“A delicious taste of the midnight sun” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #55 of 257 Activities in Reykjavik
Type: Classes
More attraction details
Owner description: At Salt Eldhus, we invite you to join us for some delicious fun and a chance to cook with local ingredients under the supervision of skilled instructors. We offer daily cook and dine workshops at 11.00. Icelandic fish and lamb will take center stage as you learn to cook Scandinavian style. We limit our class size, making the environment intimate and inviting. At the end of class you will be rewarded with the delicious meal you have prepared accompanied by a glass of wine.
Brussels, Belgium
“A delicious taste of the midnight sun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Being a TOTAL foodie I was really excited when I found this place when planning my trip to Iceland, a trip I had been dreaming about for quite some time.

I was not disappointed with the experience. Everything was superb, the food they had us prepare was exciting and excellent, the produce was so fresh that you could almost taste the midnight sun. Ok, that might be exaggerate a bit but I was just so taken back with the quality and the knowhow of the instructors that everything seemed to have that touch of the nordic lightness.

When I travel I always sample what is considered local and traditional food – I must admit I was skeptical after some horror stories passed down from friends who were talking about all kind of strange foods they had been offered while travelling to Iceland. I did not know exactly what I had in stall but SALT eldhus delivered everything they had promised, and then some.

You are greeted by the very lovely Mrs. Auður (a word I later found out means ‘wealth’ which couldn’t have been more appropriate because she really was a wealth of knowledge on anything food related) and then as the evening unfolds you get more and more insight into local traditions and ways of preparing your own dish, topped off with a VERY well deserved glass of wine.

If you love food, you will love what Salt eldhus has to offer…if not I’ll eat my hat (after getting tips from Mrs. Auður how to prepare it in a delicious way, I’m sure she knows how)

Visited July 2012

New York City, New York
“An Incredible Experience & Unique REykjavik Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

The culinary school Salt Eldhus is a must visit place for food lovers vacationing in Reykavik. Centrally located, the space itself is absolutely gorgeous with attention paid to every single detail from the color scheme to the beautifully arranged farmhouse table where we gathered to enjoy an extraordinary dinner during class. I learned so much from Audur, the owner and the evening's instructor, and was so impressed by her depth of knowledge, lovely demeanor and patience. It really is a remarkable place made all the more so by the wonderful meal we enjoyed together. I've attended many cooking classes in the US and this one exceeds almost every single one of those experiences. If you're a food lover, this is a can't miss experience in Reykjavik!

Visited February 2013
Reykjavik, Iceland
“A wonderful experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Yesterday I went to a macaroon class in Salt Eldhús and the experience was wonderful. The atmosphere, the teacher, the food, and the kitchen itself was inviting and friendly. I had a wonderful time with my friend and would recommend visiting Salt Eldhús to everyone.

Visited February 2013
Reykjavik
“food & fun evening courses”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Recently opened Salt eldhús (which means "kitchen" in icelandic) it's doors to people who can't cook or people who love to cook but want to learn something more from the awesome chefs in the kitchen. It's a new concept in centrum of Reykjavík city.

The Owner Auður Ögn Arnadottir offers fun cooking courses in a cozy kitchen where the teachers are chefs from the restaurants in Reykjavik.

Auður Ögn excels in presenting food and she is a marvelous teacher. I attended the macaroni lesson it was hands-on course, fun and educating
we were even offered homemade soup served with newly baked bread.
I loved it and now I am eager to attend another course at Salt eldhus think I want to try the icelandic course or the indian?.. see you there in the summer...

Visited December 2012
Reykjavik, Iceland
“a very enjoyable experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I loved this cooking class! The atmosphere is so inviting and fun, the tools are top notch and the teacher was excellent. We all cooked with help from the teacher who answered all our questions and was very helpful. After cooking we all sat down and enjoyed the food with wine specially selected to go with the food. Very enjoyable experience, whether alone or in a group, I learned a lot and will definitely go again!

Visited January 2013