“Very good value” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 48 hotels in Reykjavik
London, United Kingdom
“Very good value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

Slightly away from the centre of town, but makes up for it in many ways. Wonderful spa, great food, friendly staff and a nice overall environment. Plenty of nice walks make for a very good base for a holiday or business trip. Good quality restaurant on site, and a healthy breakfast, as well as a decent bar, with some fresh food provide added value.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

830 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
West Bend, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

I stayed at the Natura for five nights and enjoyed every one.

I was in a double room which was very clean and comfortable and quiet. The bath room was the size of a cruise ship stateroom bathroom but adequate for one person. The beds were typical European; a bit smaller than my 6'3" frame and softer than I prefer.

The restaurant was very good with a fine breakfast. Service by the front desk, housekeeping and food and beverage teams was excellent.

If I was by myself I'd hurry back. The bath rooms my be a bit too small for two guests unless they are quick to get ready.

I tried to use the swimming pool several times only to find it full each time. It's not very close to any restaurants or other activities. A taxi to the Centrum runs about $10 USD.

Room Tip: Plan on using a taxi to get around town.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
raleigh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

I stayed 4nts in FEB 2012 at the Natura for an international travel seminar. Though the hotel was filled to capacity, the staff handled every person and situation flawlessly, with a smile and perfect English. Hotel is well appointed with a well designed restaurant serving delicious breakfast, lunch and dinner meals in a contemporary setting. The spa offers a full menu of facials, scrubs and massages. It is situated on the quiet lower level with a cozy fireplace and serene pool, large enough to swim laps; a hot tub is adjacent. Workout facilities are ample; there's treadmill and elliptical equipment. I requested a quiet room away from the elevator which had a great mountain view; the room had 2 twins pushed together to make a king bed with a fabulous down comforter. The blackout curtains - while not needed in the long winter days - would be essential for the midnight sun in summer. When an overcharge for a phone call appeared on my bill, the manager took care of it quickly, with a smile and apology, couldn't ask for better service! After inspecting over 8 other hotels in the city, I'd come back to the Natura for its peaceful setting, delightful cuisine and super staff, it's a winner!

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor away from elevators
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

I cannot complain in the slightest about this hotel (apart from running out of tea when there was a British emergency, lol). We were put up by Icelandair for free when our flight was cancelled and it was a lovely pad to relax in. It reminded me of Premier Inn (I quite like Premier Inns!) a bit sterile and soulless, but no one's going to be offended. Our room was 201.

Shower was great, and didn't smell of sulphur (some can!). Lovely for washing the salt out of my hair from the Blue Lagoon. Beds were comfy and the TV picked up BBC2 for a bit of Top Gear before bed. No radiators for drying soggy Blue Lagoon towels though. Free internet in the lobby meant I could get in touch with friends and family to let them know I wouldn't be home on time.

Sorry for the obsession with tea, but again, what's with the tiny mugs people? And you need to ask for milk from downstairs otherwise it's coffee whitener (bleurgh).

They had a shop with some essential snacky bits (had to walk to the filling station for a pear Skyr and a Thrister still though) and pretty jewellery to marvel at. Bar was well stocked and had a happy hour (handy with Iceland prices!). Food was really nice, just what we needed. Was hoping the flight would be delayed MORE so we could enjoy the in-hotel spa and pool, but Icelandair are too efficient :)

Slightly weird that there were Christmas trees out front and they played Christmas songs at dinner...thought I might have been dreaming!

Slightly too far into town, glad I was only there at the end, but a good end.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front overlook the Pearl, which is pretty at night.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Birmingham England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

This hotel has been refurbished and I have stopped there when it was the dated Icelandair Loftleidir Hotel. On arrival I was disappointed to see the outside of the hotel still looks like my secondary school and has not be changed/updated.

On entering the hotel foyer you can see this has been updated. The foyer, shop bar and restaurant are looking fresh and new. The hotel has a nature theme and there are many stuffed animals and pictures of Icelands natural sights.

We did an Icelandair package which included the first night and the last night of our trip at this hotel. The first room was really nice a decent size however the second room was small and still looked dated so I guess it depends how lucky you are? Both beds were clean warm and looked new. The first room temperature was much better than the second room which kept changing. Both showers had damage to their bases where the white surface was missing and showing the black base unit. Hairdryer kettle and TV.

The Satt Restaurant – We visited for an evening meal. I had a traditional Icelandic fish (cod) gratin served with steamed rye bread which was well cooked and presented and reasonably priced by Icelandic standards. 3,590 ISK - £18.49 A small side order of sweet potato chips cost 490 ISK - £2.52. I choose a whipped Skyr blueberries with meringue and toasted white chocolate which was lovely and cost 1,280 ISK - £6.59 Service was very polite but a little slow.

Breakfast – Grab and go if your up before 7am was very poor for a large hotel. A few cereals limited bread rolls ham and cheese. A couple of bananas and apples. A selection of teas and some coffee. Not really worth getting up for! After 7am you have the pleasure of cold baked beans scrambled eggs and chipolata sausage all cold…………..Not sure what it is with hotels they can’t manage to keep warm food even warm let alone hot? Plenty of warm bread and bread rolls though. A couple of different cereals and a small selection of fruit. Ham, cheese, jam and pate. A bowl of small muffins and some biscuits. 3 types of fruit juice. Not a rasher of bacon in sight :-(

There is a little shop near the reception desk where you can pick cold drinks and a few snacks or a sandwich up along with gifts such as books, postcards, jewellery and woollen stuff. It’s also houses tour info/brochures and you are able to book trips really easy there. They are open until 8pm most nights.

There is a shuttle bus that runs into town but not very often and it’s about a 20 - 25 minute walk.

Reception offered us bedtime stories but we didn’t take the offer up!

The pool and spa have been refurbished................it needed it! Free to guests. Make sure you take a towel out of your room else you will have to hire one. There is also a small area where you can sit and watch people in the pool/hot tub. Water at 41 degrees very nice and relaxing.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
New York, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

I didn't really have high expectations when I came here, because I'd done my homework on tripadvisor and knew that this was NOT a four star hotel. However, beware, Icelandair, which has very reasonably priced packages with otherwise very satisfactory experiences, will try to bill this place as a luxury four star establishment, when it is, in fact, not even a three star place, unless you get an upgraded room (not included in the packages!).

The outside is a rather sickly puke green color, but the inside is sleek and modern. The lobby decor is the only thing about the place that approaches anything close to four stars, though. Even though we booked an Icelandair package that guaranteed us checkin by 10 am at the latest, we didn't get a room until close to 11 am, though our flight landed at 6 am and the flybus included in the package dropped us off by 7. When we appealed to the staff for some sort of compensation for spending 3 jet lagged hours in the lobby desperately wanting a bed, they told us checkin wasn't guaranteed until noon, which was not only an outright lie, but quite inconsiderate. It was a difficult wait with a very disorganized process, and wouldnt we rather be out enjoying Iceland instead of waiting for our rooms? Even if they're not obligated to compensate us, some sympathy wouldn't have killed them.

The rooms themselves were pretty much glorified dorm rooms. Tiny, drafty, and bare. Again, it's important to do your homework. If you're hoping for Scandinavian chic from this place, you'll need to upgrade. The standard rooms have sticky wooden floors that made me cringe to walk on, a closet sized bathroom, stingy linen, no thermostat or alarm clock, and an outdated TV. It is squarely budget accommodations.

The food is very expensive in their restaurant. Our package didn't include breakfast, so I didn't spring for that.

The location is a bit out of the way from Reykjavik. It's about 30 minutes to walk and there is a shuttle bus that doesn't run nearly often enough.

As for the positive aspects, the spa and pool are not bad. The facilities are decent though they are small. Most of the staff except the ones who checked us in were helpful and gave us great tips for navigating Reykjavik.

The only reason why this place gets three stats rather than two was because Iceland in general was so wonderful, including most of the people we met at this hotel. But know there is nothing about either the service or amenities that make it four stars.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012 via mobile

We had a car with us so the location didn't bother us that much but given the amount of snow and rain during our stay we would have had to spend a lot of money on taxis otherwise. Still, given the small size of Reykjavik it would have been nice to be able to walk to dinner. If you are either driving or mainly being picked up for tours, this is less of an issue. The heated pool was a nice place to unwind in the evening, although ISK 1000 for the use of the robe I thought was a bit steep.

Windows are double glazed so little noise comes in but one can hear conversations in the hallway. We had one of the yet to be renovated standard rooms which was fine.

I've spent more on worse places so overall a decent functional hotel.

• Stayed January 2012

Been to Icelandair Hotel Reykjavik Natura? Share your experiences!