“excellent location, but bring your ear plugs!” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Laugavegur 22A, Reykjavik 101, Iceland (Miõborg)   |
Ranked #19 of 51 Hotels in Reykjavik
Certificate of Excellence 2014
huddersfield
“excellent location, but bring your ear plugs!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2009

I stayed in room 209 - a single room for 7 nights at the end of April/beginning of May. The room was small but nicely decorated and clean and was perfectly adequate for me. It was however close to the lift and there was an ice making machine (and shoe buffer!) directly outside my room which were quite noisy. The room also had French doors opening onto a communal balcony which I thought was great at first, but quickly realised that it meant I had to close the wooden shutters and switch the lights on in the room if I wanted any privacy and it also attracted the smokers who thought nothing of smoking directly outside my room. Room service was great, they kept my room clean everyday and provided me with fresh towels everyday. The only thing that was lacking was tea/coffee making facilities, which I'd have appreciated after a long day of sight seeing in the rain!

The hotel itself is very conveniently located on the main shopping street in Reykjavik and is one of the hotels where the tour companies pick up from. The central location does have its downsides though. Although my room was at the back of the hotel I was still kept awake at the weekend by the bass of the music in a nearby nightclub. I sorely regretted forgetting my earplugs!

Breakfast was a Continental style buffet, which was nothing special but adequate and you can eat as much as you want, so it does set you up for the day. There are dozens of cafes in the area if you want anything different, and a lovely baker a short walk up the street.

Overall I was happy with my stay, especially as I got a very good rate through an online booking agency and if (when) I return to Reykjavik, I'd consider staying there again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
  • Polish first
Cambridge, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2009

We stayed for 4 nights at the Fron in December. It was our first trip to Iceland and the hotel served as a great base for exploration. Positives: It is very well situated and the rooms are modern, clean, comfortable, and reasonably priced. And the heat works very well, which is absolutely necessary in December :) Negative: be sure to ask for a room away from the nightclub next door. The first room that we were given shared a wall with the club, and let me tell you, everything we had heard about Icelanders partying hard turned out to be true. We live in a city and are used to noise, but after traveling all day, our first night here was miserable. We tried earplugs to drown out the thumping bass and people yelling outside in the street, but at about 3 am we couldn't take anymore and asked to be moved to another room. The front desk staff was extremely accommodating and moved us to the older building in back away from the street. Since it was December and the hotel was less than half full, we wondered why they would put anyone in this room to begin with... but anyway... After a bad start, we enjoyed the rest of our trip a great deal and would return to the Fron again.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2009

PROS:
- Convenient and walkable to all major downtown attractions
- All you can eat basic breakfast - (yoghurt, cereal, bread, juice, milk, cheese cold cuts)
- Supermarkets nearby
- Coffee & restaurants nearby
- Tour operators can arrange to pick you up at the hotel

CONS:
- The water from the shower faucets smelled of sulfur (ie rotten eggs) - that's probably becuz the water
- Rooms are a bit small
- A bit noisey (walls are bit thin) - you can hear guests walking up & down the corridors and in the courtyard
-Smokey in lobby/courtyard

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2009

We got upgraded to a "Deluxe" appartment hotel room which is always a nice touch.
The location is fantastic and couldn't be more central, right on the main shopping street of Reykjavik. Everything was good in this hotel except for the poor closure we got, while leaving the person barely looked at us, a "thanks for staying" or a "welcome back anytime" would have been appreciated, after all this isn't a youth hostel ...

Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2009

Iceland truly is like nowhere else on earth, and even though its often viewed as most expensive, Hotel Fron is an absolute bargain! We had a gorgeous room at the back of the hotel (away from any noise!), much more spacious than expected. Brekkie was minimal but fit for purpose with a decent selection, and the reception staff were helpful at every turn. The internet is free from one pc in the main building 3rd floor, and reception area is really comfy (important as you wait for tours a lot here!)

Go for the geysir/gulfoss express tour with Iceland Excursions - avoid Reykjavik Excursions as they tend to be more impersonal and expensive!! The blue lagoon is also a must :) Best restaurant in town - Hressingarskalinn on the main street across from the 7 11!

My boyfriend and I stayed over the Easter weekend for 3 nights, and despite things (mainly shops) being shut most of the time we were there we had a fantastic trip and would highly recommend Hotel Fron.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2009

Me and my husband stayed at a studio apartment in Hotel Fron for 6 nights from Apr4-10. Before I went, I emailed the hotel couple times, Edmund, who is the best hotel manager I have ever met, everytime emailed me back within few hours to confirm all the request. Based on some reviews about noise problem, I requested the rear complex which turned out to be very quiet even on the weekend. I fully enjoyed both the free breakfast (Ham, Salami, Cheese, apples, bananas, yogurt, diff kinds of bread, diff kinds of juices, hot chocolates, tea, coffee, cereals, milk, jam, etc..)and free wireless internet service. Since it's located in the main shopping area, it's very convenient. Neighbourhood includes lots of shops, restaurants and some supermarkets (Bonus; 10-11 etc.). I cooked a few times in the apartment which saved us some money. There were tons of pamphlets on different tours, Edmund and his staff can book tours for you anytime, very convenient and you have an option to pay at the hotel or pay directly to the tour company when you aboard. Hotel lobby is very modern and contemporary. Overall, I highly recommend this hotel to everyone based on the good service and the good location.

Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2009

For the money, the hotel location is excellent. In addition, it is quite modern and clean. We stayed in a room facing the parking lot and it was pretty quiet, did not hear any noise from the main street, although we stayed from Monday through Thursday nights, and might not be a true indication of noise levels on the weekends.

Hotel provides basic breakfast and wireless internet which is very convenient. The only negative I have is that it doesn't even have an electric kettle or coffee maker in the room. The man at the front desk said that only their apartment units have coffee makers. Also we got one of those rooms that the shower floor and the rest of the bathroom floor is separated by a metal bar so the water is easily spilled outside the shower.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Fron? Share your experiences!