“A great place to stay in Reykjavik” 5 of 5 stars

4th Floor Hotel
Snorrabraut 29 | Laugavegur 101, Reykjavik 101, Iceland   |
Ranked #36 of 49 Hotels in Reykjavik
New Orleans, Louisiana
“A great place to stay in Reykjavik”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

My wife and I had a studio apartment with all the comforts of home. Spacious and very clean - the apartment was a welcome place to rest after a long day of most interesting journeys across this beautiful country. The hotel staff were very freinedly and most helpful - helped us arrange all of our tours and airport transfer. The breakfast each day was delicious and included a variety of usual fare. We are both looking forward to returning to Iceland and would welcome another opportunity to stay at the 4th Floor.

Room Tip: ask for a studio apartment - they are located just around the corner from the hotel and have a groce...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Polish first
Darlington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

stayed at the 4th floor hotel for my birthday week.booked thru late rooms.com
i booked single room with shared bathroom to save some pennies:)
but when i get there,i was instantly upgraded to double room with my own private bathroom for the same price.
and that is an early birthday present.
the checking-in run so smoothly.i paid for my entire stay straight away once i checked in.late room will not charge your card on booking.they only get your details to reserved the room.
the room are clean,spacious,with own balcony over looking some mountains and the sea.
the bathroom are compact and clean too.
loads of white,soft towels.
the hotel itself is in the main road very close to the main thoroughfare of reykjavik and to the sea side where the sun voyager sculpture is located.
the management and the staff are all very very friendly.
it is owned buy the icelandic and filipino couple.
most of the staff from the reception,domestic and kitchen are from the philippines.and they are all lovely.
the hotel breakfast are plentiful from the traditional cereals to cooked breakfast plus the salad bar,fruits,juices,yoghurts,and some danish breads and cakes.
reykjavik is very easy to explore from the hotel.
they have also a car rental shop and an apartment for a cheaper option.
WiFi is available in the entire hotel and rooms for FREE.
they will book everything for you in terms of tours and excursions.all you have to do is choose which company and they will do it all for you.
in my case i already pre booked all my tours before i fly to iceland.
the receptionist are full of information about the country even though they are not from iceland.most of them have live in iceland for so many years and it is their second home.
i definitely recommend the 4th floor hotel to any body who wish to visit iceland and staying in reykjavik.

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

What the hotel lacks in some areas is made up by the extremely helpful staff who made my stay so comfortable. They allowed me to check in very early as I arrived on an early flight, and it was really good to be able to get straight to bed and have a sleep. It is not a conventional hotel and the building does have a a peculiar layout, for example a sitting room on the 4th floor with a washing machine stuck in the middle and the laundry at the back! The room was compact with the double bed being virtually the width of the room. The bed could have been better and the bed linen was very worn and thin. The decor of the room and furniture needs to be refreshed. The leopard skin design of the bed covers and carpets may also not be to every-bodies taste. The breakfast offered was very good with a wide choice from cereals to a full cooked breakfast. Great friendly service, needs a spruce up, but good value by Icelandic prices.

Room Tip: Select a higher priced room to ensure space.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
T-A
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

The hotel is a liitle bit odd - the rooms are located at the 4th floor of a building that includes other facilities like another guesthouse.
The reception is on the ground floor. The staff was friendly.
The room is small, the double bed has only one free side so you have to crawl into the bed if you are near the wall.
The real problem wad the curtains that were not large enough and let the light in. In the summer there is light 24h a day so good curtains are a must.
The room was clean. The breakfast (buffet) very good.
The location convenient, at the end of the main street.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

This hotel is very central, the staff were helpful and the room was clean. They were accommodating in arranging for a third bed for our room. It lacks character somewhat but was ideal for our needs. There didn't seem to be a 4th floor though!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I travelled to Iceland for my 25th birthday with my partner.

The outside of the hotel is a bit questionable. There is not obvious sign and rather a paper sign in the window, still do not let looks deceive you!

We arrived at the hotel early but the room was not ready, which is fair enough. The hotel provided us with a place to store our bags whilst we looked around the city, however I realised I had lost my handbag and a drama ensued.... When we returned from the bus depot (bag searching) the receptionist informed us that we could use the computers to contact whomever we required, which was very helpful. She also told us she had upgraded us to an apartment.

The apartment was beautiful and very spacious. It was clean, tidy and modern. The TV offered lots of English channels (BBC/ ITV/ Channel 4/ E4 etc) so my tv-addict partner was very pleased. The only complaint he had was that the wifi would not work.

The apartment included living space with a dining table, kitchen (oven, microwave, freezer), sofa and longue chair. There was a coffee table and rug.

The bathroom was clean and spacious.

The bedroom was huge with lots of storage space for luggage. Iceland is light all the time at this time of year (July) so basically there is no night time! The bedroom did not have a blind over one of the smaller windows and the other blinds did let sunlight in. I struggle to sleep if it is not dark so I assembled the top cover of the bedspread to hang off the curtain pole! Anyways, it still was only semi-dark so I slept with leggings over my face lol!

The breakfast was good; cereals, various meats, pastries, yoghurts etc.... We got a breakfast to go bag on the last day as we were flying home early in the morning. I was impressed with this as I have stayed at a lot of hotels were they are unconcerned with your breakfast if you check out pre-breakfast time.

The view across the road was of the Phallological museum.... We didn't go in, however its apparently very interesting.

The hotel is a short walk from the main shopping streets and very close to the sea.

The hotel were helpful in booking us onto a bus back to the airport.

The staff were friendly.

The water does smell of sulphar, however this is Iceland and not a complaint against the hotel.

There was some construction happening, however this did not interfere with our holiday.

I would recommend the 4th Floor Hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Munich
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I stayed for three nights in June 2013 on business. When I called to make the reservation, the receptionist made no note of the fact that there is ongoing construction on the outside of the all sides of the building. See picture to understand exactly what that means. Long story short, I was awoken by deafening screeching and drilling noises only several feet from my head every morning. Construction was indeed limited to daytime hours, but as a business traveler with jet lag who needs to be able to rest quietly in the room at any time, this was completely unacceptable. Rooms are small so it's not like you can move the bed away from the window. When I complained about the noise on day 1, the front desk person initially said I could only move rooms to a larger room (the only one available) for an additional 3000isk fee per night. I told her that was unacceptable, since I was not told about the ongoing construction beforehand and would have stayed elsewhere had I known. To her credit, she found me another room further from the construction for the same price but it was an even smaller room and to be frank, I could still hear the drilling although it was further away. On the upside, a great breakfast and the Internet works great.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Been to 4th Floor Hotel? Share your experiences!