“Excellent!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Reykjavik Hostel Village

Save Saved
You added Reykjavik Hostel Village to your Saves list
Reykjavik Hostel Village
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Flokagata 1, Reykjavik 105, Iceland (Formerly Hotel Floki Guesthouse)   |
Dublin, Ireland
“Excellent!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Come here with a friend and stayed in a twin room. The room was good, with a fridge and 3 beds - more than enough! The hostel location is fine, just 5 min walking to the Church. Staff was very friendly and we had the best hostel breaskfast ever! I already miss those Chocolate croissants! I would recommend to a friend, for sure!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

193 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Reykjavik, Iceland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

contrary to the previous review by Sagar J, I think the hostel is totally worth it. Staff are extremely friendly and helpful, the breakfast is awesome and I can´t believe it is free, it is the best free hostel breakfast I´ve ever had! The hostel is kept nice and clean, beds are super comfortable, and the location is fine, it´s only a five minute walk to the main street in Reykjavik. The only thing missing is a common area of some sorts so that you can meet other travellers and have a place to sit in the evenings so you don´t disturb other people in the room, but if you are looking for just a comfortable place to sleep that will not break the budget then it is perfect.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Bjarney Lea G, General Manager at Reykjavik Hostel Village, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear Shell B.

Thank you for your awesome review!
We really work hard to keep our guests happy and our focus points are Guest Relations, Cleanliness and our Breakfast Buffet. Therefore, you nailed it :)

Hope to see you again!

Warm regards,
Lea
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

Wost Hostel I've stayed in. I was told I could check in at 2:00pm, after being told that I could check in at 7:30am. I wandered for a while, then came back for 2:00, being told my room wasn't ready. Waited for another 1.5 hrs. The food is terrible, here. The facilities are extremely dirty, and the service was very very disappointing. We had to check out after the first night and were charged the full amount. It says, that it's convenient in it's location... That's if you luck out and get their first house (of 8), but if you don't, then you are very far away. I STRONGLY recommend you do not book here. Book at KEX hostel, or anything else on Hosteling International.

Room Tip: Don't book here.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sagar J,

Thank you for your review.
When you book our lowest possible rate, it is a Non-Refundable Rate, meaning that we charge you when you book and it is impossible to modify or cancel the booking. When you go through the booking process on our website or other booking sites this is very well explained in the cancelation policies.
Therefore, unfortunatelly, we could not refund you one of your pre-booked nights.

Warm regards,
Lea
toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Came here with 2 friends and stayed for 4 nights (August 11th-15th), however it was still Hotel Floki then so I'm not sure how much of my review will be relevant now. We chose it because of the good price, included breakfast and free wifi. Our room was in another building than where the reception desk is. We had a triple room which was a decent size (bigger than the room we had in Copenhagen), it came with a kettle and a mini fridge which was useful. There is also a communal kitchen, I used the oven once to heat up some left overs and there was dishes you can use.

En suite washrooms would have been nice but for the most part they were ok. Oddly it was often occupied when we needed it, we stayed in a much bigger hotel in Copenhagen and almost never had issues with accessing the washrooms. It might have just been the people on our floor as usually the one on the floor below was free. Also there was a note that said to mop up water from the shower but there was no mop to be found and my friend's last pair of pants got wet falling in a puddle.

The included breakfast was ok, cereal, bread, jam, cold cuts and cheese, sliced hardboiled eggs, pastries (if you were lucky to get one, people hog them and we only got one on our last day) and orange slices (our Copenhagen hotel's breakfast had no fruit so that was nice).

Location was not quite as close to things as we thought but still walkable. We did have a rental vehicle but opted to walk to places like Laugavegur because some of the streets are small and confusing and we always had free parking spaces at the hotel.

One last gripe is about our check-out. You have to check-out at 11 but when we got there, there was no one at the front desk and we were met with a line. Once she arrived she paid no attention to who was next in line and people butt in front of us, then she looked at us funny when we told some guy off after he had just gotten there yet went ahead of us. Also there was a sign on our building's door to keep it closed so homeless people don't wander in, yet on our last day the door was wide open when we walked back to get our vehicle. I actually had a cat follow me down the street and when I got in the car he walked into the hotel lol.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights early October 2013. Got dropped off and after initial confusion that Hotel Floki had recently changed its name to Hostel Village we waited in the breakfast area until our room was ready at 2pm. The hostel is basic and our room was in a separate building the next building up. This wasn't a problem to be honest and don't know why others have moaned about that. We found the room to be clean and basic, the shared bathroom was ok too, again nothing special but wasn't bad. There was a fridge, kettle and sink in our room. As others have mentioned there was no TV but we could get free Wi-Fi from the hostel. Breakfast was nice and you could eat as much as liked. I would say that if you're on a budget and need a basic, friendly place to stay then you'll be fine. Reception closed at 3.30pm but the staff seemed to be available by the door bell and they also helped us by booking the tours and advising on weather conditions etc. It's worth noting that the location was in close proximity to the town which was a bonus. Thanks :)

Room Tip: maybe stay at the back of the building
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Surrey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

I stayed here for a couple of nights at the beginning of October as it was the cheapest room available (at the time of booking, just £8 a night). While the location could have been closer to downtown, it was not too bad, being just five minutes from Hlemmur bus station and a 20-30 minute walk to pretty much anywhere else. Personally I enjoyed these walks, as I love Reykjavik and Iceland in general, so for me it was not a problem.

I stayed in room no. 15 which was maybe not the best in the house, being located in a small annex in the same building as the breakfast room. It was a mixed dorm, which was fine for me as it kept the cost down, and I had a good sleeping bag which I bought with me. This was necessary as akin to most other Icelandic hostels, the only linen provided was a top sheet and a pillow. I must admit that I was a bit reticent to begin with about sharing with both men and women, but found it was not a problem, as one can always get dressed in the bathroom, and as always I found this type of accommodation an excellent way to meet people from all different countries. I had some great philosophical conversations in particular with a German man who was staying there.

Being located right by the breakfast room was a little noisy in the mornings, but it was not too bad, as I am used to getting up early for work. The lack of light in the room was for me the thing - there were no windows and so you had to leave the main light on all the time. Even the reading lights seemed to be connected to the main light, as once this was switched off, they refused to work, apart from that is the bed right by the door - one of the reasons why I chose this one.

The bathroom was fine - a nice hot shower with all the other facilities you would expect and I had no complaints about the staff who all did a great job and spoke very good English. While I would prefer to have stayed nearer town, I can't complain for the price I paid. All in all I found this a reasonable place to stay and if the price was right would probably stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Been to Reykjavik Hostel Village? Share your experiences!