“best hostel!” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Laugavegur 105, Reykjavik 105, Iceland   |
Stuttgart, Germany
“best hostel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

first we weren't sure if we came to the right place... it looked so nice and fancy =) the staff was really nice, the room were enormously big (we stayed at a 14 bed dorm and even had a sofa in the room =) ), linen was included in the price and it was very afforable. also the kitchen was well equipped and both kitchen and bathrooms were cleaned well every morning! I totally recommend this hostel!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

79 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

The hotel lobby is currently undergoing some remodelling work and it currently looks half finished. It's a laid back hotel for the under 35-40's so it didn't really bother us, we didn't see anyone older than us the time we spent there, if anything we were a little confused because we saw a lot of backpackers kicking around!
We worked out later on in our stay that the hotel has apartments, rooms and hostel rooms, we stayed in a room and booked it a month ahead. We chose it for the pictures of the rooms and price and we weren't disappointed!
We were VERY pleased with the room upon seeing it. Everything was brand new and beautifully decorated, mostly in a minimalist style. The bed was a double bed , huge, soft, comfortable and with extra pillows. I usually go for a harder mattress but for some reason the soft bed didn't bother me on this trip, in fact I had great nights sleep night after night!
The minibar was kitted out to perfection, chocolate, crisps, nuts, Icelandic treats and beers, soft drinks and pretzels.
The bathroom was really lovely! Walk-in shower, tiled in lovely new and expensive looking slate tiles. Two showers head, and overhead larger one and a smaller one on the side in case you don't want to get your hair wet. Hair drier was supplied and so was soap, shampoo, conditioner and a small box with complimentary goodies like a shower cap, earbuds etc. they also provide luxurious bathrobes and slippers, we felt so pampered!
The room had underfloor heating and even though the main window was very large giving you great views, it doesn't open, only the smaller one next to it does and even then, only a fraction, meaning the room got pretty warm at times. Never quite uncomfortably, however I do prefer a colder room to sleep in, I didn't mind it so much but my partner did. There's no thermostat so the only way to quickly cool the room down is by opening the door which is not the best option but it did work and we didn't need to have it open for long. We stayed mid August so this might not even be an issue come winter time however.
The 2seater sofa at the end of the room along with the writing desk and chair were very comfortable and got used for hanging out more than the downstairs lobby.
The tv was flat screen, new and mounted on the wall, slightly off centre to the bed which was strange since there was plenty of space on the wall for it to be centred. It had UK channels only but missing Chanel 4.
Breakfast and coffee were served on one side of the lobby in the morning but due to refurbishment there were no tables to eat at. This wasn't an issue since we usually prefer local cafes.
The desk people were very helpful and were happy to book and arrange whatever we needed.
Free wifi was great and a huge plus specially since most people staying in the hotel were travelling and could use it to check maps before heading out.
The hotel has a supermarket right in front, the hlemmur bus station, a taxi rank and several cafes nearby making it a perfectly located hotel in my opinion.
We did a few tours and every one of them picked us up from our doorstep.
When I come back to Reykjavik I will make sure I come back to this hotel, I was very much impressed specially considering the price and location. We also stayed at 2 other hotels during our stay and neither were as competitively priced, as well located, as new and beautifully fitted as hlemmur square hotel!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here during its soft launch. The downstairs was still pretty sparse wirh the check in just being a table with some computers on it. The staff were friendly, and besides some miscommunication about a car rentel I was very happy with my stay. I suggested this place to a friend in Toronto for his visit and he came home with great reviews as well. I would definitely stay here again. Note: I stayed in a 12 person dorm.

• Stayed August 2013
ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Stayed four nights in a private hostel room and one night in the hotel. Nice place, clean and very uncluttered, staff were lovely and helpful and a nice atmosphere.

It was a little bit off the beaten track but only about 15 mins walk from the main town square, less than 10 mins from nice restaurants.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Have never been to Reykjavik before, so when I knew that an Atlanta airlines flew them seasonally and the flights were going to end in a few weeks, decided to hop on over there to see what it was like this past weekend. A search of hotels found them to be ridiculously expensive, yet I knew that I wanted to be in the center of town. Finally, found a space at the previously full Hlemmur Square hostel, for Friday to Monday morning. It is only my second time trying a hostel, the one I tried in Singapore was horrible. However, this place was about $50 a night to share a 6-bed mixed unit.

From the airport I took an Iceland Excursions shuttle bus for about 4000 kr, which equates to about $33 roundtrip. It brought me right to the hostel, which is just in front of Hlemmur bus station, a significant hub.

Location- It is on Laugavegur, which is a main thoroughfare through the downtown area. You can walk from it to several attractions and there are multiple small restaurant on or near Laugavegur.

Building- From the outside it looks like an old fashion office building. You realize when you get inside, that the old facilities were gutted and replaced with more modern infrastructure.

Inside- The lobby is just basic and bare. There are a few chairs in the lobby for chilling out and connecting to the internet (which is free). Plus there is a lounge area with more comfortable seating. The host that work at the desk are not very knowledgeable about giving directions. However, they were very helpful when suggesting tourist places to go. They also would arrange tours (which I took on the third day).

Room- Well it is pretty much simple, as depicted in the photograph also shown on tripadvisor. The rooms are clean, the beds seem to be well kept, the floors are concrete and not carpeted. Under each bunk bed, there is a tray for your clothes and even a roller bag. suitcase will fit in it. Just make sure to bring your own lock to secure it in place. Oh yes, bring your own towels or you will have to purchase one from downstairs.

Bathroom- The bathroom itself is co-ed, so it is kind of interesting walking in there, because you never know what you may encounter. There are separate, lockable stalls for heeding mother natures calls.

Kitchen- There is a common kitchen that you can use to cook your own food, to save money. Bonus is the name of the grocery store and it is on Laugavegur as well, just a few blocks up.

Shower- They are separated by gender, with about 8 stall in each shower room. I never really noticed messy conditions and you can tell they are cleaned thoroughly.

Eating- There are many little restaurants downtown, all within walking distance. My favorite cheap ones were Kua Thai, Tommie's Burgers and EDL pizza and Fish.

A good deal, if you don't mind sharing a room with strangers. My three nights stay at this hostel was less than one night at a hotel.

Only complaint- The door snap shut with a loud thud and no rubber bumper. So it can be hard to sleep, when you hear all of the doors slamming shut.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Iceland is generally quite expensive so this place is a great value for a bed. Very clean and location is a 5 minute walk from downtown. Only complaint would be the reception is often very crowded because it also acts as a travel agent. Had to wait a long time to check in and there are always people hovering around reception waiting to book tours or check in and out.

• Stayed July 2013
Inverness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Have done extensive travel around the world and this is by far the best hostel i have stayed in. Clean, tidy with the best beds. Free linen. Staff were really helpful and gave great ideas on places to see and do.
Thank you.

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Hlemmur Square? Share your experiences!