“Simply Amazing” 5 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Skogarhlid 10, Reykjavik 105, Iceland   |
Zurich, Switzerland
“Simply Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

We stayed at Bus Hostel for a week during the Iceland Airwaves Festival. And it was so much fun! The people working there are very nice and always there to help you out with booking tourist things and all that stuff. The rooms are cosy and clean, so is the lobby. If I ever stay in Reykjavik again it will definitly be in Bus Hostel :)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Kristinolafs, Manager at Bus Hostel Reykjavik, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Thank you, thank you! We loved Airwaves and all the life around it. Thank you for staying with us and we see you again hopefully! Best from the Bus

55 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Bratislava, Slovakia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

You would have to see it. Blocked sink full of stinky water and dirty dishes. Mess on the shelf for guests' food. There are cute signs warning guests that a puffin might die when when dishes aren't washed. Well that doesn't really work. They will ALL DIE then! You got to put up strong rules and enforce them. Put a fake CCTV cam there and a sign that threatens the guests that their credit cards will be charged when they don't wash AND DRY their dishes. Don't let them keep their food in the kitchen outside of the fridge. Mess will happen and more mess will follow. Clean the kitchen every other day. Find out what broken window principle is.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Now you mention it - we haven't seen a puffin in quite some time!! :)
Thank you for taking the time to review us. We are terribly, awfully, deeply sorry that you feel this badly about our beloved kitchen. But million thanks for the tips, they are most appreciated. We do however clean the kitchen twice per shift so you must have been staying when we had super, duper messy guests. All the best from the Bus!
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We booked our double room for 5 nights on their website, (55€, basically less expensive than a room on airbnb in Reykjavik). Because of their october offers, the Bus hostel gave us a complementary one day car rental (their partner SADcars, a car rental company, shares the same office). Isn't it a great deal? :-) (BTW, you can get your car at Keflavik and leave it at the Bus hostel with no extra fee!)

Our room was bright. The bedding was a bit soft for us, but quiet comfortable. We were able to adjust the heater. There were 5 power outlets (this is pretty convenient when you have several devices to recharge). The room was enough clean (but unswept under the bed).

In the morning, you have free toasts (bread, marmelade, peanut butter, chocolate spread) in the shared kitchen (in which you have everything you need to cook but it's a little messy!)

There is a nice big lounge room with a bar, and in the evening, it's very cozy when they light up the candles.

The staff was friendly and helpful too. They gave us good tips for dining in town.
They also have free rental bikes (but we didn't need it)

The location is convenient if you rent a car because it's easy to park (and it's free).

Overall, we recommend this place. We will certainly come back for our next stay in Reykjavik!

Room Tip: the room 17 is convenient, it's just in front of one of the 4 shared bathrooms of the 1st floor.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for taking the time to review us and for your thorough and descriptive review. So much appreciated. Hope to see you again! Hugs from the Bus.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

I spent 10 days in Iceland, and 3 of those nights were at the bus hostel. Though I arrived very late on a Sunday, the receptionist at the front desk was helpful and polite. I stayed an additional night and made many new friends, including some of the staff.

After travelling around the country, there was only one place in mind to spend my last night before my flight back to the US - the bus hostel.

The place has a very new feel to it, as the rooms are very clean. But the main lounge has a comfortable, worn in feel to it that I appreciated and could tell the other patrons did too. The bus hostel is high on my list of recommendations for places to stay while traveling in Iceland.

-Chris

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you Chris. We loved having you as well and your friends miss you!
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I had the best HOSTEL experience staying at the Bus Hostel, what a great atmosphere! Excellent staff, they were all very helpful and friendly. All the facilities were so very clean. High standard bathrooms with very good space and a pleasant and very well equipped kitchen. Rooms are very nice, comfortable bedding, good size, great luminosity, nice decoration. But a special mention has to go to the communal room since it doesn't feel like an ordinary one, it's actually a magical place where everyone interacts and makes friends easily, so much that no one wants to leave there, only if it is to go out to experience the amazing Reykjavík nightlife. One of the best hostels I've ever stayed and I travel a lot!
The Bus Hostel was an important point of my trip, It was such a pleasure to be a guest. Internet connection is awEsome too. I not only recommend it as I will definitely stay there next time I visit Iceland.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
You had me at magical! Thank you for your kind words and for staying with us. Bless from all of us at the Bus.
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

This is my first time to stay at a hostel and I love it! It's decoration is very hip and eclectic! The reception people were very proactive, helpful and friendly especially the tall guy with a hat.

There are plenty of bathrooms and all of them are spotless! I wonder how they can keep it that clean all the time. Lol

There's also a very strong and stable WiFi signal as well, what more I can ask for! It's a perfect stay for travelers who would love to meet new and interesting people!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Kristinolafs, Manager at Bus Hostel Reykjavik, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Thank you. We loved having you. It is people like you who make the Bus!
DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We spent a week at the Bus Hostel and overall, the facility was very nice. Very clean and quiet, and beds were pretty comfortable. Just a couple minor complaints, only one plug in our room (private room), and the heat was very unpredictable. Otherwise, lots of perks, free wifi, free bike rental, nice kitchen, and pretty convenient location. The main issue we had during our stay was with the staff. Normally, when we go on a trip we book all our tours and plan out the whole trip to avoid the stress of last minute planning. Per the Bus Hostel staff, we were told not to do this, and that they would help us book anything we needed, this was hardly the case. The first day I went to the front desk to ask about whale watching, and was told to check the brochures on the wall. Really? You didn't think I thought of that? I am asking you because you told me you could assist! Then, when I wanted to book one, the person at the desk seemed taken aback that I wanted them to assist to call and make a reservation. The next day I got a flat tire, and went to the desk again for assistance. Now, this is a little bit of an odd one, so I gave them a pass for not knowing. They said they would check on it and let me know the next day. So, the next day I go back, and after asking 2 more people, finally get an intersection where there is a mechanic, no name or contact information. Even just walking by the desk the staff did not seem friendly or really ask if we needed assistance. Needless to say, I booked all other tours and researched places to go via the free wifi in my room. Now I know this is a hostel, so I was not expecting much, but a little service seems more than reasonable. If I go back to Iceland, I would not mind staying in this hostel again, I just will make sure to book/bring everything I need beforehand.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Chris. I am so truly, honestly sorry to read this. Our staff have been and are our pride and joy. We have received by far the most praise in regards to customer orientation and extra, super, duper friendly and helpful staff! But I can guarantee you that we do appreciate your review and that you stayed with us. We enjoyed having you.

Been to Bus Hostel Reykjavik? Share your experiences!