“Good location, great staff!” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Odinsve
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Odinstorg Thorsgata 1, Reykjavik 101, Iceland   |
Ranked #27 of 48 Hotels in Reykjavik
Lethbridge, Canada
“Good location, great staff!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

I emailed the staff on numerous occasions and appreciated the advice and swift replies. Like most hotels in Iceland and Europe, rooms are small by American standards. C'est la vie!

I stayed here because the hotel was part of a tour package. I also added a day at the beginning and end of the tour, mainly for convenience, not for price.

I stayed in a room above the restaurant/bar and on the weekend it was extremely noisy. My room was hot and I wanted to leave a window open but in the summer, people party hardy on the weekends. The other nights I stayed here were not on a weekend. I asked for a quieter room but got the same one. It was a bit quieter in the restaurant below but I still closed the window at night due to the noise factor.

The breakfast was not included when I was on my own, but it was as part of the tour package and it was very good. For cheaper food options there is a nice little grocery store (towards the church), an excellent bakery in the opposite direction, and the restaurant "C is for Cookie" is right across the street. It is also excellent!

Oh, and look for a blind! The first night I stayed there I was surprised and disappointed with the flimsy curtains. Then someone pointed out to me that there were blinds. They aren't obvious nor easily pulled down but they are there and really help when it's light our 24/7! Pack eye blinds and ear plugs for summer nights in Iceland.

Room Tip: Don't sleep above the restaurant/bar.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Vienna, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We were booked into these accommodations by our tour guide and were not disappointed. Upon arrival on a red eye flight, we checked in to one of their family apartments. We then enjoyed breakfast and fell asleep peacefully. The apartments are less than a 5 minute walk to the main hotel. It was small and the bedrooms a bit cramped – but the beds were comfortable and the apartment was inviting. Breakfast was wonderful at the hotel. They had a wide assortment of breads & jams, traditional European cold breakfast (hard boiled eggs, cold cuts, spreads and raw vegetables). The big surprise for my kids was the waffles! The apartments are on a pedestrian only street and right across from it was an excellent coffee shop. Plus – there was an amazing crepes & gelato place on that block as well. We checked out and spent five nights in the country before returning to Reykjavik. Upon returning, we had two hotel rooms to accommodate our family for one night. There are a wide range of room types at the hotel and there seems to be a newer wing of the hotel. We were in the older wing, but the rooms were comfortable and spacious. As with all European bathrooms – those were tiny. Overall we had a very enjoyable three night stay here. It is close to everything, within walking distance of just about all the city’s attractions and for the most part – it was quiet at night. Icelanders like to enjoy their weekend evenings out, so we were concerned about noise. This hotel was in more of a residential area of the city, so it provided the comfort (and quiet) we were looking for.

Room Tip: There are many options for accomodations so speak with them at length about the room you will be boo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Mountain View, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

My visit this June to Iceland was made at very short notice and both my preferred hotels in central Reykjavík were fully booked. I then decided to try my luck at Hotwire.com and ended up getting Óðinsve.

Positives: One of the original city hotels. Superb location, within easy walking distance of the city centre, proximity to restaurants, cafes, shopping. Pleasant hotel staff. Excellent breakfast served in a charming, cosy setting. Wi-fi internet included in the room rate. Clean rooms.

Negatives: Rooms look a bit dated (but okay for a night). Small lobby. 3-star hotel marketed as 4-star.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Central hotel £- easy walking distance to places of interest. Service good and reception staff extremely helpful. Room was rather basic - shower did not work properly but this was quickly fixed. Curtains did not darken the room at all. Twin beds were at opposite sides of a peculiarly shaped room. Breakfast poor.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Very nice hotel. Walking distance to the main city centre street. Service was excellent - very helpful with booking tours, offering advice, etc. The breakfast has a lot of options and was good quality. I would definitely recommend this hotel.
The only thing I might say is that although the location is very good... if you plan on doing lots of tours (which I think is the main thing you will want to do in Iceland - blue lagoon, northern lights, horse riding etc.) then you should know that the tours usually operate on the basis that they pick you up and drop you off from the hotels and they stop at multiple hotels. As this hotel is very centrally located it actually means you end up being the first one picked up and the last one dropped off. Knowing this now I would probably go for a hotel a bit further out and get a better/cheaper hotel. But if you do want to stay closer to the centre then you can't go wrong with this hotel

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Moliden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We spent four nights at Hotel Odinsve. The hotel is situated just 5 minutes from the main street and 10 minutes from the harbour. The rooms are spacious and clean and the staff very service-minded. The breakfast buffe' provides everything you can possibly think of. Yum yum. We would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Reykjavik.

• Stayed June 2013
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

On my second visit to Iceland I stayed five nights in Odinsve in June, part job and part vacation. This is high tourist season and I visited twenty hotel pages before I found a room here. It was a deluxe and quite expensive, but a nice corner room on the top floor with windows on two walls and a balcony running around both sides of the building with great views over the city and the sea. The room was light and friendly, with wooden floors and a Nordic atmosphere. The bathroom was a bit small. When you shower or bathe, there is a bad smell because of volcanic sulphur in the hot water, which comes long-distance from thermal springs; this is a problem everywhere in Reykjavik. The cold water is pure and good to drink, though. The staff were all very young but friendly and helpful. The restaurant/bar is very lively and was crowded every night, also with locals who use this as a popular hangout. I only had a lunch there (catfish) and that was excellent. The breakfast is more basic, Location is fine with only a few minutes walk to popular pedestrian shopping and restaurant streets. It is also just fifteen minutes walk from the airport bus terminal (unless you paid a bit extra to be taken to the door). The neighbourhood is quiet and I slept well - even if the bed was a little bit shorter than usual. All in all, I was satisfied with my stay - although I would have liked a bit more choices for my breakfasts.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Odinsve? Share your experiences!