“ideal location for short break” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Plan ahead and save 20%
Ranked #36 of 51 Hotels in Reykjavik
Waterford, Ireland
“ideal location for short break”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

Delighted we stayed here for 4 nights in April and used location as a base for our day trips. We were located on the fifth floor with great views over to the snow clad mountains. The room was very comfortable with tea and coffee making facilities and the toiletries were good quality. We had a quiet room and slept very well. There was a lovely lobby area just beside lifts where it was nice to sit with a glass of wine in the evening and watch the wonderful sunsets. Breakfast was included in our package and this was very good each morning. There was plenty of choice and supply, and it really set us up for the day! It is a easy scenic 15 min walk to city centre. Our car rental company delivered and collected our car from hotel at no extra charge. Parking at the hotel was free and plentiful and there was a petrol station very close by. Many tour companies pick up at the hotel for day excursions.There is a good tourist information desk located within the hotel reception area. Another handy thing about this hotel is the ATM machine located at the side entrance. Overall this hotel comes highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
RD_Saga, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Saga Hotel, Reykjavik, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Dear guest,

We are looking forward to welcome you back soon.
Isey Thorgrimsdottir

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Korean first
Navan, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

The hotel is in a very good location for walking in to the city centre or walking to BSI bus terminal. Tour companies will also collect and drop to the hotel and there is a bus stop nearby which we used to get to Laugardalslaug public bath.
The breakfast was good, even for a vegetarian like myself. There is also a nice bar and a spa, hairdressers and barbers.
The room itself was where I would fault the hotel - it had a very basic design and the beds (singles even though I put in a request for a double) had only one thin pillow each. Both my boyfriend and I woke up with sore necks once or twice!
However in saying that all the staff were very friendly and I would recommend it if you are going mainly to tour around the city and the surrounding area.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
RD_Saga, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Saga Hotel, Reykjavik, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your very nice comments about your stay and the hotel. It is a pleasure to hear you found our hotel staff excellent and It is refreshing to learn our service quality has met your expectations. I am sorry about your neck, we do keep extra pillows in the closet or you could ask the reception for extra pillow and they would be happy to assist.

We are looking forward to welcome you back soon.

Horsham, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Stayed here for a week in Feb. Had phoned ahead before arrival to ensure were getting 2 rooms connecting as had children with us. When arrived late in evening, were given 2 rooms which were not connecting! We were told hotel was full to capacity and we were put up on 6th floor which is clearly in major need of modernisation. The rooms were REALLY bad, tatty and dirty. We were given 2 rooms both with very small double beds, so I slept in one with my daughter, whilst my husband and son slept in the other down other end of corridor. Not a good start, spent night trawling internet for another hotel!
The next morning however, they did come good and gave us a huge suite with a connecting room with 2 single beds which was a lot better. However the hotel in general is very dated, it reminded me a municipal 70s building. The windows in the room were metal and drafty and the radiators looked like the ones at school. The room was clean though and the beds comfy and the room was always warm.
It has good bar area with bar food which was fair, we also ate in the restaurant one night as weather was too bad to go out and this was excellent, especially the lamb, highly recommend it,but it is a little pricey.
The location of the hotel is good, about 10 minutes walk into the old town, (when the lake frozen over you can cut across it, though that's a little scary at first).
This hotel by far has the better location as during the week when touring around the city, saw many other hotels that we had considered and they are nowhere near the old part of town which is the best area with all restaurants etc. A lot of other hotels eg, Hilton are miles out in the industrial/business area. So overall would recommend this hotel over others.

Room Tip: Dont settle for rooms on 6th floor, they need modernisation. The other floor s are much better.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear guest,
Thank you for staying at Radisson Blu Hotel Saga and for taking the time to write these very nice comments. I am sorry about the first night but happy to hear you got connecting the next day.

We are looking forward to welcome you back
Reykjavik, Iceland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

Paid extra on our package to bump up a star. Our travel agent also requested an upgrade as we were celebrating our anniversary so we ended up in business class rooms. I have to admit I am a hotel snob, I do believe that a hotel room should be at least as nice as my own bedroom at home. The rooms and hotel decor we very disappointing as I was lead to believe Iceland was at the forefront of design and style. The barman actually got into a huff with us when we left 20 mins after waiting to be served? On the plus sides the cleaners were very good at their job, the hotel sent us a bottle of wine on arrival and the lobby staff were good also. The breakfast buffet was a nightmare, long long queues to be seated as if all the people waiting to have their food came as an unexpected shock to staff! I would not stay here again and would only recommend this hotel to someone I didn't like very much!

• Stayed April 2014
Dear guest,
First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your comments on tripadvisor with your feedback following your stay at the Radisson Blu Hotel Saga.

I would like to apologize for any inconvenience caused and sincerely regret that you were not satisfied with the service you received and the assistance was given.

I can assure you that I have started an investigation as soon as I saw your comments and have taken precautions that similar issues do not happen again in the future.

Once again, I apologize that this unfortunate experience has given you a wrong impression about the Hotel’s services and standards and I sincerely hope that the experience will not deter you from returning to one of our properties in the future.

Bethesda
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

We spent two nights at this Radisson while on a stopover from a European trip. The hotel has seen better days, the furniture and carpets are a bit dated but overall it is a very good deal for the money. We got the rate through Priceline and we definitely got our money's worth. The hot water stinks of sulphur but we were told that is standard in Iceland since they are using geothermal hot water. The staff was extremely nice, there was only one towel and only two small pillows when we checked in, after I called the reception they were in our room within 3 minutes with the extra towels and pillows. The room ( on the 7th floor had a great view of the city, the water and the mountains. The breakfast buffet was extremely good. Given the food prices in Reykjavik restaurants, an all inclusive breakfast was a great value especially that they had a fantastic spread of goodies, more like a nice brunch. Very impressed with the breakfast. Overall I would recommend this place if you don't mind some older and slightly used and scratched furniture in your room. It was very clean and we enjoyed our stay, just don't expect a "deluxe" hotel.

Dear guest
I appreciate the time you took to share your beautiful comments about Radisson Blu Saga Hotel. It is an honor for us to hear such nice words from you about our hotel and to know you enjoyed your stay.

We would be delighted to welcome you back soon again.
Cork, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights over Easter. The triple room was just about adequate. We paid extra to the travel agent to upgrade to this 4 star hotel, The 3rd bed was a fold away without a headboard. The towels were poor quality, as were the pillows. We asked for extra pillows which we got. The breakfast was good, I was able to get gluten free bread and I loved the juice bar!
The staff on reception were very helpful, they phoned a restaurant to check they were open late, when I made an enquiry. The food in the bar was good, the barman was not! He was rude, abrupt and even shouted at the kitchen staff when he was placing an order for me. He was not Icelandic, so maybe he seemed aggressive in comparison to the laid back, friendly Icelandic people. I also think the hotel needs to have a proper information booklet in each room, we didn't see the information about the buffet option until we were leaving...Little things can make a difference when the building is old...spend money on pillows and towels and send the barman on a hospitality course.

Room Tip: We booked this as a 50th birthday present for my husband, we should have mentioned this as others wh...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear guest
Thank you very much for your valuable feedback that you have shared about your stay in Radisson Blu Saga hotel. We both value and respect your kind comments. I assure that your comments and experiences during your stay are very valuable to us and will be taken very seriously without any delay. We always prefer the listen every guest's experience in details to improve our service standards.

We sincerely hope to welcome you back to in the near future

Akureyri, Iceland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

Stayed two nights.

The first night I dined at the restaurant with very pleasant personnel. After that I moved to the bar. There was a football game on TV and getting the bartenders attention took some effort. I placed some personal papers on the bardisk (including the signed receipt from the restaurant). The bartender took the papers. I said these were personal papers and asked for the back but instead of giving them back he read through them and demanded further proof that I really had payed at the restaurant. I had to raise my voice to get my personal belongings back. He offered no apologise!

I stayed the second night on my way back a few days later. Checked in late and showed a voucher that was accepted. When checking out the day after "there was no mentions of a voucher in the computer" according to the personnel. But they did not look for it until I asked them to do so. Then the voucher was found in a drawer in the next desk. No apologise was offered until I asked for one.

Maybe these were freak incidences. But I have never in all my travels met service of this kind in a hotel that is supposed to be 4 star.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear guest
I am very sorry to read of your disappointing experience during your stay. This is certainly not our standard of operating. I am pleased to inform you that your valuable comments have been distributed to related departments to take the necessary actions.

On a positive note, I am glad you shared your honest feedback with us. We make guest satisfaction top priority and are always eager to improve.

Hope to see you again soon
Isey Thorgrimsdottir

Been to Radisson Blu Saga Hotel, Reykjavik? Share your experiences!