“Reliable, high quality hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Plan ahead and save 20%
Ranked #19 of 48 hotels in Reykjavik
England
“Reliable, high quality hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

I stayed here for two nights whilst on business in Reykjavik as well as doing some sightseeing.

The hotel's location couldn't be better; in the middle of the city and very close to the harbour, only a couple of minutes' walk away from the Harpa conference hall and Sculpture & Shore Walk.

Check-in was prompt & efficient. My Concierge level membership of Carlson Rezidor's loyalty scheme was recognised and the room upgraded to a junior suite.

The room was a good size, particularly for a Scandinavian hotel where the rooms are usually on the compact size, with a very high ceiling. This coupled with the lighter paintwork and wood-panelled floor gave the room a nice airy feel. There was a good amount of lighting in the room, although not as many different reading & work lights as one might have wanted, especially over the work desk and the sitting area.

As you would expect in a hotel this far north, there were excellent curtains with at least types of coverage, to ensure blackout conditions in the summer months for a good night's sleep.

The bed was the usual Radisson standard; soft but supportive, with individual duvets on each side and very comfortable & supportive pillows. It aided a good night's sleep on both nights.

There was a sitting area with sofa, armchairs and table. The sofa was firm but again supportive and comfortable for sitting on whilst reading, even if there could have perhaps been a little more direct lighting.

There was a decent size work desk and massive wardrobe next to it, with plenty of storage space. On the wall was a good size flat screen TV with what looked-like various Scandinavian channels as well as some international ones, such as CNBC and BBC World.

The bathroom was fine; a walk-in shower that was a good size and had a shower unit that adjusted very well for height (being 6'4" I was able to stand under it easily without having to bend down at all) and had lots of hot water and very good water pressure. The basin was a bit on the small size and more suited to just washing your hands rather than washing your face.

On the downside, whilst there was a Nespresso machine with choice of capsules, there were no espresso size cups, only coffee cups. You could fit the cup under the nozzle OK but had no idea how long to keep the button pressed to dispense an espresso cup's worth of coffee into a large cup. There also wasn't any iPod/USB docking station. In a higher grade room of a premium brand hotel, I'd suggest that this is now an expectation of many guests if for no other reason than it charges the device when docked and many of us will identify with having left those proprietary Apple cables at home when you go abroad (or in the glovebox of the car when unplugging the device from there) and being unable to charge the device up.

I've also been spoiled by the incredible A/V system in Radisson Blu Plaza in Helsinki (reviewed previously) that allows you to connect just about any device by any means (Bluetooth, USB, RCA, HDMI) and stream it through the hi-fi speakers mounted on the wall. My advice to the hotel would be to install a similar system here, if only in the business/executive class rooms and increase the room rate accordingly to recoup the investment.

The other downside item was that there wasn't - or at least if there was, I couldn't find it - any climate control for the room. The very effective radiators could be adjusted but that just made it less warm. Granted, in Reykjavik in November, you probably want to be warmer rather than cooler but I would have expected some form of aircon unit, if only to dry the air when you get back in wet & sweaty from having been out on a glacier.

Housekeeping came to make up the room on the second day when I was working in it and I have to say they were very efficient, in terms of the speed with which they cleaned the room and the attention to detail. It's a bête noire of mine when you've half used a shower gel - and left it in the shower - but housekeeping don't replace it with a new on on the little stand of toiletries next to the basin. Kind of like "you can't have a new one until you've finished that one". As a consequence it has become a kind of benchmark for quality; if the hotel refreshes all the toiletries, regardless of which ones I may be using, it's a good sign. Pleased to say that they did this here, as well as refilled the tissues box that I hadn't noticed I'd used the last one (another benchmark for quality - again, how often have you been into a hotel bathroom to see the built-in tissue dispenser empty?).

As a result of the desire to see as much of the city & surroundings as possible, I spent little time in the rest of the hotel and so didn't get the chance to sample the bar and restaurant for dinner. I did have breakfast on both mornings and it was excellent; the usual Radisson Super Breakfast Buffet, with a wide range of different choices including lots of local produce. The smoked salmon was superb and the local cheese - piparostur - is gorgeous. A hard cheese coated in pepper that is fabulous on rye bread. There was plenty of fruit juice on offer as well as generous sized cafetieres of coffee; the local coffee is quite strong and sticky but when it's blowing a force 7 outside (to which the locals don't even bat an eyelid, I think anything less than force 10 is a mere breeze), you appreciate the strength of the coffee after you've drunk it.

Service in the restaurant was very attentive and friendly on both mornings. My experience of Icelanders, like other Scandinavians, is they are not very animated (the opposite of Southern Europe). Instead they are very pragmatic and calm; I think the reason for this is that everything works here as it should do, so there is no need to get stressed at all. All the staff I encountered - front desk, breakfast and housekeeping - were like this, as well as being friendly, helpful and polite.

I paid £339 Sterling converted for two nights which is good value and certainly less than the equivalent cost of a similar hotel in central London, despite Icelandic prices in general being slightly more expensive than the UK.

I would stay again without any hesitation. Looking on the Tripadvisor listing for hotels in Reykjavik, there seem to be quite a few self-catering apartments in the upper rankings and this perhaps distorts the position of the full service hotels. As I write, this hotel is ranked 16th out of 51 hotels for the city but with several apartments above it, without which it would probably be a top ten ranking which I think is better deserves.

There is nothing wrong with apartments but they aren't full service and so perhaps shouldn't be compared like-for-like. As an example, having stayed over in Oslo before I came to Reykjavik, I discovered I was running low of some clothes, so I needed some laundry done. Being a full service hotel with its own laundry service, I was able to get a shirt & some underwear done same day. This kind of facility is why you select a hotel over an apartment.

In the guest services book, the hotel describes itself as a 4-star property and that is spot on. It certainly earns a solid 4 circles on here for providing a high quality overall guest experience.

In my opinion, it is not that far from 5 circles but for a couple of the issues I highlighted above. With a little more equipment in the room, this hotel could genuinely differentiate itself from the competition as being the best in Reykjavik.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
RadissonBlu1919, General Manager at Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel, Reykjavik, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Initially, I would like to thank you for your detailed feedback and description of your 2 night stay here at Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel.
I am delighted to learn you enjoyed our services and felt recognized as a Club Carlson Concierge Member. We value our loyal guests to great extent and do our outmost to make you feel at home while travelling on business.

Our Housekeeping department train and work hard to combine efficiency with attention to detail in their daily work. It´s in the simple things like making sure you don´t run out of soap or tissue paper we can fail or succeed.
Your note on having a AV system which allows our guests to charge phones, tablets etc while also playing music is duly noted and we are looking to implement this in some of the executive rooms during 2014. For now, our guests can borrow chargers at the Front Desk if they have forgotten theirs.

I am very grateful that you took the time out of your busy schedule to share this wonderful feedback. I really appreciate it and know the team will as well when I share it with them. We look forward to welcoming you back again the next time you are in town. If I can do anything for you during your next visit to our hotel, please do not hesitate to call me. The front desk would be happy to connect you to my office.

458 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

We had an amazing time in Reykjavik and the 1919 was the perfect place to stay. Our flight got us in at 6am, so our room wasn't ready for a couple hours, but hotel staff held our luggage while they got our room ready so we could walk around a bit and grab breakfast. The 1919 is really close to the "shopping streets", which are a couple blocks away and an easy walk. There's a bank across the street that will do a currency exchange, which is convenient. There's also a tour office a block away which was really nice, so we could walk to catch most of our tours instead of waiting in the lobby for a tour bus pick up. Our room had a nice view of the harbor which I liked. Staff was so polite and helpful. We had probably 1000 questions for the front desk staff and they answered them all with grace and a smile. They got us a bus to the Blue Lagoon and recommended great restaurants around for us to eat at. Room was spacious, clean, comfortable and above all, warm (super important for us Angelenos!). Breakfast buffet is tops. I really loved my time at the 1919.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I am delighted to read your positive review of your stay here with us at Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel.
It is true our location is superb, being situated in the midle of down town Reykjavik and close proximity to restaurants, shopping, banks and tour offices which is the startup of most sightseeing tours.

I am honored that you choose to stay at our hotel while visiting Reykjavik, and I do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

We arrived at 08:30 in the morning and they managed to get a room ready for us in 30 minutes while we walked around the hotel so that was a bonus. It is close to shopping, great dinner options, bars, tourist information centers, and pretty much everything else we wanted to see and do in Reykjavik. Also, 30 seconds from the bus terminal if you choose to take a bus from the airport. Nice room indeed and the rates were great. Great complimentary buffet breakfast as well. Probably one of the best I've ever had to be honest. More than anything though is the location. I hate being away from the action in any city I'm visiting, but this was perfect and right where I wanted to be.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
RadissonBlu1919, General Manager at Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel, Reykjavik, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your great review on your stay here with us at Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel.

I am happy you enjoyed our services, breakfast and location in city center Reykjavik!

I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Hertfordshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Arrived early spent the day at the blue lagoon on way to hotel, arrived relaxed to a pleasant and informative check in, room 509 was huge and pleasant, yes it has a sloping roof but the space was grand,
Robes slippers mini bar fluffy towels warm and cosy, the reception staff could not be more accommodating with info on local attractions and tours. Noise from revellers was short and brief but not a problem. Of all the hotels we dropped off at the 1919 was the most central for cafes restaurants and places of interest . Would stay again
T

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us here at Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel, out of the many hotels in Reykjavik.
I am delighted that our team made you feel welcome and that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Looking forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Colchester, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights in October during the week and had a lovely stay. The staff were all friendly and keen to help. Breakfast was included and was very well stocked and fresh and a perfect start to the day. The room was very clean.
The one negative was the room was not the biggest for the 3 of us and the queen size bed kept on separating.
I previously read the reviews about noise and can honestly say I only heard a slight noise of drunken people outside on the Thursday night for a short period of time when I had turned the TV off and our room was silent.
My biggest tip would be to pre arrange a pick up from an excursion company as taxis are very expensive and cost us around £85 from airport to hotel. We got a bus back with Iceland excursions and cost about £25. (BTW the Reykjavik airport is not the airport you normally fly in to, you fly into Keflavik)
Would highly recommend and would come back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Gemma,

Thank you so much for your great review of your stay here with us at Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel.

I am delighted to read your positive comments about our service and breakfast buffet. Our aim is to make each and every guest feel like welcomed, and I am truly proud to see we managed this with you.

I do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Bandar Seri Begawan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Spent a very satisfying 5 days at the 1919. The suite we got on the 5th floor was spacious. Whilst the hotel do not have amenities such as pool, this is more than offset by the superb location. It is in close proximity to the many of the local attractions and cafes and supermarkets. Staff are warm and helpful. The interiors are Scandinavian "cool" and minimalist.
Highly recommended

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
New York, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

The hotel has a lovely feel with nice rooms that are a good size and clean with great bathroom products and a good bed and bedding. The staff are very friendly both front office and housekeeping and helpful too.
The hotel is also in a great location between the Old Harbour and shops, restaurants and cafés and taxi stand.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel, Reykjavik? Share your experiences!