“Good hotel - Great staff.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hotel Reykjavik

You added Grand Hotel Reykjavik to your Saves list
Grand Hotel Reykjavik
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Sigtun 38, Reykjavik 105, Iceland (Formerly Top CityLine Grand Hotel Reykjavik) (Laugardalur)   |
Ranked #26 of 51 Hotels in Reykjavik
Newbury, United Kingdom
“Good hotel - Great staff.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Have to say this hotel is very welcoming and the rooms were very pleasant and clean. What made this hotel was the quality and the friendliness of the staff - despite being a very large hotel they were very friendly and helpful.

I would recommend this hotel to anybody who likes a quality chain hotel experience.

Room Tip: No comment
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

I stayed in this hotel for three nights from June 9th til 12th and overall it was a good and comfortable experience. I arrived late on Monday evening having taken the excellent flybus service from the airport( you can book online and the bus drops you to your hotel). I arrived near midnight having had a five hour stop over in Copenhagen airport and was glad to see that the hotel had a selection of sandwiches and drinks in the lobby. My room on the fifth floor was very comfortable, clean and quiet with good black-out curtains, a bath and a shower. it was a little hot and it took me a while to figure out that there was a small window which could be opened electronically. Breakfast was very good with a great selection of hot and cold foods and as we were at a conference we also had dinner there one evening. It was a good experience with good local produce. the wine was a bit too expensive but I guess when you have to import it, it goes without saying. Staff were excellent, helpful and polite and on the morning a group of us were leaving early for the airport the hotel provided breakfast from 4 am. The hotel staff will also arrange your tours and excursions. I will go back to Iceland because I only got to explore a tiny bit. The hotel has a good lobby and a nice bar where you can feel comfortable sitting alone or meeting people. Overall this is a good one and I would definitely go back

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Wexford, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

The staff were friendly and very helpful. The lock on the room-safe was faulty and they tried to fix it but no maintenance person was available. The hotel was modern and plenty of advice about tours and activities was available. Unfortunately the hotel was some distance from the centre of Reykjavik and although there was hotel transport sometimes to the city, which didn't always work out, there was no transport back so either a good walk or the additional cost of taxis had to be added to the holiday budget. However the hotel was very close to a huge municipal spa and swimming pool which was a bonus.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

My wife and I booked for one week at the Grand Hotel. I am 74 and disabled with MS. The hotel facilities were excellent but due to the weather in March, my condition using a scooter, location and transport difficulties, I had to depart earlier than expected. My wife of course notified the hotel and a return flight was booked with the aid of the hotel staff. My wife was attending a conference at the University of Iceland and stayed for the full week. Since arriving home we have asked for the hotel to refund the cost of the five-days; less any cancellation fees. The Hotel management has refused any refund on the grounds, as they say, that I left the hotel without notifying them. This is not true and nonsense and somebody must be lying. We notified the hotel. We used the hotel bus back to the airport. I asked the hotel to store the scooter I had hired until the company would come to collect it. The hotel reception staff helped us to book my return flight to Gatwick. We are very surprised and disappointed at this mean-minded attitude from an otherwise excellent hotel. I am connected with the 60 UK MS Therapy Centres and will advise our many hundreds of members about this unfortunate experience at the Grand Hotel Reykyavik.

Christopher Fox-Walker

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Palmetto, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

We liked this hotel....it was a great lobby for gathering at the end of the day with a nice bar available for drinks. Food was very good, both the breakfast and dinner buffets as well as the bistro sandwiches.. We had Fun. Staff was pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: I would have preferred to have a room looking outside instead of the Atrium...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

The hotel is beautiful, the rooms are fresh and new, the staff are friendly and as long as you have a vehicle it is easily accessible. If you do not, it is a bit far from the main city centre. Otherwise I have no complaints and I would stay again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Santa Cruz, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

Iceland was our first stop of our three part European vacation. We cannot wait to go back. The Grand Hotel met our needs. The location is not ideal. However, we enjoy walking. So, even in the rain, the walk to downtown was pleasant and easy enough. The hotel lobby was quite nice.
The staff was a little hit or miss. There were 2-3 that were great; the rest ranged from ok to completely clueless (When asked for a recommendation to a restaurant or cafe within walking distance we were directed to a gas station. I am not joking.) The beds were quite small. My husband is 6'5". So, we both could not fit on the bed. The good news is that the couch was quite comfortable. The room did need a bit of updating. Although it was clean and perfectly fine. The bathroom was a definite disappointment; it reminded me of a hospital. There were no amenities. The only separation between the shower and the rest of the bathroom was a basic white plastic curtain; meaning the floor of the shower is the floor of the bathroom. With that said, there was no slope and the drain was slow. So, even after very brief showers we had a slippery lake for a bathroom floor. Also, there were no extra towels. Therefore, we could not mitigate any of the effects. I was also disappointed that we were unable to pick up the wireless network from our room. To the hotel's credit, we were offered a different room for our last night.
However, by then it was not worth it.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Been to Grand Hotel Reykjavik? Share your experiences!