“Nice hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #33 of 51 Hotels in Reykjavik
Perth, Scotland
“Nice hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We were only staying one night on our way to Alaska so I booked on the basis of price, location and fact it was on Flybus route (but I think most hotels in Reykjavik are). I got a good deal with Venere but if I'd had to pay a higher price this review would not be so good.

Staff excellent, as they are in most hotels in Iceland. Location very good. Near Harpa, the big new concert hall, the harbour and the Main Street, Laugevegur. Also in a nice area with lots of older buildings, cages and restaurants.

The hotel was pleasant. Modern blonde wood Scandinavian type decor. I can't comment on the restaurant as we didn't eat there. Breakfast was fine with a reasonable choice and good coffee.

The problem was the room. We were in the new part of the hotel which was actually an old building joined to the newer hotel building by a glass walkway on the 3rd floor. Our room, 335, was about as far as you could go and required going up to the 3rd floor, along corridors, over the walkway where we were then on the second floor so had to take a lift - just a moving platform - another floor up. Whew! Room pleasant. Nicely decorated but it was under the eaves so you had to be careful getting out of bed not to hit your head. The real problem was the shower which was a handheld shower on the bath. The bath was also under the eaves, a sloping wall, so you couldn't stand up and head to bend over to get a horizontal spray from the shower.

I like the location but if we returned but would email the hotel to make sure we didn't get the same room.

Room Tip: Don't choose room 335
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

The staff was helpful and the breakfast was one of the better ones during our trip but the room showed signs of wear and tear and the modern but poor bathroom design meant the entire bathroom floor was a lake every time one of us showered. You could certainly do worse but could also do better.

Stayed August 2013
Rockville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I must admit that I hadn't done much research: we were only slated to be in Iceland for 3 days (2 nights) and we had already anticipated we'd be out from morning to evening. So, the rating on Expedia.com gave me enough comfort. Upon landing at the airport, we went straight to the Blue Lagoon (and I'll review that one separately). We were part of group that left the lagoon in the excursion company's bus, and to my surprise, everyone which came from the lagoon got off at same hotel (except some folks that were from a cruiseship docked at the port). So, seeing that all my companions from the Blue Lagoon were staying at that hotel told me that it was a popular place. Admittedly, as a 3-star, the hotel is a bit of of no-frills. Our room was spacious, but nothing to write home about (which I'm not doing). The sink in the bathroom had no counter, it was just one of these pedestal models. So, my friend and I (being too ladies) had travel with all our make-up and anti-aging stuff: we didn't anticipate that one-day at the Blue Lagoon would reverse enough the passage of time to dispense us of our beauty products. But there was space on the floor, so we made use of it: for 2 days, we felt we could rough it up. But after checking in and settling in, I realized that my bag which had my laptop, iPad, and important documents had remained in the excursion bus (put it on the overhead space, and forgot it when we arrived at the hotel). I was panicky, not only because of the laptop and iPad, but more so for the documents which were work-related confidential agreements I was to review.
I went to the front desk and told them of my predicament. The guy at the reception, Elvar Berg (I had to take his name) immediately called the excursion company, explained the problem, and though they were saying to him that nobody had turned in anything in Lost-n-Found, he kept insisting that it was in the bus that had just come from Blue Lagoon. We went to dinner, but my heart wasn't into it. When we came back, we found Elvar on the phone, and arguing with the excursion company. Yet, bag had still not been found. His shiflt was ending at 8h00 AM the next day, but he stayed an hour more to still hassle the company about my bag. The guy who took over from him (a kid with a ponytail) probably wouldn't have worked that hard to get my bag. But for Elvar, it was almost as if he himself had a vested interest (like me) in locating the bag. I'm happy to say that wihtout his renlentless pursuit, the excursion company may have not looked hard. The excursion company finally informed the hotel that found the bag, and Elvar helped me go get it. ELVAR, YOU ROCK, man! At that point, I wouldn't have cared if the hotel had cockroaches. That hotel will get my patronage if ever I go again to Iceland.
Elvar also booked our glacier tour for us for the next day. Also, on the last day, we were leaving on an early flight to Copenhagen very early, (before breakfast would have started), he set up some early breakfast for us which we took with us in the airport transfer car.
Yes, the hotel wasn't a luxury 5-star one, but my room was clean, no complaints. The small sink counter would have probably not been a problem for male guests: it just happens that we women carry extra baggage in terms of beauty products.
We had difficulty turning the TV on. Elvar (again) -seems to be a one-man show (although we saw plenty of other staff milling around- came by and helped us figure out how to get the TV on (the remote was acting up).
Our room faced the front. Because the sun set really late, people were enjoying the summer and bright nights all till past midnight. But we ourselves enjoyed looking at the kids on the square in front of the hotel and the Iceland folks enjoying what must be in short supply: a warm summer day. So, with the curtains drawn, and the windows closed, we slept like babies in spite of the activity outside.
What I liked about the hotel (besides the SUPERIOR customer service) was the fact that I could walk to the picturesque town where we could eat, shop (I bought a nice Icelandic wool poncho) and walk back to the hotel. Some folks on our glacier tour were staying at the Hilton, and when the guide went to pick them up, I was so glad my hotel was in the center of everything.
The breakfast was good (and free). They have some of these grain bars (like the granola bars, but WAY better). If you go there, don't rush to the traditional croissants/bagels, eggs. Make sure you splurge on these bars: they are damn good, but don't seem to affect one's weight (a first for me). I wish I had the recipe. Anyone who can get the recipe, please post in online.
I would give Service and Location a 6, (on a scale of 1 to 5). That's how high I value them.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
CH_channelmanager, Manager at CenterHotel Plaza, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Dear WittyCutie,

Thank you so very much for your very nice review. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we will make sure to share your review with Elvar and all the wonderful staff. We are very fortunate to have very dedicated staff working for us. I know they will appreciate your kind words.

We are also very happy to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast and the Oatmeal bars as well. Please send us an email and we will share the secret behind the bars with you!

We will take all your comments and share with the staff and management.

We certainly hope to welcome you back in the future!

Thank you again for your very kind words.

Eva Jósteinsdóttir
Director of Operations
CenterHotels
eva@centerhotels.com
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

My stay here was a big mistake and my own fault, I usually do my homework a lot better. Iceland is a beautiful Country, it is expensive but you already know that before you arrive, don't hesitate to come here, it is one of the most interesting and enjoyable places that we have ever visited. We decided to stay in Reykjavik for a week and do private day tours each day to different locations, it worked out really well including an amazing helicopter tour landing on the ridge of Ejya - an amazing experience.

This hotel generally has good staff, except for the room cleaning staff. We booked a Junior Suite which turned out to be a small room, in a loft witown low ceiling. I had to sit in the bath and hold a hand held shower head over my head to take a shower. This was for £400 ($600) per night. It gets worse. I spoke with reception following morning and asked for a room change to another suite, arriving back in the evening I was told that there would not be one ready until the next day, understood, late request - no problem. We packed and left our luggage in reception next morning, the staff were very understanding and accommodating.

We arrived back in the evening to a new suite, front facing, bright and airy, we were happy. Until the next morning, woken at 6am with trucks outside the window in the main square, this hotel is very noisy in the mornings. Then we saw the dirt, dirty walls, dirty bathroom, dirty floor, paint peeling from walls in bathroom and bedroom, scuff marks on all walls throughout the room, it is in need of a deep clean, some fresh paint and a cleaner who cares.

Not wanting to post here anonymously - I asked to speak to the Manager on duty and met with Ingeborg, who took my complaint seriously, was attentive, very polite and apologetic. She assured me that she would have the room seen to while we were out and she did, when we returned there were 3 ladies in the room which looked really promising, we went out and left them to it.

Regretably not, they did the same as they did every other morning, the dirt is still on the wall above and below the towel rail, on the wall by the bed (room 242 if any of group management are interested in taking a look), by the light switches, on the floor - it comes off really easily when you try - we did it ourselves!

This hotel struggles to be 3 star by European standards with higher than 5 star prices, expectations are deflated very quickly. Thank you to Melissa for checking with us today and very kindly offering a dinner for us this evening which was not necessary or accepted as we had already eaten and were not looking for compensation - just a clean decent room. She was very pleasant, apologetic, polite and a genuine asset to the hotel group as are all of the staff that I met at this hotel. But I am pretty sure that the management of the group do not appreciate them or support them, when you look through the posts on this hotel these problems have been going on for a long time and have not been rectified by management.

Someone has to be accountable for visiting all rooms regularly and checking for cleanliness, this is not happening here. And did I mention the price of the room ...? That is the same price as the Intercontinental in Mayfair in London, Essex House in Manhattan, and the Cipriani in Venice.! You need a wake up call Center Hotels, tourism is not just July and August, you should not take advantage of your guests with such high prices and poor quality. Have a meeting, fire the right person and hire someone who cares and is given authority not to rely on location.

The whole hotel needs a total refurb, not while guests are staying there and paying top dollar, close it for a few low season weeks and do the work. Who made the decision for jack hammering in the corridoor outside our room at 8am in August - could that not have been floor by floor in the middle of low season Winter....? When you are not charging over €3000 for a 7 night stay...?

Great staff, dreadful management who do not care about how bad the rooms are. As I sit here listening to the noise and looking at the dirt, I regret not doing my homework better. I urge you to do yours and stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
Dear TomAmber,

I was really sorry to hear of your disappointing experience. I am happy that I got to meet with both of you before your departure to discuss your unfortunate stay in details.
It is really unfortunate and I would like to assure you that this is not a typical situation. We take high measures in maintaining high quality in all our hotels.
In your instance we failed and for that we are truly sorry. I believe that we came to reasonable agreement in rectifying our mistakes.

As I have discussed with you personally, we will use your experience to learn from it in order to prevent this from happening again.

Please accept our sincerest apologies!

We truly hope we will have the chance to welcome you back to Iceland and CenterHotels in the future.

Eva Jósteinsdóttir
Director of Operations
CenterHotels
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Reception staff are great and very helpful, and patient as we witnessed them being very professional dealing with some guests asking stupid questions one after another. Another plus point is the free wi-fi in the room and alsothe breakfast. Choices from cold meats, cheeses, pickled herring, jams to scrambled eggs and sausages. The flapjacks are extremely good with a cup of coffee. The negative point was the room - it was clean but was a bit tired and dark. We had a view of another wall so we didn't get much daylight. The TV was old and we could only get CNN but we had wi-fi and you don't go to Iceland to stay in your room all day anyway! I think though we would try another hotel on our next visit to Reykjavik. However the location is perfect.

NEW YORK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Great location--right in the middle of the capital, with shops and restaurants all around. Very modern and spacious. Popular with Americans (as per overheard conversations in elevator, lobby, restaurant etc.). Very helpful desk staff.

Room Tip: 502 is a corner room that will give you a lovely--almost 180 degree--view of the square and rooftops...
Rasta, Norge
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

If OK is enough this hotel is OK. The service in the reception is great, but the hotel has clear signs of wear. The breakfast is one long disapointment, both in basement location and quality.location of the hotel in city center is a big plus.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to CenterHotel Plaza? Share your experiences!