“Perfect all rounder!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 103 Reykjavik B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect all rounder!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

Luna was an awesome location, right in the heart of the city, walking distance to everywhere! Kelli greeted us upon arrival and was very helpful and offered to drive us to the apartment. He showed us a map and left his number in case of emergency. Please note that the address given is not where you stay, it's about a couple minutes drive away and if you book a tour make sure you give the right address for pick up!

The rooms were spacious the apartment was the top floor with a balcony of the city view, really very beautiful! The shower was lovely and hot and all the facilities were in perfect working order. Beware that Luna did not have lifts so you will have to carry suitcases up and down!

There is a supermarket and bakery nearby for your everyday needs and food, but complimentary tea and coffee was included. This really is the ideal place stay, very safe and comfortable!

Nearby places, try Loki cafe, Pisa, the laundrette cafe, the wooden building restaurant on the Main Street the oldest cafe in Iceland to.... So many places to go.

On Sunday there is a flea market walking distance about 15 mins, it's all bric n brac if you are into all that... There is a mall too about 10 bus ride away, the bus stop is right outside the tourist office.

Great place would defo go back!!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
edmonton, ab
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

My husband and I received friendly and helpful service as soon as we arrived at the hotel office. We rented a great apartment very close to the main street. It was better than we had anticipated. The apartment was smartly decorated and felt like home. The bed was comfortable and we had the best shower of anywhere we'd gone in Europe.

This apartment really did feel like home. We were sad to leave!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I stayed at the apartments for my 30th birthday weekend. I wasn't involved in booking it as my partner handled the arrangements. But we had been 'upgraded' to an apartment suitable for 8 people. So we had loads of space, and could use a second bedroom for dressing etc.

The man who greeted us who had sent my partner a helpful email about how to get to the apartments, walked us from reception to the apartment. He was friendly and as he lived locally had lots of helpful information. I was quite keen to go outdoor swimming and had read mixed reviews about The Blue Lagoon (do go when out of season - it wasn't too busy when we went in the late afternoon and the water was lovely), so I wanted advice on where to go for a more traditional experience. He recommended we went to a local outdoor pool and gave us directions on a map. On my actual birthday we wasted quite a lot of time finding it, and it was just a community, very run down pool, so we didn't go in. We went to the Blue Lagoon instead. Apparently there is a new pool including sea water pools and outdoor hot tubs, east to the city centre. So I don't know why he recommnded the old/run down one. But no harm was intended - just a misunderstanding.

My only real complaint - that stopped me from giving 5 stars - is that there are no curtains or blinds in the top/'penthouse' apartment, meaning that when I was undressed/in a towel I felt very exposed and had to dress in the bathroom, which was a shame in such a big apartment.

It was lovely though, with a comfortable bed (although it was two singles pushed together, with two single duvets - but that didn't really matter.

It's a couple of easily attended to things away from being perfect!

Room Tip: Take a dressing gown if you have room in your case in case curtains or blinds aren't provided.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I just love this hotel! I've been to this hotel twice when traveling to Reykjavik, Iceland from Boston, MA and i would recommend it to anyone visiting this fabulous city! it's located right in the center of town, it's quiet and clean. Extremely reasonably priced. Airport shuttle will drop you off/pick you up right at the door. Plus there is the most unbelievable bakery within a 30 second walk out the from door called Bernhoftsbakari. Delicious coffee and pastries and bread! 5 stars all around!
Donna G

Room Tip: all of the rooms are great but the views from the penthouse are some of the most incredible views I...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We recently spent 4 nights in this apartment block after reading great reviews on Trip Advisor. We had the airport shuttle drop us off at the apartment even though the check in office address was different, as we were early and it was raining heavily. Of course there was no way we could enter the building as there was no reception, and no shelter from the rain. At the said check in time I walked with a small map to find the address while my husband waited trying to protect the luggage from the elements. Everything worked well after that, but there needs to be a better arrangement, especially as most visitors do not have a car and it rains a lot in Iceland. The apartment was spacious and well equipped. It is also in a handy location with a supermarket just round the corner. We had one gripe, we were told the apartment would be serviced every 2 days, and asked to consider recycling etc , but this never happened, so no fresh towels or rubbish collection over the 4 days. Not good when you are self catering. Still a good choice though.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Great stay in September. Great location. Very comfortable fully equipped apartment in Reykjavik. No microwave, made it difficult for a takeout. A few days here is perfect to get oriented a see some great local sites. Very friendly staff! Great way to start your Iceland journey. We highly recommend it.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

In September, 2013 I took a three week vacation visiting Amsterdam, Berlin, southern Norway and Iceland. I’ve written a number of hotel, restaurant and sightseeing reviews for Trip Advisor. I’ve saved my review for the Luna Hotel Apartments as the last—and the best.

I was impressed by all the great reviews for the Luna on Trip Advisor so I made a booking. Unfortunately I only had three days in Iceland, but the Luna sounded like a great choice. After a long shuttle bus trip (why did they have to put the Keflavik airport so far away???) I got to the Luna check in on Baldursgata. Note that you check in at the Luna’s main office and then they walk you to your apartment in another nearby location.

After check in, Dagur walked us over to the apartment to make sure we got settled in okay. It was one of those vacation moments of trepidation when you open your hotel room door not really knowing what to expect. All I can say is that my reaction was “Whoa—what a great place!” We were in the penthouse apartment of their Spitalastigur location. I couldn’t believe my eyes. After more than ten days in tiny, shoe box hotel rooms in Norway I was blown away by Luna apartment.

I can’t say enough. The apartment was large, bright, clean and really well appointed. Great kitchen with everything you could possibly need. Really nice, comfortable living room where you can sprawl out on the comfortable couch and listen to music or watch the large flat screen TV. Or just look out the window and watch people come and go in a typical Reykjavik neighbourhood.

The bedroom was great with a comfortable bed and loads of pillows. There was a second bedroom which would be great for two small kids. And a nice, bright bathroom. The apartment was absolutely wonderful—a real home away from home.

A few people have mentioned the noise from the street at night, but they must have been in a different location. I loved the neighbourhood around Spitalastigur. Completely quiet at night. It’s very much a family neighbourhood. During the day you’ll see kids on their way to school, people walking dogs or going to work, friendly cats wandering around. I hate going to a new country and getting stuck in tourist areas. The area around my Luna apartment was a proper, lovely Reykjavik neighbourhood. Good restaurants close by as well (see my Reykjavik restaurant reviews).

All in all, I was 100% happy with my stay at the Luna in Reykjavik. In fact, I can easily say it’s one of my very best hotel experiences in all of my many years of traveling. My only regret is that I was only in Iceland for three days. If you go to Iceland, then I absolutely, unreservedly recommend the Luna Hotel Apartments. But I’d also say: learn from my mistake and stay longer! The apartment was so warm and homey that I really wish that I’d stayed in Reykjavik at least a week or more. Well, next time! Thanks so much to everyone at the Luna Hotel Apartments for a great stay in a beautiful country. Þakka þér!

Room Tip: Definitely consider the penthouse apartment on Spitalastigur. But then I looked over the photos and...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Luna Hotel Apartments? Share your experiences!