I say it's: sort it out, people need to have some sleep. The amount of reviews in this website that say your rooms are too noisy are far too many for you to keep operating this way.

On top of that, Saturday morning the fire alarm went and disturbed the few hours of sleep we had.

By the end of our stay when we were awaiting for the cab to go Keflavik and back to London we had a chat with an extremely nice guy about our stay that seems to be the owner. He said he was not sure about the bathroom doors (which are transparent) and everything. I do wish him well and the whole staff but the reason I'm never coming back is because the noise made the whole time in there unbearable.

The decoration is nice, the kitchen is very pretty and functional, I really like your oversized lamp. The feel of the bathroom is great, cave like. However, very difficult to keep it clean so I had to use all your towels. The shower is amazing but for that size bathroom makes a huge mess making everything wet. The IPod deck is obsolete and needs replacement as it's the old model.

I wouldn't like to say that but I'm overall very disappointed and will not go back or would recommend to a friend unless they suffer from insomnia.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

My husband and I stayed in this hotel for a week during our vacation
to Iceland. I wouldn't call it a hotel though, it is more like a
studio apartment. It is above the newly opened K-Bar, (which we also
recommend), which is a trendy Korean-style restauant/cafe but don't
worry, its not noisy. This apartment is on the 3rd floor, which is
the top floor (there is an elevator). There is a small kitchen area,
which is really convenient if you don't want to eat out every meal.
There is also a grocery story walking distance to the apartment. There is also free wifi. The
location of the building is awesome! Right in the trendy part of town
near all the shopping, restauants, bars and cafes, walking distance to
everything. The apartments all have modern appliances and fixtures and
they all have been newly remodeled. Each one is decorated after a
theme... our room was the "Travel Room". The only down side is the
parking. There is no on sight parking. There is free parking by the
street until 10 am but after that you have to pay. There are a few
secret places around town that are free, just ask someone where to
find them. The one we parked at was by the pool, just 2 blocks from
the apartment. Also keep in mind, we had to check in at one location
and then he drove us (we followed him since we had our own car) to the
location of the apartment (its only about 5-6 blocks away). But that
is not a problem either since the staff at the restaurant are able to
accommodate you. You don't need to go back to the other location to
check out either, you just need to leave your key in the room when you
leave. We would definitely recommend this place to friends and we would definitely stay here again!

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

We stay in one of there apartment which was on the comer of a main road and could not get any sleep due to the noise from the traffic and on the weekends defiantly don't think you sleeping, had people banging on the door down stairs and screaming outside.Service is not the best either as our Internet, telephone and light in the main room didn't work reported the problem and was promised everyday it would get fix but never did. Wouldn't recommending staying here to friends or colleagues.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

We had an apartment near the main road, but still away from its noisy bars. The apartment was quiet and very pleasant. It situated on the corner of streets Klapparstigur and Hverfisgata, in local house, in the upper floor. Everything was fine and services near.

We managed to find a pleasant and delicious bakery and cafe just neaby in Laugavegur, Sandholt. It was open every day from the early morning. Also all shops were near and supermarket 24h. Staff helped us to settle down and then we didn't need any help, bacause everything was fine!

So we can warmely recommend this apartment to people, who likes easy and comfort living!

Room Tip: See above!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Nuuk, Greenland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

lovely rooms, very close to the pedestrian zone, there is everything you need in an apartment.
The service is good and the staff is friendly, you can easily get to the interesting places in the city.
Clear a place I must use again at your next visit.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Been to Apartment K? Share your experiences!