“Pretty nice hotel - with a few quirks” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Hotel Reykjavik

You added BEST WESTERN Hotel Reykjavik to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Hotel Reykjavik
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Raudararstigur 37, Reykjavik 105, Iceland (Formerly Hotel Reykjavik)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 20-30%
Ranked #34 of 51 Hotels in Reykjavik
Toronto, Canada
“Pretty nice hotel - with a few quirks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Had the opportunity to stay in the Best Western Hotel Reykjavik (also known as just “Hotel Reykjavik” to some tour operators – just FYI) during my awesome Iceland visit in July 2012. Overall, for the price I paid, I was fairly satisfied with the hotel although there were a few quirks which may or may not be a dealbreaker for you (discussed below)

Price/booking – I booked my queen room well in advance directly on Best Western’s site for about $350 CDN for 3 nights. My booking was done about 6 months in advance, and although it was a “non-refundable” pre-booking, the company did not charge my credit card until I checked out. Felt that was a fair price to pay for (the somewhat expensive country of) Iceland

Location – Overall the location isn’t too awful, although I would say it is a tad out of the way. However, the good thing about that is you get to walk through some areas/neighbourhoods of Reykjavik you might not have otherwise visited if you were staying in a more central hotel. However, I will say that this hotel is located in a much better location than another hotel I was considering, the Hilton Reykjavik Hotel, which just seemed wayyyyyy too out of the way for someone without a rental car. In the immediate area there are a few decent restaurants, and a pizza joint just a few minute walk away. However, a slightly further walk will take you to a far better choice of places to eat, shopping areas and a few good grocery stores (i.e. Bonus).

Room – Overall, I’d say the room was fairly bland/generic...nothing too exciting or interesting (which isn’t necessarily a bad thing). It was clean, and VERY spacious (as you can see from my pics, the bed was located on a separate floor after climbing a narrow set of stairs). However, I found that to be a bit of a negative since it was a bit boring to go to bed “upstairs” and not have any TV to watch (which was located “downstairs”). Didn’t really like the two level layout much. My main problem with the room was the fact the “upstairs” portion where the bed was located had a huge skylight located right above the bed. Seems cool, except when you remember the sun doesn’t go down in Iceland during the summer...and your room is basked in daylight while you sleep! For some that may not be a problem, but I found that to be really irritating and made it impossible to sleep without a face mask or something. If you’re sensitive to light when you sleep, then try to get a “normal” layout room (which I assume does not have this skylight).

Other than that, the room itself was clean and had just the bare essentials (plus a mini-fridge, which was useful). I was glad to see the room was cleaned well, although it was pretty tired/worn out looking overall...nothing to brag about at all. Nevertheless, you spend very little time in your room (hopefully!) while in Iceland, so it’s not the end of the world. Internet service was decent, although the password seemed to expire every 24 hours so I had to go downstairs and get a new one everyday (a bit annoying); the old-style tube TV had a few basic channels, but didn’t spend too much time watching it so can’t comment on the selection.

Overall pros:
+Great value for your money in general
+Clean and stocked up with the usual toiletries everyday
+Somewhat decent (although not exceptional) location

Overall cons:
-Pretty bland/generic hotel...nothing too memorable
-Layout (with skylight and second floor bed) was not that great

Overall, for the money I paid for this hotel, I had no complaints. However, I know that the prices do fluctuate depending on when you book and all that, so if you end up paying more than 100 euros/night for this hotel, I would probably suggest looking around at some other properties. If you can snag a decent rate (like I did), then I would say go ahead and book the hotel – especially since you won’t be spending too much time in your room. Enjoy Iceland!

Room Tip: Try not to get the "castle style" rooms (as seen in my pics)
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Oli-Freyr, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hotel Reykjavik, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Good day,

Thank you for this review regarding your recent stay at our property.

Thank you again very much!

Best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Very friendly staff. Went above and beyond what one expects from front desk staff. At times, felt front desk was making a commission from sending us on certain tours or restaurants, but everything suggested was great.

Rooms were smaller than imagined for the price, however.

Issues with the hotel: They did not have a room with two beds upon checking even though we called the day before to confirm. The next day they made us wait two hours in the morning to switch rooms. The fridge in the new room did not work and they refused to fix it. Also, the one English channel didn't have sound and again we were told there was nothing they could do. So all in all, average hotel.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Aberdeen, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Stayed a week in a single room at the Best Western Reykjavik. The room was suitably basic considering what we had spent, yet had enough luxury for me to feel it was great value for money.

I had a beautiful balcony, a nice bathroom, a very comfortable bed and enough room to move about. Breakfast every morning was lovely and the hotel is in a fantastic location for Reykjavik's town centre.

All the excursions we went on picked us up and dropped us off and the reception staff were really helpful.

My only gripe was with how poor the wifi was. I spent way too much time trying desperately to get onto wifi to speak to my partner!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Huddersfield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Excellent hotel within walking distance of the shopping centre. We choose here as it's out of thecentre & quiet. This is our 3rd stay and the staff are friendly & helpful. Nothing is too muchtrouble for them. The rooms are clean & tidy, at the end of the day it's somewhere to sleep!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
New forest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

This hotel is a good mid-priced hotel in central Reykjavik. The rooms are of a good size, we had a pleasant 2 floored family room, and there is an excellent buffet breakfast. it is possible to walk to the city centre from the hotel. The resturant next door serves a really excellent pizza, and is higly recommended.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Location:
Not "very" close to the city centre, but not far from there. This hotel has a car park, so is good for self-drive travellers as well. A small shop is 5 minutes walk. There are two Italian restaurants near the hotel and but neither of them were good...

Room:
I got a smoking room, so my review about the room itself might not be very helpful as I guess non-smoking rooms would be better. My room was double, the size was standard but very dark to me, and what was worse, one of the lights could not be on. Housekeeping seemed to be very lazy and never filled up the amenities.

Bathroom:
Water stinking. I really did not want to have a shower. I think it was water, not the shower handle. If it was the water tank then all other rooms, at least those using the same water tank, should have the same problem. My room was smoking, but it was certainly not the smell of cigarette! Housekeeping and water made me rate low marks. Otherwise I would give more marks.

Staff:
Very helpful. Especially a lady - I forgot to ask her name! Even a guy from a car rental company via which the staff got me a car was friendly. I talked to three people at the reception but all of them were helpful. But not housekeepers!

Internet:
Included in the price. Never had a problem.

Recommend?:
If you are sensitive or have a baby, due to the water I would not recommend this hotel unless the water in your room does not smell bad. I liked the staff, including the car rental guy, so I want to stay at this hotel again when I go back to Iceland, which is this winter, but water and housekeeping put me off.... Hope you will get the right room with a hard-working housekeeper.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Oli-Freyr, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hotel Reykjavik, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
Dear Junko,

I would like to thank you for your review.

I sorry to hear that we were not able to meet your expectation and I can assure you that I will use your review as a tool to educate my staff so that we will not have this problem again.

About the the bathroom smell,
visitors to Iceland often ask why the hot water smells of rotten eggs. This is because the hot and cold water come from two different sources. It is true that the hot water sometimes smells of sulfur, which is due to the geothermal origins of the hot water, making it excellent for bathing and to tell you the truth Icelanders cant even smell anything. :-)

Best regards

Ólafur Freyr Ólafsson
Sussex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

We chose this hotel as it was just outside the town centre which can be very noisy at night especially at weekends. Parking can also be a problem with hotels within the city centre, and
this hotel has off street garage parking. It is about a 5 minute walk to the shops and another 5 to the main centre.
We had a corner room which was huge and very comfortable. Breakfast is included in the rate and they provided us with early breakfast as we had to leave by 5.30am to the airport.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room if you want lots of space.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN Hotel Reykjavik? Share your experiences!