“Brilliant” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 47 hotels in Reykjavik
Esher
“Brilliant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Chose this hotel because it looked fab on the website and it did not disappoint in reality. The location is perfect in downtown Reykjavik, easy walking distance to many attractions, restaurants and shops. We were also lucky enough to enjoy live music as part of the Airwaves festival while we were here. Rooms of an excellent standard, clean, bright and modern. Aveda products in the shower too!! Breakfast was included in the price and served at a small cafe round the corner and we set our alarm so as not to miss it! All in all a perfect base for our first trip to Iceland and we hope to return!!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Inga_Audbjorg, Front Office Manager at Kvosin Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Hi Rachel,
Thank you for the review. I’m glad that you appreciated staying here during Airwaves, as it is a fantastic event not just for us, but the whole city! I also hope to see you again before too long.

84 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights at the beginning of November in room 303. Classed on the website as their 'Tiny' room we found it the perfect size for the two of us. At the front of the hotel it has two large windows looking out onto a small balcony and the church opposite. Design and furnishings were great- very modern but still homely, bed was super comfortable- probably the best hotel bed ever! Staff were friendly and helpful and the breakfast in the cafe around the corner was delicious. Some previous reviews have said the breakfast was repetitive but we were offered pretty much anything we liked, from the standard 'breakfast plate' to croissants to porridge and all were excellent. Brilliant location too in the centre of Reykjavik, within walking distance from everywhere.
My only slight niggle (and it is very slight) was that as a tea drinker I would have preferred a standard kettle rather than the fancy Nespresso machine as it wasn't possible to get the water quite hot enough for tea through this. Also there was no milk provided although I'm sure if we'd asked it would have been.

Room Tip: The 'Tiny' room 303 is very cute and good value!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the feedback after your stay. Although “Tiny” is tiny by comparison to the other rooms in our hotel it’s still 17 m2. And yes, I very much agree about the beds. They are super comfy, right? I’m thankful about your comments on the tea-water issue. You see, running a hotel takes immense energy, so we all tend to be more on the coffee side of life. Anyway, I’ll look into it, and take appropriate action, not to disappoint our future tea aficionados.

Greetings,
Copenhagen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

We had two seperate reservations at Kvosin hotel late October 2013. We arrived late in the evening and on arrival we immedietely felt welcome and almost at home. The hotel is new and fresh and has a nice little boutique in the reception are. The evening receptionist (Italian man I think) went out of his way with his great service, helpfulness and positive attitude.

Our first night we had a large family apartment. The interior is stylish and clean. All aminities in the hotel are well thought out and beautifully presented. The beds and duvets are great and comfy! The apartment had a kitchenette, 2 bedrooms, living room and a nice tv area with a sofa. There were 2 balconies on both sides with great views.

The second room we had (2 days later) was a large room also with a kitchenette and a sitting area and same good amenities. The door to the room was facing the back side of the hotel and had to be accessed via the back side balcony which the nice young lady in the reception explained to us at check in (could otherwise be a bit confusing to find).

I have been in many Reykjavik hotels but this gem is definitely one of the best hotels in the city and we will absolutely stay there again .. and again.

Over all the hotel and service is great and has great attention to detail. The only negative thing that I can think of as far as our stay at the Kvosin hotel is that we had to go back home.

Hi there!
Thank you for taking the time to write this detailed review. We enjoyed having you stay with us and look forward welcoming you again and again in the future. We agree, Edoardo, the Italian, is fantastic!

Kvosin Team
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Hotel Kvosin has a perfect location in the middel of Reykjavik (you can walk everywhere), delicious breakfast, friendly and helpful staff, good beds and duvets, clean and comfortable room #305 and a very good shower! You only use codes to get in; no keys. Highly recommend it!!!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the great headline and taking the time to write the review. Unfortunately nothing is perfect but that is what we strive to be every day.

Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Very relaxed stay here. I disagree with the service comments - it is very casual, but I found the people I talked with very helpful. We showed up early on a Sunday morning and they were all full. They got us breakfast (no charge) at the restaurant and let us hang out until our room was ready. But, it's definitely not a place to go if you want concierge type support from the front desk. We had a bright studio room that faced the street. There is a nice kitchen island and equipment to cook or eat in the room if you choose to. Loved the Nespresso coffee maker.

Things to know: the church bells across the street ring every 15 minutes; bring earplugs or request a rear facing room if you are a light sleeper. There is not a lot of storage in the room and the shower and toilet are separate.

Room Tip: Front rooms on 2nd and 3rd floors are bright and have nice views.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. You are right; we pride ourselves of having a down-to-earth but energetic approach to our service, and strive to be personal, helpful and casual. Good that you mention the church, -it is a good tip for those light-sleepers out there to bring earplugs. In fact, from here on in I’ll just make some in the reception for those affected. I understand that the bells might bother some of our guests, but others find it soothing (or even a helpful tool to sync to the new time zone). I hope to see you again soon!

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

The Kvosin is a wonderful hotel and I would definitely stay there again. The staff are the best I have ever dealt with, very accommodating and a pleasure to talk to.

The room was very clean and modern, the only concern we had was our room was right above the door used for the attached restaurant and entrance and it was quite noisy so I would stay in a different room next time.

Room Tip: Suggest not staying in room 205.
Hi there John,
Thank you for taking the time to write us a feedback. I’m happy you like our staff, I also like them a lot, -they’re a talented bunch of diverse people! Concerning the restaurant, it has now relocated and we're working day and night into changing the space into more rooms to fit in all the wonderful people that'd like to stay with us.

Greetings,
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We chose this hotel based on other Tripadvisor reviews for our September stay and were very satisfied with the accuracy of the positive reviews. Hotel manager,Birgir, was a delight providing us with timely feedback, great restaurant recommendations, and a surprise upgrade for our special occasion upon return from the east side of the island. Young front desk staff eager to please and always helpful with any task, big or small. Fantastic breakfast served downstairs daily could benefit from some variety but beats the Hilton Reykjavik hands down. And, free wireless in room a nice change for the price of Iceland hotels. Rooms very Scan design and super comfty...best hotel bed ever! Vinbarrin is a wonderful little wine bar which shares the front lobby. It's owner, Gunni Pali, treated us to delicious apps while we sipped delicious Italian reds. As for location, this a town made for walking and Kvosin is perfectly central. I found that our tour guides found us easily once we pronounced the hotel name correctly...one stumbling block for most Icelandic words is that they don't roll off the American tongue easily. Fortunately, the beauty of this city is how helpful and accommodating the Icelanders are across the board. Kvosin set the tone for a wonderful stay and when we return we will stay here again!

Room Tip: Inner corridor has quieter rooms, best views on upper floors facing north! Stay in The room that tra...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi!
You’re right, these Icelandic words can be a bit of a tongue twister. However, if you’re an assiduous learner you could probably even learn to pronounce classic cacophonous tourist-busters such as Eyjafjallafjökull! It’s great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Gunni Palli at the Winebar is one of our hidden gems and his knowledge about wine is impeccable. As previously stated, we’ve improved our breakfast variety so you have something to look forward to for your next stay!

See you again!
The Kvosin Team

Been to Kvosin Downtown Hotel? Share your experiences!