“No frills hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Metropolitan Hotel

You added Metropolitan Hotel to your Saves list
Metropolitan Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ranargata 4A, Reykjavik 101, Iceland (Formerly Fosshotel City)   |
Ranked #44 of 51 Hotels in Reykjavik
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
“No frills hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

Fortunately I had read a couple reviews before I left on my 5-day, 4-night vacation in early March 2014 to Reykjavik so I had low expectations for this hotel. The only reason I gave this a three star was because of the location. It really warrants a 2. Somebody described it as a step up from a hostel and I think that's an accurate description. My single room with a twin bed was small, as expected, and quite modest. I was out early in the morning for about 14 hours each day, exploring the city or taking a tour of the country side so I didn't mind the modest accommodations. I also appreciated having my own bathroom, though the hot water in the shower was limited (where's all that geo thermal power???!!:.) My room appeared to be straightened every day though that's not a concern since I was traveling solo and can easily make my own bed. The bed linens and duvet were quite old and worn. The bottom sheet had a tear in it near the feet. The pillows need to be replaced and smelled kind of musty (I replaced it with my fleece) and the heat never came on in my 4th floor room. Since there was a lot of snow and ice during my stay a little heat from the radiator would have been cozy, but the window above the bed that had a gap made it drafty for sleeping. I wore my wool hat two nights, and asked for an extra towel that I put at the window to try and block the draft. The hotel manager, Siggy, was gruff and abrupt, but I was prepared for that from previous hotel ratings. When the lights went out at 9 p.m. one evening, due to my phone charger I called Siggy who was on his way home but promptly returned to the hotel and fixed the problem (scolding me in the process for causing it). Would I stay there again? Yes, because the location in the old part of Reykjavik was in great walking distance to shops, cafes, the harbor. I'd ask for a new pillow next time. The tour companies in Iceland are great because they pick you right up outside your hotel or guest house promptly between 8-8:30 a.m.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

I had read some of the reviews and seen the photos. I was prepared for a tiny room. That is also the standard for most older European hotels. I was not prepared for a pillow with a hollow caused by the previous guest. Nor for a note saying they clean the room four times a week.

For the prices they charge, they should at least clean the room. The price was comparable to Leifur Eiriksson or many of the others like Apartment K and pricier than guesthouses (in the range of $80-100 per night and I checked the summer rates which go up to $200-230 per night). Budet and basic hotels still change their linens for every new guest.

That said, I had informed them that I would be arriving late, they had left an envelop with keys and wi-fi information. That made my check-in after midnight smooth and uneventful.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

This hotel is classed as a three star hotel, but i am not sure that it is. This hotel is in a great location to the old harbor area, but the rooms are small and cosy and the bathroom was small. Breakfast was fine to start the day but was limited cheese, ham and bread. A good place but do not expect much.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Truro, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

The initial impression of this hotel from the outside was not favourable – but got worse once we stepped inside. The hotel is basic – very basic. The breakfast room (the only meal available) was more akin to a trucker’s diner or one of those rooms in a hostel that they let you eat your take-away in. The stairs leading to the bedrooms needed to be climbed carefully as the rips and tears in the carpet could soon have you tumbling down to the ground floor. Being suspicious, I checked the fire extinguishers – they were last looked at in 2007!

We were shown to a twin bedroom rather that the double room we requested as the owner said “I thought you’d appreciate our biggest room “. As the room was tiny, we checked. He was right, the double rooms were ridiculously small. The ‘largest’ room had an alcove with some hangers in, two single beds, a small table with a TV from the seventies on it and two chairs. That was it, no chest of drawers or other such luxuries. The en-suite wet room was equally as basic and very grubby (although a card promised that the room was cleaned every day, the same toothpaste splashes we made on the first day remained throughout the duration of our stay). Breakfast consisted of cheese and meat slices, sliced bread, cereal, and on one day only - a boiled egg.
The saving grace (other than the price) was our host, who provided lots of advice and cheerfully dealt with our tour problems for us. He forgot to prepare any breakfast for us on our last day but wasn’t in the slightest bit upset when we told him we’d helped ourselves in his kitchen (which incidentally, was the filthiest I’ve ever seen).

The location was fantastic being a short walk to the old town, restaurants and shops.

Room Tip: If you need a decent sized room - go elsewhere.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

Ok so this place isn't the ritz or the Hilton. It's a 3* hotel which meets the needs of anyone working to a budget.

The place could do with a bit of smartening up but it's perfectly practical for somewhere to get your head down, have a shower and get breakfast before venturing into Reykjavik! It's location is only 2 minutes from the harbour and about 5 minutes walk from the main area of Reykjavik.

We stayed for 4 nights and although booked into a double room the owner put us into a twin room as the twin rooms are bigger. He did say we could swap to a double room if we wanted but was more than happy for us to push the beds together (I will just add I went with my wife!). The room was basic, but was lovely and warm, had a tv and a shower & wc. The decor and some of the furniture looked a bit tired but as mentioned before it is only a budget hotel.

The shower was powerful and very hot which is also a bonus.

Breakfast was a self-serve very basic continental breakfast which consisted of cereals, bread, cheese & a selection of meats as well as jam and marmalade. There was also fresh fruit orange every day as well as juice and coffee. With the self serve it meant you could get as much as you want to set you up for the day.

On the days that we had booked early departing tours, the owner left the breakfast items in the fridge near the reception so we could help ourselves in the morning. He also left out a kettle and coffee so I could make a drink.

The owner was very helpful throughout our stay and even let us use the phone in our room to make local calls without charging us.

Did seem slightly strange that we were the only people in the hotel for 3 out of the 4 nights but January does seen to be the quietist month for tourism in Reykjavik.

If your looking for a budget hotel, which is within easy walking distance of the centre and gives you the basics and a good breakfast then you couldn't go far wrong with the Metropolitan.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

The hotel is a budget one and is good if you just need a place to sleep. Its simple, comfortable , has wifi, great location, provides breakfast and that's it. The reception is not manned all the time and there is no room service. Its basic and that is reflected in the price.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Suffolk
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

We have just returned from our stay at the Metropolitan hotel. I have stayed in many budget 3* hotels before but when I arrived here I wanted to cry! the outside impression is dated/run down. When we arrived the guy on reception was friendly enough and told us we could choose from a 'twin room' which was bigger, or a 'double' which was smaller. So we chose the twin. We got in the terrifying lift! ( Like a dirty very narrow cupboard from the 70's) and went to our room. When we got inside it was awful! Marked whiteish walls with old 80s style curtains, an ancient cord telephone and old tv. Old stained bedsheets And too scratched/stained mini bedside tables. We decided to change rooms and have the double. This was tiny! There were a few hairs and stains on the old duvet, nd the top blankets lining was falling apart. But it seemed abit cleaner and slightly more bareable. The bathroom was tiny! with the bottom dregs of soap in the soap bottle. But the room Was warm which was good after being outside. The breakfast was Very basic, only bread and a toaster with some slices of cheese and some meat. Some hard boiled eggs (abit green inside) Or cereal. There is no lounge area or bar. The hotel location is the most positive thing about it, as it is within a few minutes walking distance to the centre of Reykjavik. If you like abit of luxury then avoid this place! This hotel isn't atall modern, and is a slight step up from a hostel. I'm not sure how it got it's 3*, as it certainly does not meet a British 3*standard. We got used to the place (and the dodgy old lift) by the end of the week, but I probably wouldn't stay here again.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Metropolitan Hotel? Share your experiences!