“Great location and Unique Rooms” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Plan ahead and save 20%
Ranked #21 of 51 Hotels in Reykjavik
Portland, OR
“Great location and Unique Rooms”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

My partner and I stayed at the 1919 on two separate occasions during our recent trip to iceland. We booked "business" rooms for both stays. First stay was on our arrival day (6:15 AM) into Reykjavik after a relatively short four hour "overnight" flight from Boston. We arrived at the hotel around 9:30A, and our room 401 was ready! (I had emailed the hotel requesting early check in because of our early arrival. The hotel responded stating it coudln't guarantee room availability at that hour but would try). Second stay was for two nights in room 206 at the end of our Iceland visit in room.

While expensive at $318 or 37,000 kroners (though perhaps not for Reykjavik), we were happy with the service and value.

Room 401 faced the street from which we had partial views of the harbor and the new performing arts center. Spacious with plenty of seating and a Nespresso machine with a variety of espresso capsules. Room 206 was an L-shaped corner room with a direct view of one of the principal shopping streets. Less seating but a much larger bathroom. Configuration of both rooms was quite different (see attached images), and each had its advantages.

Overall pluses of the 1919 hotel:
1) Excellent location! Many of Reykjavik's best restaurants are within a block or two of the hotel. The new performing arts center is nearby.
2) We experienced friendly service (impressed that our room was ready at an admittedly difficult time. Perhaps the hotel was not full the previous night).
3) Contemporary design. Some might call this cold, but we loved the sleek modern furnishings and hard wood floors.
4) Fabulous breakfast in a very stylish dining room which was included in the cost of the "business" rate. Variety of breads/pastries, yogurt, cereals, cold meats, cheeses, salmon, scrambled eggs, sausages, bacon, and potatoes.
5) Small but very adequate workout room with a Lifefitness treadmill and elliptical machine. TV monitor was available but I could never get it to work, so I used by iPod. Refrigerator full of cold, bottled Icelandic water was available.

Minuses:
1) Room 206 (corner room) is very noisy on a Friday night with the infamous revelry that goes all the way until 4:00AM! Even with earplugs I could hear the constant beat of music that prevented any sleep. This wasn't the Radisson's fault, but if this weekend catharsis is an ongoing feature of Reykjavik behavior, the Radisson might consider better sound proofing the next time they renovate.
2) Lobby decor is less appealing (to me) than the rooms or dining room--rather dark and austere compared to light and modern.

Overall we were very happy with the 1919 hotel and would make this the base of any future visit to Reykjavik.

Room Tip: Book a "business" rate and email the hotel ahead of time asking for a quiet room, especial...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

My husband and I visited the 1919 Radisson Blu for one night at the start of our honeymoon, thinking we'd start in style, but we could not have been more wrong. When we checked into the hotel at 6pm, the hotel did not seem to be expecting us and for the first day of our honeymoon gave us the smallest and most odd shaped room in the back of the hotel over looking the staff smoking area - horrible... After asking the rather rude and unhelpful staff to be moved, the next room offered to us was not a lot better, and after some harsh words we were relocated to a much bigger and nicer room. It was disappointing to have to argue with them as we'd just arrived. The room was OK but quite cold, and the hotel had no baths, only showers which I was surprised at. The best thing about the hotel is the breakfast, it was excellent compared to all the other 12 places we stayed on our trip. It only gets 3 stars because of the poor service and unfriendly staff. Really, for a Radisson Blu not great.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for the harbour view room. The other rooms are not great views! Avoid being at the...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Miami Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

The 1919 is one of two Radisson Blu properties in Reykjavic (the other is about 3/4 mile away), so be careful when booking. IMHO the 1919 is in the best location in Reykjavic -- about two minutes walk from the water-front on one side, and one of the town's bustling main city center squares on the other. The rooms are on the small side, but well appointed and comfortable. The hotel offers free wifi, and has packages that include a deluxe breakfast that otherwise will run you $30.00.

Room Tip: Ask for an outside room with a view - the internal rooms face a non-descript building center (no vie...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Neuchatel, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

We stayed here for about a week in less then fortunate circumstances (accident) and have to say, this is a service driven hotel. All our needs were attended to. Our room was upgraded, therefore we feel we had excellent value. Having seen the standard rooms, we would have found them a bit expensive.

The rooms on the street are a bit noisier, but we were offered a room on the inner court, which was perfectly quiet.

The breakfast is variable. If the hotel is full, the breakfast and choice is full. If there are only a few rooms booked, the breakfast choice was more limited, and they cut corners as for example reheated croissants.

So for us this stay was made very comfortable and memorable by the super friendly and service driven personnel.

Room Tip: For quietness, get a room facing the inner court.
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Ottawa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

the good: location is very central. staff were friendly if not particularly competent. breakfast was good.

the not so good: the room - be careful about which room you get. I spent 6 nights in a room with a severely sloping ceiling that made more than half the room uninhabitable. I must have banged my head on the ceiling two dozen times (Manager: note the number of dents on the ceiling indicating that I am not alone in this!). Unbelievably they have a desk, etc, in the part of the room where you can't even sit without ducking your head. The room also had no windows and was very hot all of the time. All of this for a rate of about $300/night is unacceptable to me.

bogus charge added to my credit card: upon check out there was no problem with my bill. Now after arriving home, I see they have unilaterally entered a charge on my credit card. Not sure what its for, but I'll be getting to the bottom of it (I had no room service, mini bar, movies, phone charges, etc).

staff was rather incompetent (though friendly). For example, on the one morning I had to sleep in, then phoned my room at 7:45 a.m. to see which tour I was planning on taking that day. I had booked no tour whatsoever. They also gave me incorrect directions on several occasions.

Overall, I would not stay here again. There are better options in central Reykjavik for your money. This hotel charges top dollar, but its rather worn and not worth what you pay. Especially when you get a room in which you can't use more than half of it.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
RD_1919, General Manager at Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel, Reykjavik, responded to this review, September 7, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel. We appreciate your comments and will follow up on them so other guests will not experience this in the future.

I would be very thankful if you could contact me directly to sort out what has happend to your invoice, and to give me the chance to make this right.

Kind regards,

Frode Jansson
Frode.Jansson@radissonblu.com
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

This hotel is in a great location and is clean with comfortable beds and a nice bathroom. The cons with this hotel is that since it is in such a great location it is very loud at night. We were in a junior suite facing the water and were up for most of the night on Saturday night because of all the noise. Icelanders also don't stop partying until 4 or 5 a.m. and we had run the marathon earlier that day so we were very tired and still had trouble sleeping. I even wore ear plugs and still was awoken most of the night by the noise. The breakfast buffet is not very good and not worth the money but there are no real 5 star properties in Iceland so this is one of the best out of the bunch. One thing that bothered me was that they overbooked the hotel and we were forced to stay in a pretty bad hotel the first night because they didn't have any room for us. They did upgrade our room as a result but the hotel we were moved to was very far away and pretty gross.

Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
RD_1919, Director of Sales at Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel, Reykjavik, responded to this review, September 2, 2011
Thank you for this feed back regarding your stay at the 1919 Hotel.
First off I would like to address the overbooking situation. This is unfortunate that you were affected as this kind of situation is never a pleasant one but in the hotel business does sometimes happen. I am happy that it worked out and the hotel could keep you in the hotel for the 2 night stay.
Our house is a historically protected building and thus our rooms have a lot of different characteristics. The top floor is generally the quieter option when staying in Reykjavik on a busy weekend such as most weekends in August when there are various festivals going on and downtown can be quite noisy! I am pleased that this noise was not too disturbing and that you enjoyed our breakfast buffet during your stay.
I will certainly pass along your comments regarding dessert size to our chefs! We never want to disapoint a sweet tooth!
We hope you had a safe trip home- best wishes
Robyn Phaedra Mitchell
Director of Sales
Thessaloniki, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

We stayed for a couple of nights at the Radisson Blu 1919 hotel and we had an enjoyable stay there. Upon arrival we were informed that the hotel was overbooked and thus we had to go to the other Radisson for the 1st night, but as we stayed for a couple of nights only, we complained and the hotel tried to solve the situation, as it did, and finally we were able to stay for both nights at the 1919. The room was in the attic, so without any view, but it was spacious enough with a sofa corner, in generally good condition, but with a very small bathroom with limited counter space. We did hear a bit of the noise outside of the hotel, but it wasn't as bad as described in some other reviews, and it should be expected considering the hotel is conveniently located in the very heart of the city. Breakfast was good, with an average spread, and staff in most cases was kind and efficient. Restaurant was just ok, nothing good nothing bad, but with ridiculously small portions for desserts.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel, Reykjavik? Share your experiences!