“A good base in Reykjavík” 4 of 5 stars

Icelandair Hotel Reykjavik Natura
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nautholsvegur 52, Reykjavik 101, Iceland   |
Ranked #31 of 48 Hotels in Reykjavik
Roskilde, Denmark
“A good base in Reykjavík”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

A colleague of mine and I chose this hotel for a business trip because it offered the best price at time of booking. We had no idea about the geography of Reykjavík, and were first taken aback by the location: close to the international terminal of the domestic airport (yes, there is one!) but quite a walk from the town center (the hotel claims it's twenty minutes, it was more like forty for us). But once we acquired a working knowledge of the excellent bus network (and got a free travel card from the hotel), that turned out to be no problem. There is also what must be one of Reykjavíks best restaurants (Nauthóll) in walking distance.
Nice, really multilingual (not just English-speaking) and helpful staff, clean and spacious rooms, and a great breakfast buffet. I just wish the buffet had more Icelandic specialties; it was good European standard fare, but apart from skýr (almost fat-free and delicious Icelandic milk product) nothing that was local. But what about Icelandic bread specialties like rúgbrauð and the world-famous flatbraud?
For me, boiled eggs in a breakfast buffet are always a quality benchmark. Here they were both soft boiled (not hard) and not cold. Proof of the staff's looking after details.
Although the small domestic airplanes have their runway right behind the hotel, I did not hear one of them landing or taking off.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We stayed here as opposed to staying in the downtown area because it was the hotel that our travel company was using as the meeting place for a trip that was departing at 8:00 AM. The staff was very nice and the bartender in the hotel lounge is particularly charming. The rooms are comfortable and are an adequate size, nothing special about them except for the lighting which is really, really good. (I find that to be a problem in many hotels. So dark even with all the lights on, makes you wonder what they are trying to hide.)
I booked directly with the hotel and got the best rate you could get for the upgraded room. This was because we were staying 3 nights. That discount is not offered if you book through any of the booking websites.
Our flight arrived at 11:45 PM and we didn't get to the hotel until about 1:30 AM. Was worried that our room would be given away with this uber late arrival and probably confirmed that late arrival about 10 times. I needn't have worried. The check in was smooth and easy.
So here are the plusses:
Clean and comfortable
Nice Staff
Free bus pass for the entire metro area and the bus stop is right in front of the hotel
Taxis are ready available in front of the hotel

Here are the minuses:
It is not really walking distance to the city center. They say it is a 15- 20 minute walk but there are places where there is no walkway and you are in the street. It looked to be a bit longer than 20 minutes and if the weather is bad, which it was while we were there, you won't want to walk it.
If you use the buses be aware that you have to transfer at Hlemmer for a bus to the main tourist area but this is easily walkable once you get to Hlemmer . We never took a transfer bus to the metro area.

The spa which was part of what we should have had access to in the upgrade was closed down while we were there and I wonder if that is the case often. I thought we should have been compensated for this in some fashion but the hotel did not agree!!

The restaurant closes at 10:00 PM SHARP!!!!!! I saw a guest try to get something to eat at 10:01 and it was a no. They do have a little "vending" area where you can purchase a sandwich and some beverages if the restaurant is closed.

Bottom line is that I would opt to stay in the city if I had this to do over. More convenient. Was worried about how noisy it would be in the city on Friday and Saturday nights but there are plenty of hotels that are on the outskirts of where the revelry is happening.

Room Tip: One that overlooks the back of the hotel is probably better than what we had. We heard the tour buse...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We were here for 2 nights before a tour and 3 nights after it. The front staff couldn't do enough for us, and always with a smile. Early check-in because was given by 9:30. It takes 20 min to walk to the town and the hotel also provides free bus passes. The breakfast was great- loads of choices in the buffet. Yes, the bathroom and shower are small but so what! The beds are comfortable and the room a very adequate size. If I had to say anything negative, it would be that wifi was only available downstairs, not in the room.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Trausti K, Sales Manager at Icelandair Hotel Reykjavik Natura, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of our hotel, Reykjavik Natura.

First of all I am very glad to see that you would consider staying with us again. That means a lot to us and you are most definitely welcome back to Reykjavík Natura. I can agree on some part that the internet should be available without charge in the rooms, but we decided to charge a small fee for the internet which allows us to offer our guests a really high speed and secure internet connection. But I will pass on your comment regarding the internet to the general manager and we will see what we can do.
Overall I would like to thank you for your positive comment and we look forward to seeing you again.

Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

It was a lovely hotel; room a bit small for 2 people and shower was tiny! Otherwise, fantastic experience. Spa was fantastic and staff were gracious and patient. Restaurant was wonderful but a bit pricey. They offered complimentary bus passes which were very useful in getting around the city.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from elevators.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review of our hotel, Reykjavik Natura.

I am glad that the complimentary bus passes came in handy and that you had a fantastic experience here at Reykjavík Natura. Regarding the size of the room, if you stay with us again, I advise you to upgrade to a deluxe room. The deluxe room is much bigger in size and also has a much bigger bathroom with a bathtub/shower instead of only shower. Also included in a deluxe room is an access to the fantastic spa which, reading from your comment, you were able to enjoy on your latest trip. At a deluxe room you will also have free internet, bathrobes and in addition you will have access to the 4th floor lounge, over-viewing the airport.
Hopefully my advice will someday come in handy when and if you visit us again. Thanks again for your review and I will make sure to forward your compliments to our staff, they will appreciate it.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here one night (booked through Iceland Unlimited). It is a 20 minute walk from downtown Reykjavik, which would have it been fine had the weather not been so rainy. Since we were only in Reykjavik for one night I wish we had been closer to downtown.

We arrived from Washington DC very early in Reykajvik and we were so lucky and thankful that the hotel had a room available for early check in. Thank you Icelandair Hotel Natura! I am happy that I read the hotel reviews prior to checking in or otherwise I would have been shocked at how tiny the room and bathroom were. The room was clean and the bed and pillows were very comfortable. The bathroom was tiny...think cruise ship bathroom. The hotel has a spa, which I would have never guessed because the bathroom hotel products were very lacking and there were no slippers or bathrobes that typical four star spa hotels usually provide.

There is free wi-fi in the lobby and the breakfast was just okay. They did have both American and European cuisine. No fresh OJ....

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review of our hotel, Reykjavik Natura.

I am sorry to hear that you had to walk in the rain to the central area, since we do offer complimentary bus passes and there is even a bus that goes directly from the hotel to the central area, every 30 minutes. I advise you to ask for one in the lobby if you stay with us again.

We actually do provide organic toiletries from Sóley Natura in all of our rooms. These products are inspired by the Icelandic nature and only include organic Icelandic ingredients. Regarding the size of the room I advise you to upgrade to a deluxe room if you stay with us again. The deluxe room is much bigger in size and also has a much bigger bathroom with a bathtub/shower instead of only shower. Also included in a deluxe room is an access to the fantastic spa which, reading from your comment, you were able to enjoy on your latest trip. At a deluxe room you will also have free internet, bathrobes and in addition you will have access to the 4th floor lounge, overviewing the airport.
Hopefully you will have the chance to stay with us again since I am sure that you can experience Reykjavík Natura in a more positive way.

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I only stayed here for a night in April, but I definitely enjoyed myself! There were issues when checking in which was frustrating, but that was the only downside of my stay. The rooms were very clean, and the beds were comfortable! The downstairs area served as a lovely lounging area that was quite trendy. We ate at Satt during our stay, which is the restaurant in the hotel. I walked downstairs to the spa area and spoke with the woman behind the counter. She was very nice and willing to explain everything to me when I didn't understand! The service at the hotel was wonderful. I would recommend Natura for sure.

Not to mention, the breakfast was amazing. They had the front area supplied with yogurt and breads, but if you went around the corner to the back room, there was that AND more. Sliced meats, juices, coffees, more bread (and multiple kinds too), and lots of fruit. The breakfast was probably my favorite part of the stay. Of course, the food in Iceland is amazing and this was my last morning there. So it could be a combination of everything!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel, Reykjavik Natura.
First of all I am sorry to hear that you had some trouble with the check in process, I sincerely apologies for any inconvenience that may have caused you. On the other hand I am glad to see that you enjoyed yourself here at Reykjavík Natura. I can understand that the breakfast buffet was the highlight of your stay since it is utterly delicious.
And finally; thank you for recommending us, that means a lot to us. Hopefully we will have the pleasure of accommodating you again in the future.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Staff were very friendly and helpful.
Located next to the domestic airport, but I never noticed any airport noise during our stay.
Small shower stall (2 x 2 feet).
The buffet breakfast was great and suited North American or European tastes.
I cannot speak to value as it was part of our overall package.
Blackout curtains worked very well in late July midnight sun.
Not near downtown, so you would need transportation there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel, Reykjavik Natura.
I would like to thank you for complementing our staff, I will make sure that they receive your compliments. You are correct that some people probably need transportation to get to the central area and that is why we offer them free bus passes. However for those who are able to walk into the central area, I would strongly recommend them to do so, it only takes about 20 minutes and there are a lot of things to see on the way. So if you belong to the second group, I recommend you to enjoy the city walk to the city center. You can of course use the bus pass to get back to the hotel if you are not in a mood for walking back.

Last but not lease I am glad to see that you enjoyed the breakfast buffet. Hopefully you will have the chance to enjoy the breakfast buffet again sometime in the future.

Trausti Karlsson

Been to Icelandair Hotel Reykjavik Natura? Share your experiences!