“Frosti John - The Best Touring Experience in Iceland!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Solstice Tours is your key to traveling in Iceland on your own terms, be it during the Winter, in the Summer – or at Solstice. Do you feel like being more flexible and going with the flow? We make the trip personal and to suit your interest. Do you want to see something more out of the ordinary? If a pre-organized package tour is not exactly what you're after, your option is having Solstice Tours design your own adventure
Orlando, Florida
30 attraction reviews
“Frosti John - The Best Touring Experience in Iceland!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Jon (the owner of Solstice Private Tours - born and raised in Iceland) is one of the best tour guides that my wife and I have ever used in my 30+ years extensive foreign travel. My wife and I did 3 days of tours with Soltice Private Tours including the Northern Lights on two nights, the Golden Aurora Circle and the South Shore. All of them were excellent tours because Jon took personal interest in each of the tours, speaks excellent English and was very enthusiastic about showing off his country to us. He did a lot of extra in his tours making it even more special. For example, he included a city tour, took us and joined us for dinner at a renowned Lobster place to eat, spent time with us feeding Icelandic Horses and was very patient throughout the tours to include what we wanted to do and the time we needed to visit the sites. I can't imagine anyone giving the quality of tours that Jon gives in Iceland and would suggest anyone looking for a small group to tour, Don't look furhter,Solstice Private Tours is your answer.

Visited October 2012

Berlin, Germany
“Iceland with Jon Frosti”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We (two Berlin families) spent 8 days in Iceland this year. Kicking off our stay with the participation in the Reykjavik Halfmarathon/10km run and the culture festival we then set off to a very efficient and memorable 4 day-tour with Jon Frosti which focussed on the South and West of Iceland with its scenic highlights (Snaefellses peninsula,Golden Circle- Vatnajökul and Jökulsarlon to name but a few). Because of the time constraints it had to be a bit of a challenging trip but Jon always managed to squeeze in some nice stops during the mostly 10-12 hours day trips so that we could enjoy and discuss the sites when had passed. Jon took us also a bit into "nowhere" (especially in the South) where he also could demonstrate his skill as a good driver of his SUV when negotiating tricky rivulets and narrow roads.
His expert knowledge of Iceland and command of the English language contributed to the excellent impression of this trip and we can only highly recommend Jon Frosti Solstice especially for small groups (say 4 people) as the flexibility will add to value of such a trip which is a bit on the upper scale costwise but worth the money by all means.

Visited August 2012
Melbourne, Australia
“Frosti Jon - Bringing Iceland dreams to life! Part II”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I was with the previous reviewer (Rhys25) and wanted to add additional feedback - I'd give Jon six stars if I could.
The tour is very much tailored to what you want to do/see and your capabilities. I felt you could cram as much in as you were willing. When we originally approached Jon, we were thinking glacier lagoon and then golden circle as two separate day trips but Jon advised it was best to do as an overnight trip. I'm so glad we took his advice with our experience seeing the northern lights dance!! Jon was more than happy to share his brilliant photos he took of the northern lights performing (attached). Also really appreciated the local music played on the longer haul trips.
Thanks Jon
Jacinta

Melbourne, Australia
16 attraction reviews
“Frosti Jon - Bringing Iceland dreams to life!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I recently spend a week in Iceland with my partner and a friend. We booked Jon Frosti’s Solstice Private Tours for airport transfers via the blue lagoon and also a private overnight tour to the glacier lagoon after much trying with other tour companies. Job was always prompt to reply to our emails and was able to assist us in working out a package that met all our needs. Jon was waiting with a little sign with our name on it, at the airport. We had organised for Jon to take us via the blue lagoon to the apartment we were staying in, to our amazement the touring with Jon started straight off the plane. We went via a couple of light houses and also to “the bridge between the continents” plus some other interesting sights on route. After the blue lagoon, Jon drove us through town to allow us to orient ourselves before dropping us off. We had a couple of days in Reykjavik before meeting up with Jon again at 8am for our overnight adventure. Jon took us off the beaten path to see some of his favourite places in the south of Iceland, we met Icelandic horse, saw the changing dramatic landscapes, exciting waterfalls and amazing views, all from the comfort of our private tour van. Jon stopped often at interesting sites and always had a great little place to stop at food times. It was a very long drive to get to the glacier lagoon, however with prior advice from Jon we were all set with pillows, snacks and drinks to make the journey more comfortable. All the seats in the van recline, the audio system is fantastic with Jon talking via a microphone when there were points to note. We arrived around 8pm at the Hof hotel and were promptly greeted with wish of northern lights. The lights were amazing as they came up over the hill behind the Hof hotel. We were so excited as this was one of our most wanted to see sights in Iceland... Not only did the light appear, just as ordered but Jon was there to capture the moment with his camera (which did a far better job than anything we were able to capture with our automatic digital cam). Jon was so excited to see the lights it seemed, perhaps even more excited than we were, believe it or not! With all the excitement Jon decided that the only thing to do was to jump in the car and head to the Glacier Lagoon, only a short drive from Hof hotel to see more of the lights and capture some photos with the lagoon and lights. We jumped in the car at about 10pm and returned to the hotel at about 11.30pm. During the drive and the time at the lagoon the lights really put on a show.. we saw all colours as the lights danced across the sky, Jon all the time taking photos both of us and the lights in all their splendour. The next morning we were up and on the road by 9am, we headed to the Glacier Lagoon in daylight for a boat tour, which is not to be missed. When then made our way back to Reykjavik via the town of Vik, and many other attractions along the “golden circle route”. We arrived back home to our accommodation at about 8pm that night making for another huge day of travel and sights all not to be missed. The last stop along the way at the historical heart of Iceland, including throwing a coin into a wishing pool made for the end to an unimaginable experience. Jon collected us promptly on our last day in Iceland to return us to the airport, he even gave us a little gift from the chocolate shop in town as a memento of our stay. I would really recommend Jon to anyone going to Iceland, Jon was able to tailor our tour to all of our personal requests and was fantastic to spend time with while in this amazing place. Jon has near perfect English and a great understanding of Iceland, its culture and history. Jon scores so far above 5/5 in my experience and is for me Iceland’s number 1 tour guide/ photographer! Thanks Jon for a super trip to you fantastic country.

Maryland
5 attraction reviews
“Completely unsatisfactory booking experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I first contacted Jon at Solstice Tours on 17 March 2012 to set up two days of tours for September 2012. In my first email I clearly stated we wanted airport transfers on 10 and 13 Sept and tours on 11 and 12 Sept. Jon first confirmed airport pick up on 11 Sept, and tours on 12 and 13 Sept, but could not confirm the return to the airport.

After eventually getting the dates correct, on 29 March Jon confirmed pick up on the 10th, tours on the 11th and 12th.

On 15 June I again contacted Jon to request a change in one of our tours. When he responded on 19 June he stated he would be able to do airport transfers on 10 and 13 Sept, and tours on 11 and 12 Sept.

On 17 Aug I emailed Jon to reconfirm our arrangements. He informed me that he would only be able to pick us up at the airport and do a tour on the 11th. He was unavailable for the 12th and 13th. This was the first time I had heard from Jon that he was changing our previously-agreed schedule. After I expressed my surprise at the change in plans, Jon said he had cancelled our less expensive tour in favor of a more expensive private tour for another group.

I responded that, if we had known there was an issue, we would have changed to a private tour. Jon answered that if we were willing to pay the private guide price that he would stick with the original plan and find someone else to do the replacement tour for the other people. He also said he was available on the 13th to take us to the airport.

At that point I cancelled all our arrangements with Jon and booked with another, more reliable, private guide who does not cherry pick his clients nor change arrangements without first informing his clients.

Visited September 2012
SolsticeTours, Owner at Solstice Private Tours, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear Trip Advisor reader
This is really a much simpler incident than the client describes. There was a double booking that day and we contacted the client to tell her that. We apologized and offered to redirect her booking to another tour operator. The client, however, did not give us any room to do that. Again, we apologize for the double booking - we are a small company and our biggest asset is our name and good reputation.
Sincerely