“great location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Reykjavik Centrum

You added Hotel Reykjavik Centrum to your Saves list
Hotel Reykjavik Centrum
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Adalstraeti 16 | 101 Reykjavik, Reykjavik 101, Iceland (Miõborg)   |
Ranked #14 of 52 Hotels in Reykjavik
Bolton, United Kingdom
“great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Stayed here for my birthday, 24th-28th March. First impressions very positive, polite attentive staff, nice bar and a small, well appointed restaurant. Room on the third floor was of the standard we expected, but the location is what makes this hotel. It's central to all amenities and even has an excellent museum underneath telling the history of Iceland and especially Reykjavik, [there is an additional cost].Even better was being comped breakfast whilst we were there because it was my birthday!

Room Tip: try for a room overlooking Aoalstraeti, the oldest street in Reykjavik
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stayed a few nights while visiting Iceland/ Reykjavik. The hotel is well situated, within walking distance of everywhere you need to get to in town. The room is a fine size and like other Scandinavian places has split duvets..have yet to get used to those!!

Rooms were well heated given we visited when still winter conditions. This is very important when returning from northern lights trip in wee hours of morning frozen! Staff were pleasant and helpful; though may seem standoffish I think this is more that they are slightly more reserved. Once you break the ice they are very friendly and willing to help.

Due to excursion plans we ended up eating at hotel twice, in bar and restaurant and food was good..better than I would expect from similar hotel. The bar food was more reasonably priced, but not fine dining like restaurant where you pay a bit more. We had been warned food is expensive in Iceland, and while certainly not cheap it was not too bad.

Some tips for when in Reykjavik / Iceland. We went in March and we're very lucky with weather. While very cold it was mostly clear. As a consequence, bright so sunnies are a must, as are several layers. Bright doesn't mean not windy. Layer up, bring a hat and maybe two pairs of gloves. If you are planning northern lights tours then you cannot bring enough layers! No doubt you'll end up in middle of nowhere standing out in elements waiting for movement..it gets cold while waiting!!
We went on large group tour. I'm unconvinced I would do that again. Certainly for first trip it worked, they tried their utmost to get us to a location to see the lights and we were lucky enough to see them. However the downside is the sheer number of people on tour with several buses going in convoy. Going on smaller group tours are possible but at an expense. Alternatively do as some of our friends did and travel around Iceland, chose accommodation away from beaten track and hopefully you'll see lights through sitting room windows!

We did a tour of golden circle which is worthwhile if weather good as see some amazing scenery. The blue lagoon is a must and a firm favourite from our tour...though be wary jewellery tarnishes in water.

Lastly, don't underestimate how busy town gets with locals at a weekend and booking for restaurants is advisable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Longmont, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

This hotel is in the perfect location. I read some reviews debating whether to stay near the airport or at the Centrum, and hands-down, stay at the Centrum. It's convenient to everything and it's great fun to get out and about exploring this small area. If you take a tour, note that you will be the last one off the bus, so add extra time for that. We had a room in the second building, outside the main hotel. It was a small apartment and we felt it was just as convenient as staying in the main building. We will definitely stay here again, but there were some issues during our stay (July 6-9): Noise. We heard several people complaining about noise late at night in the hotel (we didn't hear anything in our apartment). I suspect this is due to the fact that some tours don't finish until midnight during the summer. We ran into several people that took these late night tours on the days they fly in. Breakfast. The main dining room is not large, and they do open the bar/lounge area in the morning for seating. But I was shocked to see a tour bus pull up at 7:30 and drop the entire bus off for breakfast at the hotel. There were clearly more people than the dining room could handle. If you can, I'd suggest waiting until after 8:00 for breakfast. Several items did not work: the refrigerator in our room was broken and no one came to fix it; first the internet, then the TV went out our last two days. Not that the TV is a big deal -- the number of channels is very limited. But we'd been traveling for several weeks and depended on our iPads. Neither was working by the time we checked out. In spite of all this, we'd stay here again. Iceland is an amazing country to visit and they love tourists.

Room Tip: Apartments in the secondary building may be quieter
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
CT, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Our room was on two levels with the bed and desk on the 2nd floor and the bathroom, tv and sitting area on the 1st floor. The staircase was steep and narrow and a bit scary in the middle of the night to get to the bathroom. Aside from that, it was clean and nicely furnished. The staff was nice for the most part. Although we had an early morning flight and wanted to bring our breakfast with us. Breakfast was included in our room rate but they wanted to charge us $20 to take it out. Once we complained about that, they waived it, but then were very sluggish in helping us with containers, plastic forks and such. The location can't be beat, right in the middle of everything!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Wenatchee, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed here for two nights on our way to Amsterdam from Seattle. It was a very nice hotel, clean, good service and convenient to the old town walking area. It is next to an excellent restaurant, the Fish market. We definitely would stay here again if we returned to Iceland in the future.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

This small hotel is in a great location and the staff is extremely helpful. They even applied our remaining Icelandic cash to the bill and charged the rest when we checked out so we wouldn't be left with worthless money. In response to the reviewer whose room was noisy, I closed my windows and all the noise disappeared. A nice breakfast buffet, but go after 8:30 when the tour groups have left the hotel. The architecture is interesting--a new addition to an 18th century building.

Room Tip: Try upper floors if you want a quiet room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

The hotel is actually nice but my experience staying here wasn’t the best. I'm a light sleeper so I called ahead to make sure I got a quiet room. The reception said they would make a note and find a suitable room. I came with a group of several people all staying in the same kind of room; I was the only one asking for a specific quiet room. I was the only one given a room next to the elevator and with joining doors to the room next to me. I could hear everything which went on in the next room and the elevator and people standing waiting for the elevator. I wasn’t happy at all and asked to be moved but they could not make this happen. I didn’t get an explanation why I was given this room when obviously they had quieter ones given to my fellow travellers. I found the service at the reception to be poor most times. But the service in the breakfast, pub and restaurant were very good instead.

If I disregard this experience, the room was spacious, clean and good shower pressure. The bathroom is small but it was fine for one in my size. It’s possible to get Wi-Fi in the room for a fee of 500isk/day or 150isk/hour. For me it wasn’t possible to use Facetime but it was sufficient for mailing and such. There was an old TV in the room but I never used it. The room had a view to the back overlooking another house and their back garden. The location is great, just in the middle of town.

The hotel breakfast was nice, they had everything I needed, several kinds of breads, warm stuff, cold stuff, yoghurt's, fruits and berries, pancakes etc.

Room Tip: Some rooms have joining doors which arent sound proofed as much as a wall.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Hotel_Centrum, General Manager at Hotel Reykjavik Centrum, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear guest

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review of the hotel. I'm happy to read that your stay here with us was a success. I am truly sorry that you did not get what you requested and we will be more careful in the future when applying rooms to guest if they have special request. Thank you again for writing this review, it will help us to do better.

kind regards.