“Convenient, clean, comfy, and very reasonably priced” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Odinsve
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Odinstorg Thorsgata 1, Reykjavik 101, Iceland   |
Ranked #23 of 51 Hotels in Reykjavik
Vancouver, Canada
“Convenient, clean, comfy, and very reasonably priced”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

I was in Reykjavik in March and I was able to book this hotel at a very reasonable rate. It was much less than the major American hotel chain in town and was located centrally in town. I'd definitely stay here again. I gave it a very good rating for the value, cleanliness, proximity to downtown, and friendliness of staff. I wouldn't label this as a luxury hotel, but it is definitely very comfortable and modern for its price point. I prefer to stay at Starwood hotels (Westins, W, etc) and this hotel met my standards.

I would've given them an excellent if the restroom was a little larger. The size was fine for me, it may be a bit cramped for a larger person. But my feedback is based on the amount of counter space :) It was ok since the desk was close by so I was able to use that as my vanity table. This is nothing out of the ordinary for European or Nordic hotels. I have come to expect less counter space in these countries.

The hotel staff, locals, and tour guides have all said that the water is fresh water and safe to drink right out of the tap. There's no need to buy bottled water for the hotel. I'm from California, so it's difficult for me to trust that. But just an FYI.

I didn't get a chance to eat at SNAPS downstairs, but I remember it being packed every night I was there.

Overall, I'd definitely recommend and stay there again. It's a block away from the main drag downtown.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Island of Malta, Malta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

The hotel is in a very central part of Reykjavik, within easy walking distance from the main tourist sites. There are also quite a few good restaurants close by including the Sjavargrillid Seafood Grill. They also have their own restaurant which is, apparently, very good. I didn't manage to try it as I was only there for 2 nights and it was always full. My room was very small but had everything needed for my short stay. I only used the room for sleeping so the size of the room didn't really matter anyway. The hotel was clean and all the staff very friendly and helpful. Although prices were not cheap (that's Iceland) they were reasonable when compared to other downtown hotels I had considered. A lot of day tour operators can pick you up directly from the hotel. I would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Anchorage, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I ended up spending the night at the Odinsve after my GPS misdirected me back to Reykjavik when I was supposed to go another direction. I had just stayed at a guesthouse for 3 nights a block away, and had eaten at the excellent and popular Snaps bistro restaurant at the hotel every night. I had seen the room an acquaintance of mine was staying in and was favorably impressed. Because of the last minute booking, I supposedly got the only room available. It was on the first floor, close to the entrance, and thus I could hear street noise from the room. The room was small but adequately furnished with a single bed, desk, chair for reading, and an ample and well appointed and supplied bathroom. The location of the Odinsve is, I think, largely what you are paying for. I would stay here again but ask for a corner room, even a double, on a higher floor. The small room was rather pricey but I was glad to pay under the circumstances.

Room Tip: If you have a choice of rooms, be sure to ask for one away from the entry and on a high floor (there...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Kristiansund, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

Located right smack in the middle of downtown Reykjavik, a couple of hundred meters from the main shopping street. The staff were very service-minded, and most seemed genuinely friendly, which is rare. The restaurant next door was also pretty good, although constantly packed, but I guess you can't hold that against them. You'll find a lot of other very good restaurants within a few hundred meters of the hotel in any case. The rooms were fairly average, but more than adequate for my needs. Bathrooms could have been freshened up a bit, and were very much on the small side. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

This was our second stay at the Odinsve. The first time we were lucky enough to be upgraded to a top floor suite, and that is VERY nice. No such luck this time, but we liked our quiet sunny room at the back of the hotel with the white comforters and comfy twin beds - it was quite spacious and had tea and coffee making equipment. The staff were great, and we were able to check in upon arrival early in the morning, which was much appreciated after an overnight flight. Warning to larger people - check that you will fit in the shower, which is very small! Maybe upgrade to that suite I mentioned if that is the case. Food in Iceland is expensive, you might as well pay the extra cost for the breakfast, which is ample and will set you up for your day.

Room Tip: Make sure you fit in the shower! And get the breakfast, it's ample and will save you money in th...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Atlanta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

More on par with a typical hostel in town. Don't let the facade of their website fool you, this place is just an overrated hostel complete with a staff who plays the snoody bit too hard. I am writing this review as a listen to dishes being done in the commercial kitchen below... at midnight. I slept better in the 1.5 person tent my wife and I shared on the Laugavegurinn Trail the past 4 nights.
Iceland is awesome! We have been here 2.5 weeks on our honeymoon. Avoid Reykavik. There is much to be seen on this island and much better places to stay. Example: Hotel Selfoss was a third the cost room/night and double the value. Hotel Rangia, Hotel Ion, and the hotel at Skatafell where all amazing all-around.

• Stayed June 2014
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

Hotel Odinsve is on a small street in central Reykjavik, within easy walking distance to the old harbor, restaurants, shopping, and the BSI bus terminal. Our room was clean and comfortable. Like most American tourists in Europe, we found the bathroom and shower disconcertingly small, but that's not unique to this place. Our room faced the courtyard; the hotel was mostly quiet, though occasionally we could hear people talking through the open windows of the other rooms. The staff very very friendly and quite helpful with booking our tours and giving us directions.

We didn't try the hotel restaurant, but had two very good breakfasts and some good coffee at the cafe across the street, called "C is for Cookie".

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Odinsve? Share your experiences!