“Breakfast and dinner” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #103 of 321 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Late Night
Description: Le bistro is a French bistro and wine bar with a Scandinavian flair in the heart of Reykjavik. We are a small family run restaurant, recently established on Laugavegur Reykjavik's main street. Serving moderately-priced (for Iceland) classic and contemporary French food along with a great selection of wine. An ambiance of French authenticity prevails throughout as you step into this casual, lively and bohemic atmosphere. We serve slow food, with mostly local Icelandic ingredients, but with a French influence. Bienvenue et bon appetit...
“Breakfast and dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

We went to this restaurant with 2 other couples for breakfast on a Wednesday morning. We were the only people in there. My friend and I split the English or American breakfast (can't remember what it was called but it had a bread basket with croissants and baguette Panini, pineapple and pear, sausage and bacon, beans, eggs, and fruit juice). We paid 26USD and it was plenty for the 2 of us. Others in our group had ordered 2 breakfast menu items to share between 2 people and paid more then we did and didn't get as much food!
The restaurant has a great ambiance so my husband and I decided to come back for dinner later that week. I had the whale steak and my husband had ribs. I almost laughed when his came out on what looked like a cafeteria tray...no shortage of meat there! His also came with a salad (lettuce). My steak came with the same salad and some French fries. My steak was 3 small pieces and the first was a good piece of meat. The second was stringy and there was no way to cut it despite sawing like mad and the third was undercooked. I asked the waitress if my meat could be cooked more and she told me that the chef wanted to prepare me a whole new dish even though it was half eaten because of the fibrous/stringy nature of my steak. I must say the second dish was much better...I didn't know what to expect as I had never eaten whale before.
I was so sad to hear that they did not have crème brule which I had been craving for dessert!
We instead decided to go to the crepe shop that is about a block from this restaurant for dessert instead and were glad we did!
I would rate this restaurant as very good with fair prices for Iceland and with hearty portions.
We paid 85USD for dinner, having the whale steak, ribs, and 2 beers....oh yeah, they have the most delicious artichoke spread for the bread that they bring you with your meal and they will refill it if you want!

• 4 of 5 stars Food

“Great atmosphere, expensive and average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

The food was the major let down. It was busy, well staffed and quirkily decorated, everything we needed to draw us in. The service was good whilst we waited for a table. Unfortunately the food wasn't to my liking, possibly the first time I've ever not finished a burger. The chips on the other hand were a bit better, although still not good enough for the price we paid.

Lastly it was extremely cramped. There was no room to pull out my chair meaning I could hardly move when sat down.

It was ok. Although I wouldnt go back.

Belfast, United Kingdom
“So good we went...4 times”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

Stopped here for brunch on our first day in Reykjavik. Menu looked comprehensive and prices fair by Reykjavik prices. Lovely and cosy inside on what was a cold, snowy morning. Service was excellent. In addition to fresh orange juice, the 'brunch' consisted of 3 croissants, and several pieces of toasted baggette. The cooked food was delicious; a full English and plenty of it. Oh and coffee of choice also included in the price. We decided to try it that same evening for dinner and although it was busy we got a table and service was again very good. Two tasty mains of chicken and a classic burger followed by Cafe gourmand which was a coffee of choice accompanied by 3 mini desserts; creme brulee, chocolate mousse and tiramisu. Delicious! So on the following two evenings we simply returned to Le Bistro and sampled the coq au vin, charcuterie plate, salmon, and pork ribs. We tried the rose wine and red. French and perfectly palatable. They also have a decent selection of beers including several strengths of Belgian Chimay. This is a great little authentically styled 'French' restaurant with a relaxed atmosphere that entices you to stay long after the food is finished. When compared with friends and other places they'd eaten, we feel we had very decent food, and service at an affordable price. Thoroughly enjoyed it!

London, UK
“Lovely little breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

As a group of four, we enjoyed our first breakfast in Reykjavik at Le Bistro. We all found the ambiance very charming and European, with candles, wine bottles and handwritten signs everywhere. We all opted for just ham and cheese with bread, butter and jam as we weren't particularly hungry, and it was simple and delicious (their Icelandic brunch sounded AMAZING, and we planned to come back and order it on our last day, but we couldn't get a table unfortunately).

Anyway, nice coffee and food. The service was slow and we had to ask twice for the bill, but on a lazy Sunday morning such as this, I'd describe it as 'leisurely'. Would definitely go again.

Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
“Dont be fooled by how busy it looks”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

We stopped in here for an evening meal on our first night in reykjavic as it was packed with people, so we assumed that it would be good. We had to wait 10 mins for a table which was fine as we hadnt booked and the serving staff on the whole were ok. The problem is with the food, my wife due to food intolerance and allergies asked for the salmon to come with just chips instead of the mash and vegetables etc to avoid dairy, butter etc. Her food came and she enjoyed it! Great no problem there, it's just salmon and chips. I ordered the beef bourguignon which I expected to be good considering its a french bistro. it lacked all flavour, it was 4 medium cubes of fatty beef, 1 carrot, 1 small potatoe cut into wedges and boiled in gravey. Bland, bland and bland. Thats it. I was astounded. The serving staff did not ask if everything was ok with meal therefore I complained at the end. To make sure that they new this was a genuine compliant I stated that I would pay in full and did not want a reduction because I wanted them to take this seriously and understand how dissatisfied I was with quality of their food. I asked for the bill as I just wanted to get out of there and go find some food elsewhere. The serving girl got into a long discussion with the manager and when she brought the bill said that they would discount the fries and the coke. What! Seriously? They were going to charge me for fries after wife swapped it from the mash potatoes and veggies etc. I was appalled at this gesture. The worst meal and food experience of my life! Luckily we went on trip advisor and ate at restaurant s in the top ten for the rest of our trip which wete excellent and I have reviewed them also.

Visited April 2014
AlexRocha, Owner at Le Bistro, responded to this review, April 19, 2014
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant.

We value the opinions of our customers and we were really sorry to read your feedback.

I am truly shocked by your statements, nevertheless be assured that we have taken this serious problem to consideration and start an investigation.

As you stated, I’m extremely glad that you got a table on such busy evening within 10 min. I am also very glad to hear that your wife enjoyed her meal.

Regarding the bourguignon, as a proper French person, although the quality in the Icelandic meat varies, I find it quit acceptable.

Sorry you found the potato portion too small, and it’s a shame that you didn’t complain earlier as the staff is instructed to offer more free potatoes under demand.
I’m very surprised you got a carrot, since we don’t serve carrots in this dish. Maybe you ordered something else or maybe you are confusing this with another meal that you had on your holiday.

Perhaps your expectations were misguided, as we never claim to be anything but a casual French Bistro, as reflected in our prices.

I would love to have the opportunity to speak with you directly, so please contact me.

With best regards,