“Wish I could review but ....” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Reykjavik Centrum

Save Saved
You added Hotel Reykjavik Centrum to your Saves list
Hotel Reykjavik Centrum
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Adalstraeti 16 | 101 Reykjavik, Reykjavik 101, Iceland (Miõborg)   |
Ranked #17 of 46 hotels in Reykjavik
Easton, Pennsylvania
“Wish I could review but ....”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

The hotel cancelled my reservation I made 4 months in advance for their nicest room for an anniversary trip over New Years less than 6 hours before my flight. On top of that, they tried to push me to a budget hotel on the outskirts of town. Neither the hotel nor the room were even close in terms of being comparable to what I reserved.

When I called to discuss this, I was told the booking manager was gone and would not return until Monday. Seriously, you overbook the hotel, don't honor a reservation from 4 months prior and don't have someone besides a desk clerk to talk to until 2 days later? I was told to send an email (still no response as I prepare to board my flight) ... Epic fail in terms of customer service.

We will make the most of our trip, no thanks to the Hotel Reykjavik Centrum.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

813 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

First off, I will say that I didn't have the best experience of Iceland. I came to experience a white Christmas and see the Northern Lights, and I was let down by the weather. I had tours cancelled and I didn't realise everything (and I mean everything) would be shut over the Christmas period.

But, that aside, I don't feel like Hotel Reykjavik Centrum improved my spirits by being particularly spectacular.

The staff are friendly, and very helpful -- and tried to help me out as much as they could -- but the room only had a single-sized bed and an ancient analogue television which either had audio issues or a fuzzy reception, and the internet was very poorly.

While I didn't come to Iceland to experience the hotel room -- my Northern Lights tour was cancelled, and because this was Christmas night -- there was nothing (at all) open to do anything else in town. So I was confined to my room with a crappy television and crappy internet.

Unlike some of the other reviews, WiFi is FREE, however, it is provided over an unsecure network which I disliked from a general security and connectivity standpoint -- and it was dead slow. My room on the 3rd floor and got consistent connection of 2/3 bars, but the internet connection constantly dropped out or slowed to dialup speed.

After a crappy Christmas day with a cancelled tour and nothing to do - I wanted to Skype my family back home but couldn't get a stable connection because of the hotels Internet.

Again, not entirely the hotels fault, but I felt that they didn't provide me with a service that could have perhaps helped make up a disappointing day.

Just other little things -- like for Christmas dinner (which I was now available for when I thought I would be on a tour) -- their restaurant, one of the only things open in town -- was booked out completely.

While I understand this, I kind of hoped that they would keep a section/few tables open for hotel guests to walk in without a reservation.

In the end though, it was a disappointing Iceland trip that really spoiled my mood and the Hotel did nothing "wrong", I would recommend you stay there for the location and the price and I will most likely return when I come back to Iceland to have a better trip than this one.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

We stayed 3 nights in the Hotel Centrum. It was a perfect location for us to explore the city from and also to get to Grayline with whom we'd booked our tours with. We had upgraded to a deluxe room which was very spacious. Superking sized beds (two singles basically put together), dressing table, wardrobe, comfy chair and a little sofa. Very nice. The bathroom was a nice size as well. There were not many free TV channels to chose from but we were not there for that.

Breakfast was excellent, cooked or continental (or both) buffets with a great variety of items to have, juices and teas and coffee of course. All you could need in honesty.

We didn't have to engage the staff much but when we did they were very pleasant.

The only mild complaint is the wooden floors - if you have anyone heavy footed in the room above you will hear them go about their business. But other than that it was a very peaceful place.

Would totally recommend and stay there again.

Room Tip: We upgraded and chose a double deluxe room at the back (well, to the side) - 211 which was excellent...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Ledyard, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

We stayed here for three nights and enjoyed every minute. The room was quite large with windows on three sides looking out over a small park and a patio area on the corner in front of the archaeology museum next door. The hotel is actually located over a dig site which has been made into a museum explaining early Icelandic setllements. Reykjavik is fairly compact, so the hotel is only a few blocks from almost everything, but seems to be in a quiet corner. ( Since we were there in very low season, I can't be sure about this for times like mid-summer.) They have a good restaurant where a very good buffet breakfast was also provided for residents. The only complaint I might make is a shortage of electric outlets--we had to unplug the coffee pot in order to accommodate our computer plus several chargers.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013 via mobile

Just back from a fantastic stay, this hotel was so peaceful we sometimes thought we were only ones staying there, breakfast was excellent, the staff were helpful, we did have problems with room door lock but this sorted immediately with room change and complimentary bottle of wine, the location was perfect short walk to bars and restaurants we will be going back to Iceland and will try stay at this hotel.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Wetherby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Stayed for one night. Hotel is interesting and very well located. Our room on the top floor was very small but fine for the one night. I wouldn't have wanted to spend several nights in such a small room.
Hotel is next to the settlement museum and within very easy walking distance of everywhere in Reykjavik. Staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

The hotel is well located in the city centre within easy walking distance to all the restaurants and café and shops in the main city. It is also within walking distance to the famous hot dog stand and burger stall. The room is clean, spacious and the hotel staff is friendly. There are great restaurants that are just round the corner. Breakfast is normal though. Will definitely stay here again if I ever come back to Iceland.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Reykjavik Centrum? Share your experiences!