“One of the best steaks I've had in my life” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grillmarkadurinn (The Grill Market)

Grillmarkadurinn (The Grill Market)
Laekjargata 2A, Reykjavik 101, Iceland
+354 571 7777
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 323 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Scandinavian, Grill
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“One of the best steaks I've had in my life”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I recently went on a weeks holiday to Iceland and was recommended this restaurant by a work colleague.

I didn't have a booking, when walked in, but luckily there was space at the bar, which was not the most comfortable, but the theatre of being in front of the open kitchen and seeing all of the chefs creating their dishes more than made of for it.

I had 2 starters, a monkshish, and lamb starter...Both superbly cooked, and tender. For main I had controversially a horse steak, as it's something I have not eaten before.., and I was recommended it by our friendly waitress....

I have to say, I was not disappointed, it was even more tender, tasty, and melted in your mouth, compared to beef...

All in all, I'd say the service was excellent, as was the food, the decor, as well as the atmosphere. Would highly recommend, if you're looking for a restaurant in Reykjavic. Just be forewarned that if you want a table book early!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Korean first
  • Polish first
Glen Head, New York
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Beautiful restaurant with very well prepared fresh meals. I tried the horse tenderloin, which was perfectly cooked, tender and delicious. Hard to describe the difference between cow and horse, but there is definitely a difference though one you might not notice if you did not know you were eating horse. Came with wonderful wild mushrooms on the side as well as a salad interesting in that it has some sort of sweet flakes on it in place of a dressing. I had the lamb skewers as an appetizers and these were wonderful also. My wife had the sliders and the lamp t-bone, both of which were good, and others in our group enjoyed the duck. The lamb came with a terrific bernaise sauce, which worked great with my horse as well.

Personally, I'd ask to sit downstairs, which was the more interesting room, or, if I were a couple, perhaps at the counter in front of the open kitchen. Make sure to visit downstairs for a look in any event. This was one of our more expensive meals, but was worth it.

Burnham, Bucks
“Found by chance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We found the entrance to this restaurant by chance on a busy Friday evening, when we couldn't find any available tables at other restaurants on the main streets. We were so impressed by look of the restaurant and it was completely buzzing inside. We had food from the gourmet menu (taster) selection, and were really impressed with the presentation and quality of the food. I think the only thing that let down the ambiance, was the smoke churning from the indoor grill. On occasion it did irritate my eyes, thankfully someone saw sense to open some of the windows, despite the freezing temperatures outside. For the food alone, it's definitely a worth a visit!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
scotland
“Allround Excellence|”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Booked here after reading reviews on Tripadvisor for Valentines day and extremely glad we did.
Food was amongst the best we've eaten, the better half had monkfish starter and I choose minke whale follwed by the horse steak whilst the wife had fillet steak. All absolutely gorgeous and cooked as requested and to perfection. We don't really do desserts but this leaves us room for the three superb cocktails the wife had and for me to enjoy my usual bottle of red and after dinner tipple.
Most would say Reykjavik expensive myself included but this standard of food and service would not come cheap anywhere, we paid around £120-£130 but this is much cheaper than most excursions in Iceland so if you look at going to this restaurant as such, an experience and not just going out for a meal I believe you may enjoy it more, granted a different experience than say a Golden circle tour but we couldn't split them.
A special mention for our waitor Ottur for his outstanding service, never intrusive but allways there when needed with a great knowledge of the food and drinks menu and also of Reykjavik/Iceland in general. All the staff we met were extremely polite and friendly, we were made to feel very special indeed. One of our many highlights of our stay in Reykjavik.
Highly recommended.
Ps If you prefer a little privacy without being out of the way, ask for a booth.

• Visited February 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“An unexpected treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

My girlfriend and I came here after having a stroll around in search of a place to eat. We had had a busy day of tourism on the Golden Circle tour (highly recommend) and had built up somewhat of an appetite and so some hearty food was needed and it was exactly what we got.
We walked in around 8pm on a Sunday night and were greeted in a friendly manner and seated right in front of the open kitchen where we watched the chefs cook - a lovely experience for myself, a chef on holiday. The kitchen was calm and organised and so it didn't emit too much noise which can sometimes be expected from open kitchens. In fact it added to the atmosphere of the restaurant and one chef was nice enough to ask if we were enjoying our meal, a nice touch.
The food was fantastic, we both had the rib-eye which was tender and perfectly cooked on both counts - hers mid-rare, mine rare. Included with the steak which cost about 5000 krona (£25ish) were a side salad, a portion of fries, a mixed veg and a mushroom sauce which was divine; sticky, flavoursome and a wonderful addition to enhance the steak. All the produce having been sourced locally, we both found it to be one of the best steaks we have ever had and this is coming from a chef who works in an Argentine grill house!
Whilst hugely filling, we did manage room for desert and were glad we did. She had the creme brûlée with various bits and pieces which was fantastic, perfectly cooked, not overly sweet and full of flavour. I had the Grillhouse Chocolate which was truly one of the greatest puddings put in front of me. Marketed as chocolate with coffee ice cream and warm caramel it somewhat exceeded expectations. It came out as a ball of chocolate on top of a mascarpone sabayon with no ice cream in sight and the hot caramel on the side. What came next was absolutely brilliant, a true spectacle and you have to find out for yourself what it was like. Suffice it to say it left me with a massive (presumably idiotic-looking) grin on my face.
If you are in Reykjavic and are looking for somewhere special to eat, come here! It may not be the cheapest of places but I believe it is fantastic value for money and not a million miles away from Michelin level - certainly rosette level.