“Take Your Earplugs” 3 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Condominium   |   Laugarvegur 18, Reykjavik 101, Iceland   |
Scotland
“Take Your Earplugs”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The accommodation is good if over-priced and very central. Reasonably clean. Wasn't serviced every day. Beds are comfortable. Receptionists are friendly. Great to be able to cook since restaurants are a bit expensive. We did indeed have a view from our balcony over part of the city towards a twin-steepled church. The weather was beautiful with constant daylight and a lot of direct sunlight. The main problem was NOISE at night from adjacent pubs and clubs - UCH! Spoilt the whole capital experience. Ask for a quiet room! We did having been tipped off but I hate to think what the other rooms/passengers have to endure.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room and say that you have heard that it is very noisy at night/early morning.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Chester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Room with a view is in a fantastic part of Reykjavik (although it is a small place so outside the very centre isn't too much of a walk). There are lovely shops on Laugarvegur as well as restaurants and bars. However our apartment was too hot and although billed as for five people, the small second bedroom would be good for kids, not adults, and the door didn't close without moving the bed! Sadly there isn't helpful cooking stuffs that usual apartments have, so if you want basics like oil and pepper, bring them or buy them. Only tea, coffee and sugar is provided.

We had an absence of a plug for the sink and a leak in the jacuzzi bath, and it felt like a hotel with a kitchen, rather than an apartment, which i wouldn't bill as luxury. We didn't use the hot tub as it was very overlooked by the other apartments, and not particularly nice surroundings. A canopy would really help provide some privacy and comfortable surroundings. No real view that we saw also.

We did however have fantastic service from the man on the desk who really got us out of car hire trouble. Car4rent let us down (not recommended) and he organised us a 4wd older car with cheapjeep at half the price in 10 minutes! Other staff were less friendly, but we think that this is more the icelandic way!

Overall, not worth the hefty price tag from the website itself, but not too bad from a cheaper site. Would not recommend on the basis of the hot tub and would think that more cared for apartments are available.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I stayed in a studio apartment unit last week for 4 nights. It was a really pleasant stay. I emailed the staff Jessica a few times before my arrival and see if she could book me some day tours for glacier hike or ice climbing plus car rental. She gave me suggestion and booked the trip with same-day reply. I arrived in the morning and I checked in early for a little extra charge which it's totally reasonable. The room is very spacious, tidy, modern designed and furnished. It's definitely for than what I expected. The location itself is gold. It's located right in the middle of the main shopping street. It's super convenient to either go east to the church or west to the harbourfront and opera house. It's an apartment so don't expect restaurant or facilities. A great breakfast cafe is right across the street I go there every morning. I've already decided to go back in the summer and Jessica has already offered to help me to reserve a room. Overall stay in this apartment is an excellent travel experience. Thank you.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I love the apartment and its interior design. - The big windows overlooking the Laugavegur street! - Love it.

It is suitable and value for money for those who are traveling in group. 4-6 pax. per unit would be just fine. The apartment is clean and the kitchen is fully equipped. They also provide wi-fi.
The apartment is located on one of the busiest road in Reykjavik. So it gets a little bit noisy until the wee hours over the weekend, not recommended for families traveling with kids.

Shopping and finding place to eat is easy since the apartment is located at the main street of Reykjavik. It is close the habour and its weekend market (very interesting finds).

The only complaint I would like to make is that we had to wait for our room to be ready for check-in. After waiting at the lobby, we were given a different unit, luckily the unit given did not disappoint us at all. The tap water has a sulphur like odor, not sure whether it is normal there.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Stockport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Lovely apartment we booked for our Iceland trip right in the centre of Reykjavik. The whole setup felt very much like a relaxed hostel. The apartment was huge with 4 double bedrooms. Massive lounge. We even had the rooftop hot tub right outside the window. It can be noisy at the weekends in the bedrooms by the main road but you'll sleep through it. Location is brilliant, all the tours know where it is. Staff very friendly. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Beverly, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

The room was good, clean, great location. There were two drawbacks keeping this apartment hotel from being rated higher. One - The bathroom was european style (room 405). I was ok with that since it was private to our room, not shared. However the shower was not separate, it was one small room with a toilet, sink and shower head. With no hooks mind you, so you had nowhere to hang your towel and robe. And of course, the whole room got soaked since it's all together. Then, there is no vent fan, so that humidity and moisture stays in there for hours. Two - The noise. Room 405 faces the side street and directly across the room is Vegamot, which is a hugely popular club. I am talking line down the street popular and loud thumping music until 5 AM popular. I know this because I was up all night listening to it. I read the other reviews beforehand and thought, no way it's that bad. They must be overreacting, or trying to go to bed really early. Nope, Not at all. I got up to go to the bathroom (remember, it's across the hall) and in the bathroom, with the door closed, i could still clearly hear the music. So, I am doubtful that rooms across the hall would be better. The club is open Friday and Saturday until 5AM.

Other than that, the location is perfect. You are truly in the heart of it all. The kitchen is handy. We did not have an oven, so I would make sure you know whether your room has an oven or not. But regardless, the cooktop and fridge was super helpful with quick breakfasts and dinner to keep costs down, Eating out is VERY expensive and adds up quickly. Moreso than in the states. Grabbing two burgers and fries with a couple drinks cost us more than $35 one lunch. And yes, that was counter order, not sit down.

Room Tip: Try to see if a room not facing the side street (Vegamotastigur) is available if you are staying on...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed in room 601 for 6 nights over New Years Eve. This apartment is beautiful. The bed is very big and comfortable with nice sheets. There are very large windows that cover two of the walls entirely, along with a huge balcony. The kitchen is nice (no oven if you are really looking to cook but luckily we were not) with stainless steel applicances and a granite counter top. They also had a huge kitchen table to seat 6. The view is beautiful. You can see the ocean on one side and the town on the other. My guess is that 601 is one of the nicest apartments here. They also had a jacuzzi right on our balcony. Unfortunately, I recieved an email from the hotel staff a week before saying that it was damaged. I was upset but they offered us a free ride from the airport (with a stop at the blue lagoon!) and access to the local jacuzzi's in town, I was happy that they atleast did something to make up for that. The hotel staff was for the large majority, very friendly and helpful. The cleaning staff on New Years Eve even gave us a free bottle of champaigne! One thing that I see a lot of reviews complaining about is the noise level. Let me be clear, you are directly on the best street in Reykjavik so if you want a a very quiet vacation, you may want to go somewhere else because yes, you can hear the late night crowds. But if you want to be apart of the late night crowds then I can't think of a better place. I absolutely loved our apartment but I do want to say that I thought it was still a bit expensive. Other than that, it was perfect :)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Room With a View Apartments? Share your experiences!