“A Must See for Music Lovers” 5 of 5 stars

More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Wynantskill, New York
14 attraction reviews
“A Must See for Music Lovers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

Great and informative cutting edge record (music) store just off the main shopping street. The employees know their stuff and you might glimpse the next Bjork, OMAM or Sigur Ros browsing there. Great place to learn about the local music scene.

Visited July 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Madison, Wisconsin
17 attraction reviews
“Not what the NY Times Said”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

The NYT 36 hours Iceland said to stop by here on Friday for live impromptu music jams. Only seems to happen in the summer

Visited February 2014
rocky river ohio
9 attraction reviews
“great record store”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

extremely knowledgable and helpful staff did a great job finding music for us to take home as gifts.

Visited February 2014
Summit, New Jersey
13 attraction reviews
“Godlike - One of the best in the WORLD”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

I'm a new music junkie. I am a regular at Tunes in Hoboken in New Jersey and have been to a number of CD/Record stores around the world but this one - this one will always have a special place in my heart. I was doing the usual Christmas Orphan routine this 2013, spending time in a city I'd never been to over the holidays. I'd read about this place and zeroed in on it immediately - easy to find down the street from the Church, Hallgrimskirkja. The reason why I was blown away by this place was more than anything else, it brought me back to that place where I first fell in love with music. I'm 52. I can remember one night one summer long ago listening to the song "Dogs" off "Animals" with these big headphones on in a basement - in the dark - with dogs. I can remember first hearing the Beatles alone in my room with headphones on. I was a disc jockey in college and as Captain Kosmos, I was in another world, with my headphones on. And sitting there in that basement, with the headphones on, peacefully, blissfully, timelessly allowed to breath, to be and to allow the music to seep into me, I discovered what's been buried under years of rush and work and run and strive and buy and move on and on. To say it's intimate is not nearly what is special about this place. It's 2 floors of selections, it's a peaceful living-room vibe to the place and it's the accomodating, tres cool staff and so much more. Prices are what they are - $25 to $30 for most but hey, it's PrICELAND, lol The day prices drop, this island will be overrun and lost. Prices did not detract from my experience. Two Austrian teenagers sat nearby doing the same thing I was doing: getting swept away by music. For me it was discovering other bands outside of Sigur Ros and I'm sure other music fans do the same. And to top it all off, the counter dude came down and offered me coffee - free - like it should be. The day I return to this place, I will return to these evenings I spent there. Glorifying and romanticizing what is normal in Iceland? Yes, because the world has forgotten what "normal" and the love of music for music is, all too often. Go. Revere. Relish. Relax. Recharge. Reenergize - and re-be. And all in one of the most beautiful cities on the planet.

Visited December 2013
Toronto, Canada
70 attraction reviews
“Great spot to buy some music - and they'll let you listen to it first”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

Finding 12 Tonar was a happy accident. There are at least two 12 Tonar shops in Reykjavik (I saw 2, maybe there are more) the one we shopped at was at Skólavörðustígur 15, 101 Reykjavík.

We wandered in to ask some advice on music. They were helpful with suggestions, then opened a few CDs for us to listen to, so that we could decide on which one we wanted. They have a comfortable couch area for sitting back and relaxing while listening to music.

The guy serving us was interesting to talk to and the shop had a good feeling to it.

There's a table filled with CDs by Icelandic artists.

We went there on our last day in Reykjavik and were wishing that we had more time to spend there. Maybe next time.

Visited November 2013