“Awesome stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 102 Reykjavik B&B and Inns
Belmar, New Jersey
“Awesome stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

First off the location was perfect. It's right across the street from the big church so it's easy to find. If you're going to drive out of town (which I highly recommend) it's just down the street to pick up the main highways that lead to wherever you're going. They have a small parking lot to the side you can park in. But if it's full you can park for free across the street in the church parking lot. It's a short walk to restaurants and shopping in Reykjavik. Really you can't ask for a better location. The room I got was with shared bathroom. I never had a problem finding an open bathroom when I needed it. Free breakfast in the morning. The staff are very willing and bale to help you with directions, suggestions, or booking trips. The price was really great too. Iceland can be a little pricey and this place was a deal.

Room Tip: Never had a bad night of sleep here. Never had to wait to get an open bathroom (I didn't have on...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Allentown, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

We spent three nights at Sunna Guesthouse and were very satisfied with our stay.

The location is very good. It is less than a block away from Hallgrimskirkja and maybe takes 10-15 minutes to walk down to the center of Reykjavik. There are shops and restaurants a few minutes away. It was fairly quiet at night, although we weren’t there on a Friday or Saturday night. Our room was right next to the roadway but, other than a stray truck or snow plow or the chiming of the church, the bedroom was pretty quiet. The guesthouse is located at the top of a hill so be prepared to climb uphill from the center of town and just about anywhere else. Technically, you could walk from the BSI bus station to the guesthouse if you’re using the FlyBus option from Keflavik Airport but be prepared for an uphill walk all the way. We used the FlyBus Plus option to avoid this.

We arrived around 8:30 in the morning and, luckily, our room was available for check in. My brother and I reserved a studio apartment which consisted of a bedroom with two twin beds, a small kitchenette area, and a bathroom. The beds were comfortable and the room was more than adequate to accommodate our belongings. There was a futon in the room as well as a desk and chair. There was a small tv in the room but don’t count on getting too much from it – only four stations (the only one in English was religious programming 24/7) and some radio channels. The kitchenette was very useful for us – it had a sink, toaster oven, two hot plates, and a kettle for boiling water. The cabinets were stocked with dishes, cups, glasses, utensils, and pots. The bathroom is very small (probably less than three square meters). I would have preferred more room in the bathroom but this is common in European hotels so I was kind of prepared for this. The water that comes out of the tap does have a very strong sulfur smell, which is to be expected in Iceland. After showering, the entire room smelled which was a bit off-putting. There were two windows in the studio, however, that helped to air it out.

The continental breakfast that was included in the cost of the room was very good. It consisted of yogurt, cereals, fresh fruit, fresh-baked breads, boiled eggs, sliced cheeses and meats, juice, tea and coffee. It was very satisfying and made for a good start to each day.

The front desk staff were very helpful; they assisted us with our queries and had a friendly attitude.

Overall, we were happy with our stay and would consider staying here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

I arrived at Guesthouse Sunna by taking the Flybus Plus from the airport. I arrived around 9am but was allowed to check in after a short wait to clean the room. I reserved a room with a private bath. The room is very basic but clean. There were two twin sized beds in the room with a desk and chair. There was a small TV mounted above the desk. An area for clothing is provided which included hangers and shelves. The bathroom was very small but this is common with European bathrooms. There is a shelf above the toilet to place toiletries. The hot water was very hot but smelled like sulfur which is normal in Iceland. I noticed that the shared bathroom down the hall was larger if you prefer to stay in a room without a private bath. It also appeared to be very clean.

The breakfast was buffet style. There were boiled eggs, sliced meats and cheeses, fruits, breads, cereal, juices, coffee, tea, and water served daily. One morning I noticed that waffles were also being served. Breakfast is served in an area next to the lobby.

The location of the Guesthouse was very good. I walked everywhere. There are many restaurants and retail stores nearby. I liked having the view of Hallgrimskirkja church from my room but the tolling of the bell throughout the day can be bothersome if you are in your room resting. There were many tour operators picking up guests from Sunna. I took two different tours with two operators and there was no problem finding the guesthouse.

The staff was helpful and spoke perfect English. I would definitely stay at Guesthouse Sunna again when visiting Reykjavik.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Winston Salem, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

We stayed for 9 days at Guesthouse Sunna and loved it everyday. The staff was always helpful and friendly; they answered our many questions with patience and kindness. The location was close to shopping and food, easily accessible to buses and taxi's if you want to travel further. They assisted us with locations to visit on our own when we rented a car. The rooms are so well insulated that we did not even need to use heat! We loved it here! Thank you Sunna!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

We stayed at Sunna on two separate one night stays last week. The staff were very friendly and helpful (the front of house member actually gave us some really helpful and SUCCESSFUL tips on where to see the Northern Lights), the location is great. The room is clean although a little small (this didn't bother us and we expected this anyway), the view from the room of Hallgrimskirkja was fantastic and we always managed to find a parking spot. We never had to wait for the shared shower or toilets. The buffet breakfast was fantastic. I would recommend this guest house and hope to stay here again!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

We stayed for two evenings and this place was perfect for us. Get their 2-bedroom apartment. It has plenty of room for the children and a wide sink for bathing a baby. So close to all the action and there is a little playground on the same street.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

I've stayed at Guesthouse Sunna on three separate trips to Reykjavik and honestly, it never disappoints me. The staff there are helpful (they patiently answered all of my silly questions and helped me book all of my tours and excursions), the location across from Hallgrímskirkja is perfect (granted Reykjavik isn't exactly a huge city so in general guesthouses tend to be well-located. But at Sunna you get lovely church views from your window, so that's a bonus), the rooms are comfortable and clean and the breakfast is great (the freshly baked bread in particular is amazing).

I've stayed in both a studio and a room with private bathroom and both met all of my needs. Overall, in a city that can be quite expensive, I think Guesthouse Sunna is excellent value for money. I would (and will) absolutely stay here again and would recommend it to anyone travelling to Reykjavik.

Also, on that note, everyone should be travelling to Reykjavik because it is amazing. Full stop.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Been to Guesthouse Sunna? Share your experiences!