“Loud on the weekend” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
United States
“Loud on the weekend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

We stayed here four nights while in Iceland. We arrived about noon, and luckily there was a room ready for us. The room itself was nice enough and was a good size. It had two twin beds pushed together, and they were comfortable enough. The thing I disliked most was when we checked in, the clean sheets had other people's hairs on them. I detest that.
The room also had a small fridge/mini bar, a microwave oven and a sink. Also a small table with two chairs and a desk.
The room was mostly clean. The shower head in the bathroom had mildew on it. The water had a strong sulfur smell, which is common in Iceland, but it was very strong here. The bathroom and shower were small, but got the job done, and I didn't really have a problem with it. Be aware that they do not give you wash cloths here. They only provide towels.
The worst thing about the hotel is how close it is to several bars. Bars in Iceland don't close until 4:30 AM so you WILL hear loud thumping music ALL NIGHT. I had read about this in some other reviews, and thought it wouldn't really bother me, or that maybe some people were very sensitive to that sort of thing. I can usually sleep though all sorts of noise, and I love music, and yes even dance music. But this was very annoying. On my first night, the music woke me up about 2 am and I couldn't sleep again for a couple hours. It drove me crazy. I tried to turn on the television, to do anything to cover up that thump thump thump, but nothing worked. The hotel should perhaps invest in some white noise machines, although I'm not sure if they would work either. Luckily the next night I was so exhausted that I mostly slept through the music. It was only loud on Friday and Saturday nights, and the other nights were no problem for noise.
The staff were ok, not very friendly and not very unfriendly. When we checked out, the desk staff tried to tell me that we had a "drink and a snack" from the mini bar. I said that we did not, and they didn't try to charge us for it after that.
Breakfast was a bit odd to us as Americans. They had several different types of bread. There was a toaster at the other end of the counter for toasting the bread. There was also several kinds of deli meats and cheeses, a large bowl of sliced cucumbers, pre-sliced apples and bananas, so that they were already starting to turn brown. There was also some cold cereals, milk, and yogurt. The orange juice was obviously from concentrate which was re-hydrated with the bad sulfur water, so it had a bit of a funny taste to it.
The hotel is centrally located in Reykjavik, and all the tour companies pick up from here. So in that way it was very useful for doing tours. It is also located very close to restaurants, shops, bars obviously, and a couple grocery stores. The harbor and ocean front is a very easy walk away. We also found it close enough to walk to other attractions like the museum and the Hallgrímskirkja.
The television choice was very poor, with only about 4 channels available, one of those in Icelandic. But I certainly didn't go to Iceland to watch television, so it wasn't a big deal for me.
Overall, I found the hotel good enough. I don't recommend it on the weekend, unless you are deaf, but on a weekday I think it is fine.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

We booked a double room & pleasantly surprised to get a suite. Seperate bedroom with self contained kitchen & living room. Room's were cleaned every day, nice to have space to relax after a full day of sight seeing. Good value. Breakfast was average but there's always an alternative with local coffee shops. Front desk were always helpful even at 4.00 am when getting bus to airport, when coffee & breakfast was available.

• Stayed February 2014
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for 5 nights in January 2014. The hotel was modern and nicely presented. When we first checked in we were given a room which was two singles. This was not what we ordered. The hotel soon sorted this out for us and gave us a double room. Our room was quite high up and over looking the Main Street. Couldn't hear much from the street. The room was modern and clean with everything we needed.

The hotel staff were extremely helpful and very friendly. They helped us out on which trips to do for the time we were there.

Breakfast was standard. Cereal, bread, cheeses, fruit, tea, coffee. It did the trick.

We also ate in the hotel restaurant which was nice. One evening we needed something quick as were going on a trip to see nothern lights and they kindly boxed up our food so we could take it with us. There does not seem to be any takeaways open late near the hotel which was a problem when coming back from our evenings out watching the lights.

Great hotel was use it again if went back. Would also recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2014
Denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

I've walked past the Fron many times on previous visits to Reykjavik and always thought it would be a good place to stay. I finally stayed there last month and was not disappointed. My room was nice (209) and the bed was very comfortable, there is a minibar and safe and the closet space was adequate for a solo traveler, like me! The bathroom and shower set-up was very good and there was shelf space for lotions, etc. The breakfast was pretty basic when compared to the more expensive chain hotels, which tend to offer a large assortment of hot and cold dishes, but it was fine and the location of the Fron more than makes up for the breakfast selections. Aside from it's location, I can say the Fron has the nicest Reception Staff you would ever want to meet; August and the rest of the team were very kind and helpful and made me feel most welcome. Nothing beats "local knowledge" and they were very good at answering questions, even in the midst of the busy check-in/out times. I liked the Fron so much, I will be staying there on two upcoming visits!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Queensland, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

This is one shocking hotel, located on the Main Street of Reykjavik.

OK, so the pros - centrally located & off street parking if booked in advance. Sadly this is where it ends.

I was checked into room 407, top floor facing away from the Main Street (I thought I was onto a winner for noise). The room was quiet old, with a few added renovations. The bathroom was horrible, mould on the ceiling, dark & drab.

The main issue here is a night club (Kiki) located on the ground floor of the hotel building, on jumping into bed at 9pm, getting ready for a big day ahead it was perfectly quiet, still thinking I was onto a winner I fell asleep very quickly. I was awoken at 11.30pm to VERY loud banging & shacking from the bass of the nightclub, to an extent that the 2.5hours sleep had to this point was it for the night. The noise stopped at 4.55am, and then came the street cleaning, promptly going back & forth on the street to clean up the mess. I can only imagine for the floors below me where worse!

The breakfast here is TERRIBLE, with service just as bad. No selection, sour faced staff, and honestly they should start breakfast service at midnight (for when your awake)!

My recommendation, DO NOT STAY HERE. Poor quality rooms, terrible sleep quality & disinterested staff. All in all not worthy of its current spot on Tripadvisor!

Room Tip: If you've already booked a room, do what ever you can to cancel!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Broadbeach, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

This hotel,appears to be 4 buildings cobbled together .... Perhaps we had a room in an unrenovated section??

Room itself it was dated, old torn furniture, and a floating floor that has been poorly installed. Some renovations look like they have been attempted by unskilled owners with hodgepodge bits of poorly sawn timber plugging gaps between sinks, basins etc and not even sealed.

Mould on roof (and elsewhere) in dirty bathroom. There is such a strong soulful smell with the hot water you cannot shower with the bathroom door closed (we did not encounter this anywhere else in Iceland).

The worst thing is that this annex sits above a nightclub, with pounding base and thumping music which causes the poorly laid floor to vibrate like a drum skin and even the paintings on the wall buzzing all night. The club is open from 11pm to 4am (music didn't stop until 4:40am) ... We had half an hours sleep - a total nightmare!! There is absolutely no way anyone could sleep through this doof doof! There is no way staff do not know this is the case, and even some acknowledgement or warning on check-in might have made us (slightly) less angry!

Breakfast was awful (worst for our trip) and I wish we had in fact left at 5am instead of waiting for breakfast. Staff at breakfast were rude and disinterested (as were the rest of the staff).

Ridiculous prices for a shocking experience. The fact they are full at this time of year seems to generate a "we do not give a toss" attitude ..... (As demonstrated by their lack of interest in replying to customer feedback).

Looking for a positive .... Location is excellent.

Room Tip: Ensure you demand a newly renovated room away from the nightclub
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

The Hotel Fron is strictly three stars. The central location is excellent and if you are not looking for luxury, you would probably be happy staying here. We liked it.
We stayed here twice,a the beginning and then at the conclusion of our Iceland road trip. For our first stay, we were allocated an older style room. It was quite ok, no serious complaints, clean and comfortable, but a bit tired. The second time, we had a renovated room, which was much nicer. The room was not large, but an adequate size. The bathroom was well designed and functional. Everything was very clean and tidy.
There was no tea/coffee making in the room.
Wifi worked well.
Breakfast was good, with an ample array of cold dishes and good, strong coffee.
Staff were very pleasant and helpful.
Recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Fron? Share your experiences!