“Glacier Hiking & Ice Climbing” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #32 of 257 Activities in Reykjavik
More attraction details
Owner description: Iceland Horizon is a small, family run tour operation with no intention of becoming a large bus company. Daily scheduled tours for individuals are in small groups, keeping the experience more personal, friendly and fun for both travellers and guides. We also arrange tours for groups wanting a private or individual arrangement.
Washington, DC
3 attraction reviews
“Glacier Hiking & Ice Climbing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

This was my favorite experience out of our entire five days in Iceland. We were picked up promptly at our hotel in the morning and drove the 2.5 hours to southern Iceland, to our glacier. We were in a six person van and the tour guide was super friendly and gave us a bit of information and history of Iceland along the way. He also happily answered any questions that we had.

This company seemed to have perfected everything on this trip. We had between 20-25 people and three guides, so about one guide per 8 people. They were super efficient about sizing us for crampons and handing out the rest of our gear. After a brief safety discussion, we were off for our hike.

The guides were VERY experienced and immediately ready to correct someone if they saw that they were doing something unsafe. They were also very patient and gave us pointers when needed, answered any questions and allowed us time to stop at take photos at some of the most picturesque spots.

When it was time for ice climbing, we got another set of instructions, as well as a demonstration. The three guides put up three lines for climbing, with one guide to belay each line. It then took about an hour for everyone to get a turn at climbing. Again, the guides were very patient and helpful with everyone. It was such an amazing experience, both the hike on the glacier and the ice climbing were out of this world...I felt like I was in an Arctic wonderland.

After our ice climb, we then hiked back down to the glacier, we washed off our climbing tools in a glacial pond and then sat down on some lava rocks to take off our crampons and climbing harnesses. The guides then quickly collected our gear and handed out or lunches.

We each got a really delicious sandwich, a pastry and a juice box. After a few hours of hiking and climbing, it really hit the spot. On the way home, we stopped at the Seljalandsfoss waterfall, which was really beautiful.

Again, I can't say enough great things about this company and when I go back (oh, and I will be back), I plan to schedule all of my tours with them.

Visited November 2013

Scotland
“Snaefellsnes Peninsula Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from Iceland and took the Snaefellsnes Peninsula tour with Gerda. There were only 4 of us on the tour that day and the weather was a bit wild as there was a storm coming in later that day. I have to say that we had the best day ever. Gerda was absolutely lovely and so passionate and knowledgeable about her country and it's history and geology. The scenery was absolutely stunning and Gerda went out of her way to make sure that we all got what we wanted from the day. I would highly recommend this tour.

Visited November 2013
Liverpool, UK
“An excellent day out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Thank you so much to David from Iceland Horizons for a brilliant day. On top of being very knowledgeable about the sights we went to see, David told us lots of interesting things about life in Iceland and Icelanders themselves which was great. David planned the day really well and had a knack of getting us to places before the crowds. We made an unscheduled stop to say hello to some beautiful and very obliging Icelandic horses. After my experience with larger tour operators in Reykjavik I wouldn't consider going on a tour with one of the bigger companies again, it was great being on the smaller bus and with a smaller group of people.

Visited October 2013
Puerto Rico
4 attraction reviews
“Could've been much more...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We booked the Snaefellsnes Peninsula Tour after our Golden Circle tour with David, and were really excited about it (it was our last day in Iceland!). We were bummed out because that day the weather was foul (it snowed earlier), the skies were grey and it was very windy.

Nonetheless, we went on! Our driver was not David (don't remember his name), and much to our surprise he barely spoke during our 8 hour tour. I found myself thinking many times: "Wow this is boring!" and wishing I had done something else.

At one point in our tour, the weather was so scary some of the passengers (myself included) wanted to turn back, and I must say it was really amazing to feel that our tour guide was willing to do whatever we felt like doing. He even said: "If you don't feel safe, I'll turn back."

He seemed pretty comfortable driving under those weather conditions, and promised he would bring us back safely (which he did!). He took great decisions like not driving up a mountain (there was a snow blizzard up there!) and took us to see incredible places instead.

He was extremely polite and nice, yet barely noticeable. Sometimes I thought he might be really quiet because he was concentrating on the road, but even when the sun came out and the skies cleared, he was still practically mute!

He never rushed us (which was amazing), but to be completely honest, this tour left us feeling like we payed too much.

Visited October 2013
Boston
“"Great experience, Thank you David"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Our family of three had a great time at the South Shore tour with David, our guide. His young json, Gabriel joined us and made the adventure all the more fun. David was very knowledgeable, very nice and with our small group and his vehicle, we were able to travel to areas you would never be able to drive into with a large bus. We didn't have a structured schedule and able to enjoy the beautiful sights. This is a two day tour with an overnight stay at a hotel and I would definitely recommend Iceland Horizons.

Visited August 2013