“Good but not a wow” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Good but not a wow”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I had a dinner at this restaurant. Overall, the restaurant is good but nothing special. The restaurant seems like only for locals. I think it's because the price. The food was average considering the price tag (but I guess that's normal in expensive places like Iceland). The people were really nice and friendly but it took a while to get the food, even for simple ceviche. The other starter, bacalao, was good but the main course was a bit dry. So it's kinda hit and miss depend on what you ordered.

I don't want to give a really bad review. The restaurant is still quite new in business so I'm sure they are trying to improve. Only time will tell.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
EldingReykjavik, Manager at MAR Restaurant, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear LeoCPH,

Thank you for choosing MAR restaurant and taking the time to share your sincere feedback on TripAdvisor.

We are sorry to hear that we were not able to exceed your expectations but rest assured that we immediately shared your feedback with our management team.

Massachusetts
“Only place open for lunch on a Saturday!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

We were in a hurry before heading to the airport, and Mar was close to our hotel. We had fish soup, which they customized for me because I am allergic to scallops. It was yummy. We had some kind of sandwiches, and water. The bill was $77.00 US dollars. To me, that seems expensive especially if there isn't beer or wine involved!

The food was good, but not sure if it was good enough for the price!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dear IslandAdventure,

DarienJim
“Our best meal in Iceland...which they could make a Martini!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

This was our first and best prepared dinner of our recent trip. It was recommended by friends of our friend on trip that our locals and it did not disappoint.

We had a long table of 14 right down the middle of the restaurant. We got there very early at 7 on a Friday night (it appeared most of Reykjavik) was still at happy hour which was fine as most of us did not sleep well on the red eye flight and we were all slightly jet lagged. We stayed well past 10PM!

Now for those that follow me, you know I love a good, strong and well chilled Martini. But here was the only misstep of the night. What came out was a hi ball class with three olives and what appeared to be a dusting of vodka in the class. (We later learned that all of Iceland pours liqueur very sparingly and they must have given me a small 1/2 oz of vodka which they considered one serving--totally ridiculous and the reason I knocked one star off rating.)

Bread came out and it tasted like it was baked locally and was delicious. Someone got the bright idea to have the tasting menu for all 14 and it turned out to be an awesome affair.

We started off with chèveche which was good. Not the best I have had but still a solid start. That was followed up with the best cod dish we had in our entire stay and the best fish dish too! (I thought cod was for fish sticks!)

Next up was monk fish wrapped in bacon or some type of ham. I thought this was even better but most liked the cod. We then had local rib eye cooked perfectly medium rare with sweet potatoes fries. We finished up with a smorgasbord of different and excellent deserts.

Although we only ate here once, it was excellent and could compete anything in NYC or London!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
EldingReykjavik, Manager at MAR Restaurant, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear DarienJim,

Thank you for sharing your positive feedback with us.

We are very happy to hear that you appreciated your dining experience at MAR restaurant. We take great pride in serving the tasting menu as it is such a fantastic way to experience the variety of our courses. We are sorry to hear about your experience with the martini but rest assured we immediately shared your feedback with our management team

Diss, United Kingdom
“One of the best restaurants in my 10 day trip.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

Some of the best food I've had on my 10 day Icelandic trip. Locally sourced incredients with a Mediterranean and Sothern twist. The waitress was genuinely friendly and interested in my visit. Overlooking the harbour with easily parking makes this a must go to eatery if your heading to Iceland. The coconut and lime infused shellfish soup and the lobster Piafina were memorable!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dear Celticbluestone,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your dining experience at MAR restaurant. They are really appreciated. It’s always a pleasure to achieve our guest’s satisfaction and we are pleased to read that we met your expectations.

Reykjavik
“Nice resort and beautiful food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Located by the harbour site in Reykjavik with a good quality food and nice wine´s also the service is quick and good

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dear SiggiEinars,

Thank you for choosing MAR restaurant and for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor.

Kind regards