“Go here if you're in the harbour area!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #95 of 321 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: Seafood, Scandinavian, Contemporary, International
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
“Go here if you're in the harbour area!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

We went here for a very very late lunch after a whale watching tour. We didn't intend to have dinner yet, as it was only 5pm. Now I very much regret this! This was easily the best restaurant we've been to in Iceland. Great food and fantastic service. The waiter even helped the couple that was seated next to us to call their tour operator to discuss their northern lights tour of that evening.

Snorri V, General Manager at MAR Restaurant, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Dear Louloves2travel.

Thank you for the nice review. The best in Iceland is a good start and of course a warm welcome to our guests is not just pouring the wine correctly, it´s about anticipating their needs. We are aware how badly most visitors want to see the Northern Lights so we know that giving them any help to make that happen will reflect well on us. I am working on training all my staff to take care of guest needs that typical waiters never think of.

I look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Point Pleasant, New Jersey
“Great food, great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

Food was amazing. We had the steak and lamb and both were very very good. Risotto and lobster appetizer was freaking delicious !! The wait staff was super friendly and gave us good travel ideas and places to see. Highly recommend. Would definitely go back.

Snorri V, General Manager at MAR Restaurant, responded to this review, March 9, 2014
Dear kmrbojangles.

What a treat to see both the food and the service were outstanding. I am glad to see it and thank you for making us one of your first contributions on Tripadvisor. We highly appreciate our guests voicing their opinions and enabling us to improve where we can.
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
“MAR , an authentic Icelandic dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

Boy oh boy, it's been a few days and I'm still thinking about our dinner at MAR. The freshest of ingredients in a beautiful atmosphere with terrific service makes for a memorable experience. We opted for the tasting menu and were not disappointed. Lobster soup that would make Elaine Benes swoon. (Sorry for the Seinfeld reference.) Scallops, mushroom risotto, cod...drooling now just thinking about it. And chocolate cake. We were almost too full to finish it. Notice I said almost. If you want a true Icelandic experience that will make your taste buds do a happy dance, eat here. This will be one of my favorite memories of Iceland. Thanks MAR and Chef Snorri!

Visited March 2014
Snorri V, General Manager at MAR Restaurant, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
Dear Susan S.

Thank you for the glowing review. It was a pleasure to have you with us and we will do our darndest to make all guests as happy as you were. FYI, I know I look like a chef but I´m actually just the manager :)

Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

Went here with my mother recently. We opted for the taster menu. The food was good, but for a 7 course taster menu, the portions were way too big for us.
Really enjoyed the lamb and the first course which was a kind of potato croquet type thing!

Visited February 2014
Snorri V, General Manager at MAR Restaurant, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear heleddC.

Thank you for the review. I am aware of the issue with the portions and am working on a practical solution to bringing them down so that some of our guests don´t simply roll out of the restaurant after finishing.

Thank you for the pointer and I look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Manchester
“A lovely end to our trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

For our last night we decided we wanted to eat by the harbour as we figured the fish was bound to be amazing. We were not disappointed. We opted for the tasting menu to experience as many different dishes as possible. We found there was a good selection of wines that were reasonably priced in comparison to the other restaurants we visited during our stay. The waitresses were polite and attentive.

The meal began with a bread basket with butter that were both divine. Salted cod balls were the first course to arrive and they just melted in your mouth. The scallops that followed were the best I've ever eaten. The lobster course was my husbands joint favourite with the cod dish that was cooked to perfection. The salmon dish shouldn't go without a mention but the lamb was just amazing!!

Our only disappointment and slight criticism was with desert which was chocolate cake, fruit and ice cream. We felt that this was far too heavy after such delicate delicious dishes and the portion size was just huge, a third of the size would have been a better size portion but a lighter dish of maybe a mousse would be better suited.

Other than the dessert a lovely meal, a very pleasant environment and attentive staff. I would highly recommend a visit here!

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dear lad4495.

Thank you for the lovely words of our food and service. I agree with you on the dessert and we´ll take better care in the future to have it better match what has gone ahead during the meal.

I am glad you enjoyed the rest and thank you for honoring us with your last meal in Iceland. I hope to see you again in Reykjavík and at MAR.