“Ripped Off in Reykjavik at Home” 2 of 5 stars

You added Home Luxury Apartments to your Saves list
Home Luxury Apartments
4.0 of 5 Condominium   |   Skolastraeti 1, Reykjavik 101, Iceland   |
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Ripped Off in Reykjavik at Home”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2007

What you see on the internet is almost solely the penthouse. These apartments are VERY small, the ceilings have no insulation, and the surrounding immediate area IS tacky. Yes they are not typical hotel furnishings, but Ikea design is more interesting. The owner makes friends with people and this is likely why people do not rate it more poorly, but if you read the reviews you will see what is wrong here as it is echoed in many. Please understand that I was not expecting paradise, but I did expect a bed (barely) a reasonable bathroom (not at all), a kitchen (marginal), and the ability to have rudimentary living space (not hardly).

The owner tried to construct a business without the acumen or skills needed to manage such a venture. He needs professional help. This costs much more than far nicer places. The worst aspect is having loud parties replete with some profanity, alcohol and noise right over your bed all night, and a proprietor who takes no action. He sent my husband up the outdoor stairs at night to ask them to be quiet. The party was too rough for us to get any sleep at all. Also if you do not mind essentially sleeping on the floor and having a hard time getting up, albeit on a very comfortable mattress, and eating from a barely functional table, go ahead, but this is such a lovely city you can do better for far less. (If you do decide to go, take a bar of soap, and ask for directions in advance). There is no microvave, no kitchen towels or anything to wash dishes, minimal dishware, no can opener..etc, etc, etc. There is so much overlooked. The sound system is a tiny single CD unit ont he windowsill, albeit with Bose speakers.

While the area is potentially nice, this alley is a grimey and proximal to a noisy street not too bad if you can keep your windows closed). There is a tiny market in the parking space on weekends. It may have been the only really redeeming feature. The owner makes promises he does not keep and seems to appeal to people's emotions to overlook the serious problems here. While he apologized, he would not remit any of our payment but said he would give us a free stay our next trip (pay for a dinner, a glacier trip, etc)---how bizarre----the cost here is more than double some much nicer places, also listed on Trip Advisor, more highly rated also. We did go look at other places, and realized we had been seduced by the misrepresentation posted by Home at Trip Advisor and elsewhere. I

t is not a good place for children at all and I would question safety if above the first floor. Adults adults over 40 are probably used to something nices, esp for the money. People who cannot climb outside stairs, should not even consider this.

What you see on the ad is the penthouse--and the rest of the house is nothing like the penthouse. It is somewhat dishonest, and fairly sad when the potential for better is there. They appear to be redoing the house next door for something similar, so beware! This place cannot last without better management and probably much lower prices. Don't get seduced and ripped off like we were. I wanted so much to like this place that I stayed the week, but I would not want anyone else to have this experience. Iceland is far to beautiful to spoil it at all!

• Liked — The absence of a large sterile hotel environment
  • Disliked — Paper thin ceilings/floors and very noisy!
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
v21988
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2007

Iceland is very expensive and when we arrived they had cooking spices in our cabinets, flatware, cooking utensils, plastic wrap, popcicles in the freezer, etc. Then along with food in our kitchen (in Iceland you need a kitchen - three chicken breasts cost 20 dollars) - simply having a kitchen for the price was great. Then the decor is true Scandinavian - a real eye treat. My husband and I loved the stone pebbles that were laminated under our bed. Nice touch. Then you can't get a better location - it is in the HEART of the city. Plus the owner and his fellow lad are very nice, and they leave you alone and happily bring you whatever you need when you ask for it - from towels to dish rags.

• Liked — It was pure art! Plus Iceland is pretty incredible!
  • Disliked — everything was fine, can't say - there is no pool but the pools you go to in Iceland are the geothermal ones anyway - you'll freeze in a normal pool (yes, even in the summer)
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
Assen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2007

Very nice apartments in the heart of Reykjavik, at exactly the right location. The owner (an interior designer who spent many years in New York) did a very good job to make very stylish interiors that are very comfortable nevertheless. We felt very much at home.

One small disadvantage is that the apartments are a bit noisy

• Liked — Style & location
  • Disliked — Somewhat noisy
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Minneapolis, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2007

Since I was going to be in Germany for business for a week, my wife and I thought it would be great to take a quick 5 day "stopover" vacation in Reykjavik. We had seen the Home Luxury Apartments on several different travel sites, and decided to book our stay there through Hotels.com. That was the easy part.

The plan was for my wife to fly into Reykjavik from the USA on Friday morning, and I was to fly in from Germany that Friday afternoon. She would take a taxi to the property, and I would rent a car at the airport. We would then rendezvous at the Home Apartment Hotel. Well, it sounds like a simple enough plan, but things quickly fell apart for each of us.

After my wife landed on Friday morning and cleared customs and immigration, she hailed a taxi and instructed the driver to take her to the Home Apartment Hotel at Skolastraeti 1 in Reykjavik. "Do you know where this address is?" my wife asked. "Oh, yes, of course!" replied the taxi driver. After an hour ride from the airport plus another hour searching for the address, the taxi driver gave up, turned off the meter, and called his HQ for directions to the Home Apartment Hotel. He finally found the address and let my wife out at the property two-and-a-half hours after he picked her up (and she was $150 USD lighter from the fare, too).

My own experience didn't go quite that well. After I landed on Friday afternoon, I spent over an hour waiting at the Hertz desk just to get the car. Apparently, it was "trainee day" that day at the Hertz counter (lucky me!).

While I think my sense of direction is pretty sharp, I was nonetheless worried about finding the Home Apartment Hotel and the corresponding address (which was not an unfounded fear as it turns out) in Reykjavik, so I spent another 15 minutes at the Hertz counter getting them to point out Skolastraeti on the map. They marked a very short street on the downtown ("Centrum") map that was abbreviated "SKS", and told me that it was my destination. Simple enough, right? Wrong! "SKS" on the map did not stand for Skolastraeti, but instead it represented Skogarstraeti (or something like that).

After that nasty surprise, I was left threading endlessly in downtown Reykjavik and hoping that I could somehow find the street. I had no phone number for the Home Apartments and no way to contact my wife to ask for directions. I was soon reduced to stopping at the curb and asking people on the sidewalk where Skolastraeti was. One man said he knew where the street was, but instead gave me directions to a major thoroughfare called Skolavordustigur, not Skolastraeti. Fortunately, I got lost on my way to that street (Skolavordustigur) and literally stumbled by accident across the Home Apartments Hotel on Skolastraeti. What a relief!

I write all of this to tell people that this property is certainly not easy to find, even for taxi drivers familiar with the city. Skolastraeti (I think it means "School Street") is a very short, one-way street right near the intersections of Laugavegur and Laekjargata streets in the Centrum, and is not on most maps. If you experience what my wife or I did, then your best bet is to simply tell your taxi driver to go to (or ask someone on the street how to get to) the Government House "Stjornarradid". You can literally see it and the statue out front of Ingolfur from the Home Apartments, and I think all denizens of Reykjavik know where this landmark is located.

Assuming you eventually find the property, you will discover that it is ideally located within walking distance of all the points of interest in downtown Reykjavik. There are two good grocery stores (the 10:11 and the Bonus) very close by, and many good restaurants. We found that the best restaurant bargain was the Hressingarskalinn, which is across from the 10:11 grocery store.

Our room at the Home Apartments Hotel was on the first floor. It was very spacious and decorated in a minimalist, modern fashion. It had attractive Scandinavian-style (of course) wood floors and cabinetry. The kitchen was fully equipped and sparkling although the oven interior was very dirty. The racks and bottom surface of the oven had a lush coating of crumbs from many long-since-departed pizzas. That aside, the rest of the apartment was very clean and cozy.

The bathroom contained only a shower, and this was a slight disappointment to me since I was really anticipating a long soak in the cool teakwood tub that was pictured on the website. The teakwood tub (and most other amenities pictured on the website) are for the penthouse room, not the standard rooms.

Two very small bars of soap and two packets of shampoo were provided in the room along with two towels. By the way, you should heed the advice about bringing everything with you that may be needed while in Iceland. These are not empty warnings, and ignoring them will cost you dearly. We ended up having to buy some personal articles (one bar of Dove soap = $5 USD and one small bottle of hair conditioner = $8 USD and one plastic hairbrush = $12 USD), and I nearly had a cardiac arrest condition in the store when I saw the prices.

The bed in our room was a queen sized Tempur-pedic type mattress mounted on a floor of gray gravel that had been polyurethaned. It sounds a bit strange, but actually was very comfortable.

The tap water does have a definite sulphur odor, but when you are on an island that is either a past, current, or future volcano, one should expect this. Actually, you get used to the odor in a few days and it is not really noticable after that. The best part is that there is an unlimited supply of hot water always available.

While this property has all of the positives of having an apartment instead of a hotel room, it also has all of the negatives of an apartment, which, unfortunately, I had forgotten about since it has been many years since I have lived in one.

There is no daily housekeeping or even "touch up" service for the room, which means you will be doing your own dishes and cleaning up after yourself. Okay, so that is not a big deal. After the fourth or fifth day, though, we began to wonder where we could send all of our garbage that had accumulated. It was piling up everywhere in grocery bags that we had saved.

Reykjavik is not a noisy city by most standards. However, this property is somewhat noisy compared to a standard hotel room. You can hear all of the foot traffic on the floor above you, and there was a permanent resident in the apartment below us who was quite fond of practicing her viola or cello or bass (plus breaking into song frequently) on most afternoons and evenings during our visit. There was also some sort of domestic dispute in the neighboring building (and right outside our window) at 4 am one morning. Additionally, some sort of maintenance work (hammering, drilling, etc.) was going on in the room above us one night until around midnight. Of course, it was still light at midnight so I guess the workers may have lost track of how late it was.

These noises were not a big deal, simply a mild annoyance, and if you currently live in an apartment you may not even notice them. If you are looking for tomb-like silence in your accommodations, though, then you should look elsewhere. You won't find it here. There are too many bars and restaurants close by that really get going at about 11:00 pm on Friday night.

The owner and the manager were helpful and pleasant each time we saw them (which was every day), and they were thoughtful enough to give us extra towels and pillows. They also graciously allowed us to use their private washer/dryer one time when we were desperately short of clean clothes.

Overall, we were pleased with the Home Apartments, and would stay there again. Sure, there were a few minor annoyances, but you get to rent a choice piece of real estate that is ideally located in Reykjavik. What more could you ask for?

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2007

Even as a roaming travel editor, it’s not every day that you check into a hotel that has everything you want in a city pad of your own. Located at the epicentre of 101, and tucked discreetly inside an elegant early 20th-century house, Home offered exactly what I look for in an urban retreat – chic surroundings, design surprises and flawless service. My studio apartment was so slick, comfortable and just interesting to be in (each one features a highly crafted décor and Icelandic artwork) that the temptation to stay in rather than go out was irresistible. Add to the mix a perfectly kitted-out kitchen, a bed designed to help astronauts sleep soundly, wi-fi access and free local calls and you have one of the coolest reservations you can make in Reykjavik.

Stayed March 2007
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2007

After almost two weeks touring Scandinavia, Home was absolutely the perfect place to wrap up our trip. Having our own kitchen was incredible, and we ate 3-4 meals at "home" (saving quite a few Icelandic Kroners!) I loved being able to fully unpack my suitcase into the plentiful closets and drawers, spread out and relax. The location could not have been better, within steps to everything you would want to see in Reykjavik. When we came "home" from a day of touring we were more than thrilled to find a bouquet of fresh tiger lilies and a bottle of champagne waiting for us! (We were celebrating my 30th birthday with this trip). I will defintely recommend Home to anybody I know that is traveling to Iceland.

The only part of our experience that wasn't perfect, is that the bus drivers (Reykjavik Excursions) haven't figured out where Home is yet, even though we showed them the address, so we got quite the tour of the city when we arrived. I'm sure this will change as word of this great place continues to spread.

Also, Flybuss (which is definitely the most economical way to/from the airport if you're not renting a car) does not pick up from Home. However, we just grabbed a taxi to the bus terminal and Home is steps from where taxi's queue up and wait. The taxi from Home to the Bus Terminal (to catch the Flybuss to the airport) was 750 IKK, although I think the Bus Terminal would also be within walking distance of Home if you travel lightly.

• Liked — Location, Decor, Size
  • Disliked — No dislikes
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
Mumbles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2007

Located slap bang where you want to be in Reykjavik centre, arriving at Home is liking pulling up onto the driveway of a second home. Private parking right outside and a few short steps up to the door is what can only be termed as a home away from home.

Contemporary design throughout the studio coupled with all the things you need makes this a top notch pad from where you can base a visit to what I can only call a unique and fascinating country.

Agnar and Olafur where helpful from the moment we arrived. Key in hand, quick tour - flatscreen tv, bose system etc - and offer of 24 hour assistance plus free local phone calls we were away for our 3 night stay.

Location wise you are next door to tourist info, have two supermarkets close, great coffee shop round the corner and close to a mass of bars and restaurants.

Get yourself a car (as recommended by Agnar) and drive around the country itself. The roads are easy enough and sometimes you dont see another car for an age. The Geysir is a must and Snow mobiles are great fun, although not cheap, but then again in Iceland you get used to that.

In summary, absolute top accomodation, top hosts & top country.

PS. Tours are expensive - just as easy (and so much cheaper) to DIY with a car.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Home Luxury Apartments? Share your experiences!