“Wonderful experience” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 46 hotels in Reykjavik
New York
“Wonderful experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We stayed here in July for our honeymoon. They upgraded us and the staff was extremely friendly and responsive. The hotel is also very central and you can easily walk around to the shops and the tour company from there. The hotel was not super expensive by Reykjavik standards and is good value for money.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
RD_1919, General Manager at Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel, Reykjavik, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
I am delighted that we played a positive part in your honeymoon and you experienced our hotel as good value for money.

I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Best regards,

Frode Jansson & 1919 Team

494 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Reykjavik, Iceland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

It is a good, family friendly hotel located in the middle of the town. You cant be located more central. The food in the restaurant is very good and not too expensive. The staff is friendly and very helpful.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
RD_1919, General Manager at Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel, Reykjavik, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for this great review on your recent stay with us.
Your comments about the food in our restaurant and about our friendly staff is very appreciated.

I hope to be able to welcome you back to us in the near future.

Kind regards,

Frode Jansson & 1919 Team
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

My girlfriends and I did a 5 day trip to Reykjavik in the off season. We had always wanted to go to Iceland, but the summer months are just too pricey, so decided to check it out in winter instead. The hotels go waaay down in price from Mid Oct thru March. There were a large selection of hotels, but the Radisson appeared to be in the best location and we were able to get a room for all 4 nights for under 500 dollars. Other hotels were cheaper, but it was so reasonable there was no need to.

The rooms were huge by European Standards. The beds were a little hard, but overall pretty comfortable. The beds come with a nice thick comforter that keeps you very warm. The rooms were completely spotless. The furniture was sorta Ikea'ish....modern yet very minimal (this style is typical of hotels in the Nordic countries). I personally didn't care for the location of the 2 windows in the room. We were on the top floor and the windows were more in the roof of the room so you couldn't really look out of it very well. The hotel elevator was also pretty small but again, that is typical of most European hotels.

The service at the hotel was very accommodating and friendly. We had to exchange dollars to ISK and they were able to easily. We also asked for extra pillows, towels etc and they brought it up to our room with no problems in a timely manner. When we needed directions, dinner reservations, or tour reservations the front desk took care of it all. This was a really nice added touch. Its a pain having to do this type of research when on vacation so the fact they took care of it all for you and offered great suggestions was really awesome!

Overall our stay here was awesome. I probably couldn't afford to stay here in the high season, but in the low season, this place is super affordable and definitely a great value!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
RD_1919, General Manager at Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel, Reykjavik, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us.
I am very happy you experienced your stay as a good value for money and that our service was to your satisfaction.
Our team in the reception takes great pride in servicing our guests with their local knowledge, all from what to do and see to where to go and eat.

I sincerely hope to see you again on your next travels to Iceland.

Kind regards,

Frode Jansson & Team
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I was traveling with a friend for Iceland Airwaves. My friend arrived at the hotel earlier than I did and they were able to let her into the room without me which was great. The room was just the right size - room enough to let 2 full suitcases explode over the room and still have space to sit and chat without feeling claustrophobic. The bathrooms were very clean and well stocked. The front desk staff were very helpful and attentive and were able to give directions as needed. One of them didn't know how to get to the main bus station but was able to call us a cab driver who did know the way. I didn't eat in the hotel restaurant/participate in the happy hour but those were available to guests. The hotel is very near Harpa and the famous hot dog stand everyone raves about. If you want to be in the center of the action, I recommend staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: We had a window facing the water - it was only a bit noisy because the wind gusts created a whistlin...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on your stay at Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel.

It is great to know you both enjoyed your stay with us during Iceland Airwaves despite the winds from Hurricane"Sandy".

I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you on your next trip to Iceland - and then be sure to try our Happy Hour at the bar which is great value for money.

Best regards,

Frode Jansson & Team
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights. Good location. Clean rooms. We had one of their suites. You can't beat the location of this hotel - it's smack in the middle of where you want to be. The hotel is located centrally in Reykjavik in an area of the city with many bars and restaurants making it convenient for eating out or shopping. Our room was clean and nice enough, but was somewhat small and with a bad view. The hotel is clean and comfortable, staff is most helpful and very friendly. One negative remark must be made about the housekeeping - one day our room was not made at all, another day they forgot to replace the amenities.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review!

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed our indeed central location. The location couldn´t be better when it comes to exploring the city of Reykjavik.

We will be sure to take your comments about housekeeping to hart so future guests can be sure they will have their room cleaned every day.

I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel next time your travels brings you to Reykjavik.

With kind regards,

Frode Jansson & Team 1919
Northampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I just stayed there for the Iceland Airwaves Music Festival. It was part of a package deal with Icelandair (the best airline!). The room was clean, well appointed and a simple modern design. There was plenty of space. I requested a higher floor because I was traveling alone and wanted a quiet spot. My request was met, and despite the notorious Iceland night life, I slept peacefully. The breakfast was laid out well and included much variety. It was better than two other spreads from hotels I stayed in during previous trips there.

The desk staff was fantastic---professional and helpful. When I arrived at 8:45am, the type of room I requested was not ready, and I was weary from the red eye flight. I asked if another room was available, and the woman at the desk said there were other rooms but they would not be what I wanted/requested. She was clear, and I trusted that it would be better to wait for the room I wanted, so as I was about the check my bags with her, she told me that the room would be ready in 45 minutes rather than hours later because someone had just checked out. She knew I wanted a shower and the settle in. I was not obnoxious and she was helpful. Icelanders are very helpful people, and I recommend that American travelers there act in kind in order to be met in the process.

Room Tip: High floors.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights. Good location. Clean rooms. Good breakfast.

but. Do not stay in this hotel over a weekend if you want to sleep. As other reviewers have pointed out, the noise outside is intense and goes on until 4AM. Poor gymn.,

Helpful staff except for one poor guy who seemed to get eferything wrong, including booking us inot the wrong restaurant, misdirecting us to the wrong restaurant, not getting our room serviced, bringing cold not hot milk. It was always him and in the end we found it funny. Staff lovely. Restaurant poor for main meal, had a luke warm burher and had to wait ages becasue large party in main restaurant and we in the bar.

Room Tip: Try to ask for a quiet room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel, Reykjavik? Share your experiences!