“Great hotel in a problematic area” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Grand Hotel Reykjavik to your Saves list
Prices are for rooms, adults
Grand Hotel Reykjavik
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Sigtun 38, Reykjavik 125, Iceland (Formerly Top CityLine Grand Hotel Reykjavik) (Laugardalur)   |
Ranked #27 of 48 hotels in Reykjavik
Herzlia, Israel
“Great hotel in a problematic area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Stayed for 4 nights in late May 2014.
The hotel is great, got a room in an upper floor, as I asked. Room was well equipped, it had even a iron and iron board in the closet!
The bathroom was excellent. Breakfast was great, which a large selection buffet.
The only problem is the hotel location. It is fine if you have a car. But if you don't - expect a 30 minutes walk to the city center, or go by taxi, which are quite expensive.

Room Tip: Rooms near the elevators has better wifi reception.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

478 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Stayed for one night and had a very pleasent stay. The hotel is mainly for tour groups and bus access. Very good buffet clean rooms and extremely courteous and helpful staff. This is a busy hotel and sometimes crowded. If you are not with a tour group you might want to stay downtown
Doug Kirwn

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Diamond Springs, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

After the plane and taking FlyBus to the hotel, we arrived about 1:30 am. We found the desk clerk quite apathetic and unhelpful. We were given room 228 on the second floor which necessitated dragging all our luggage toward the elevator, lifting it up a short flight of stairs to the elevator, and dragging the luggage through double doors (not power) and down hallways to our room. The room, 228, is awful. The radiator was on, and it was like a sauna. The lighting was so dim, we couldn't see well enough to open the locks on our suitcases. The phone didn't work, the lamp at the desk had no bulb, the lamp by the bed didn't work. My husband went back to reception, and the same desk clerk told him to put the card key in the place next to the door. There was no place next to the door. I went back to the reception clerk and again explained the issues: too hot in the room, the windows didn't open, and we had no lighting. She returned with me and was surprised, apparently, to find that the room had no place to put the door key to turn on power---because it was an old, old room that had not been remodeled. She said the hotel was quite full, but that she'd see if she could find us another room. While our drama was going on, another guest was in the lobby complaining that her room was next to the hotel's club and that the rock music beat invaded her room.

Fortunately, the reception clerk did find us an empty room--133. Room 133 is a remodeled room. It is very comfortable, quiet, and everything seems to work--except the safe (no instructions and nothing I tried worked). We will be returning to the "Grand" after our self/drive and have requested the same room. The same apathetic reception clerk said she would put in the request, but there was no guarantee.

The breakfast buffet is busy and does offer many things. The staff does not clean off the tables quickly so if you arrive for breakfast after the first hour, the tables will probably not have been cleared or wiped down. The "Grand" knows that its prices, even at well over $300, are a deal compared to other available options, so it appears to me that the hotel, management, and staff do not care what customers think. If you stay in Reykjavik, you are kind of stuck. This rating is for Room 228.

Room Tip: If you are given room 228, change or go somewhere else.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Gylfi G, General Manager at Grand Hotel Reykjavik, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Dear diamondsprings,

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience you experienced while staying with us. I will personally ensure you will be allocated the room you requested and that you will experience what we truly have to offer.

Kind Regards,

Gylfi Freyr
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

I'm writing this review from the lobby. I'd write it from my room, but the wifi doesn't work there. Of course it doesn't! Welcome to Reykjavik's 'Grand' hotel.

This is not a luxury hotel, nor is it a four star hotel, by my reckoning. They certainly charge like it though, and advertise as such. It has a fancy lobby, and an expensive building. But the aircon and heating pipes in my room sound like a train. When I complained, a member of staff agreed that my room was very noisy. But the manageress (28/6/14 4pm) says that the only room she can move me to is above the bar and would be worse. 'This is the type of room you paid for'.

I paid US$300 for this room!

I'm in a group of three. We each have a separate room. Their rooms are the same - noisy enough to make it difficult to sleep. The rooms are too hot, but we don't have air con - just the noise from the pipes from other peoples' air con. The heating is off, but I've had quieter rooms in train carriages. The dull roar from the (other peoples'!) aircon is enough to drive you to drink, just to be able to sleep.

The lock on my door is broken, and beeps incessantly. I was told to fix this I should slam the door a few times and that 'it can be annoying sometimes' (quote from staff). Let me state this again: I paid US$300 per night for this room.

The restaurant is busy with kids running around. The room TV's reception is poor enough to make the picture difficult to watch. The staff obviously have interesting social lives as they are very busy talking to each other. No-one really cares about the customers.

My tip: don't stay on the first floor, apparently! Better yet, stay elsewhere! The room is clean and quite large, but that's as kind as I can be,

I intend to take this up with Foss Hotels' management. I stayed all over the world (check my other reviews!), and I've stayed in some awful hotels, but at least they were cheap. This hotel is extortionately expensive, and extremely poor quality. In the US, you may pay $100 or less for a place like this, the UK and Germany the same. |In Tokyo, you may pay more, but at least the room will be quiet. The cost of this place, given the service rendered, is abysmal. They may have a fancy building, but the room I have (148) is noisy and not suitable for purpose. The room I was offered in exchange (146) is worse according to the manageress.

You should do better than this place as somewhere to stay in Reykjavik. I certainly will in the future. I would not stay here again, and neither should you. It's easily the worst value hotel I have ever stayed in. That's enough from me - I'll go back to my room (with no wifi) and try to get enough sleep until tomorrow when I can find somewhere else to stay. Iceland, and Reykjavik, can be wonderful. The 'Grand' hotel ain't. Go somewhere else.

Room Tip: Try to find a room that s quiet. The rroms on the first floor are not!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Kryptikmo,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to write about your stay at Grand Hótel Reykjavík.

Please be assured I will use your feedback in order to further improve both our services as well as facilities. Your comments will not be overlooked, it is very important to us to hear from all our guests.

I firmly believe we do offer good value but I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your time with us.

Kind Regards,

Gylfi Freyr
Oxfordshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

Stayed here twice, at start and end of self-drive tour of Iceland (which was superb). Rooms were good on each occasion, spacious, clean and modern (though second time there were some stains on the furniture), with tea/coffee making facilities and a small refrigerator.

On first occasion, there was no hot water in the shower. Fortunately, there was in the bath. Later, I realized that the shower was one of those with a limiting switch to prevent overheating - and that some clever idiot had probably reset it to run cold only, as a trick! But the staff really need either to check on pranks like this, or provide clear instructions on how to operate complicated plumbing. Similarly, in the second room we had, the refrigerator wasn't working. Someone had unplugged it. Again, I ask, don't the staff check on things like this when they service the rooms? It's the same with lightbulbs. The number of hotel rooms I've been in where there's a dead lightbulb is beyond belief - again, appalling service from staff who simply do not check on anything, or care about anything.

We had dinner twice in the restaurant (there are no other restaurants in the area), and both times the service was appalling. First time, the staff didn't know anything. Food from the buffet was cold, and we had to ask for our plates to be reheated in a microwave. When we went to get dessert, our table had been cleared of everything, despite the fact that we'd left coats and jackets on the chairs. We had to ask for more glasses and more water. I also had to ask three times for the bill, and get quite angry before I got any response. Meanwhile, the staff stood gossiping with their friends and ignoring the diners.

Second time, the service was just as bad, though the food was hotter this time. We'd made a reservation, and arrived just after a group of 6 people who'd also made a reservation. All 8 of us stood waiting at the entrance, while the staff did nothing but look around at the other end of the room. In the end, I crossed the room and informed one of the idle staff that I had a reservation. After some confusion, we were seated. And there we sat for about 15 minutes, the other 6 still stood waiting for attention, while the staff busied themselves clearing and laying tables, and ignoring the waiting customers. The restaurant was less than half full, so there were plenty of vacant tables, including one clearly laid for the six still-waiting guests. Eventually, they were seated and someone came to take their orders. Meanwhile, staff swept past us, still oblivious to our presence, until I had to shout - can I get some service, please?! After that, it improved. The buffet was better, food was hot, and quite good. But there really is no excuse for the appalling service - or lack of it - that this restaurant offers. they really do need to buck their ideas up and invest in some training on how to serve customers, and not on how long they can pretend there is no-one there.

Room Tip: Avoid the atrium rooms, which overlook the lobby.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Divonne-les-Bains, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

Stayed there twice (3 + 4 nights - 19/05 + 01/06). Overall quite good, for Iceland standards. Not "grand" - that's just the name! It's a Foss Group hotel (we stayed at several of these- ok, but usually "something" doesn't work). Location not central, need a taxi, or a long walk. Rooms quite good and very clean. But you have to leave the room (go outside to hallway) to get wifi connection; not just our room, not just this hotel. Breakfast and dinner quite good; also quality of bar food. But there's no service in bar; you have to walk up to the desk, place your order / carry it to your table ("Grand" Hotel). For food order, asked for menu, but the bar man just pointed to where these are - not a single word ("can't you see?"). Rudest individual we've come across anywhere! Complained to manager (not on duty, only the next day). Very nice, very understanding, but .... "we are aware of this, are working on solving problems", etc. Of course, all of this is a question of your expectations! Why did we stay there twice? Booked / pre-paid with Tour.Is (grand tour - self driven - had chosen "best" hotel category).

Room Tip: high floor recommended, but still hear the very busy street noise (particularly when you open the wi...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Bainbridge Island, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

We are here with a tour group before boarding our ship. It is 40 minutes by bus from the airport, then when we arrived we were surprised to see the location is near nothing. No stores no sights no culture just a modern commercial zone with no people in surrounding neighborhoods.
The hotel is a typical modern European facility, clean, comfortable and decent service. Staff speaks English fluently.
Beds are modern European: too soft mattresses, too low to the ground, hard to get in and out of and not enough pillows.
The water smells and tastes like sulfur mineral water. It would have been nice if they provided bottled water.
We wanted to explore downtown but they only provide two shuttles a day and you either cab it back or walk uphill 30 minutes. So this is not a place to experience local culture, try local restaurants or shop for souvenirs.
Our buffet dinner was above average to good. Lots of choices including salads fish and meats. We enjoyed two kinds of lox and plenty of salad choices.
While here another tour group gathered in the lobby while loading on buses, so if you like mingling with lots of tourists this is a good place.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Grand Hotel Reykjavik? Share your experiences!