“Great Stay at Hotel Holt” 4 of 5 stars

Announcement
Live chat with our team
Ranked #11 of 46 hotels in Reykjavik
Burlington, Connecticut
“Great Stay at Hotel Holt”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We only stayed two nights at this Hotel on our first and last days of our vacation to Iceland and we really enjoyed our stay. Both rooms were clean and comfortable, and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The Icelandic art that decorate the hotel is incredibly interesting - there are all kinds of artistic genres and its like visiting and art gallery within the hotel.

We did not eat at the restaurant or have breakfast at the hotel, so I cannot comment about the food. However, I appreciated the convenience of having a restaurant/bar and breakfast available on site.

The location is on a residential street a couple blocks off the main shopping area of Reykjavik. It is very convenient to many restaurants, bars, shops, tourist attractions and an amazing bakery about a block away. I liked being in a residential area as it was quieter than the main road. It was a great spot to sightsee around Reykjavik! Plus, if you have a rental car, there is parking available too.

My first night, I did have a complaint about my room. I had reserved a double bed and was given a room with two twin beds just pushed together (not even a double bed mattress pad covering the the two beds. ) I called the front desk and some discussion they changed my room to what I had reserved. On my next stay at the end of the week, I was upgraded to a suite with a lovely view of the downtown area. I had also forgotten my adapter plug in my room the first night and they found it and returned it to me on my next stay. Excellent customer service!

Overall, I think Hotel Holt is a great place to stay in Reykjavik and I would definitely stay here again on our next visit to the city.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Valsson, Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear 13Narya.

Thank you for the kind words. I am glad you enjoyed the stay with us. Being a "Top Contributor" on Tripadvisor makes this high praise indeed.

We certainly need to consider getting a mattress to join the two beds together as you suggest. This did not used to be a problem but it has been made easier for us by advances in design so I will definitely look to make things easier this way for our guests.

I hope to see you again in Reykjavík very soon.

406 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Just spent 4 nights last weekend at Hotel Holt in Reykjavik. What a magnificent weekend. Iceland is Iceland - and by that - I mean AMAZING. So much to see and do. But where you stay can be important too. I was at the Hotel Holt because of the price and the great reviews. This stay was definitely worth every penny. The hotel is in a perfect location. Located about a 3-5 minute walk from the main shopping street, it is situation sort of in the middle of everything. But it is on a side neighbourhood street - and I loved it for this - made me feel more 'local.' The hotel itself is very comfortable. I had a single room in the back and it had everything I needed - extremely clean bathroom, comfortable bed, desk and tv, and of course free high speed internet. I only stay in hotels that offer free internet. The room is not what I would call small - I call them European size - they are perfectly comfortable. Of course I only was in my room and it was a perfect size. I like the feel of the hotel with the dark woods, the leather couches in the foyer and the artwork. But what really makes this hotel stand out are the staff. WOW! I cannot commend them more for being super friendly and yet professional. I really felt like a guest in someone's home. It was the friendliness and willingness to help of the staff that gave me an amazing impression of iceland. To top it off, whilst booking I was able to chat live online with the Manager and he answered all of my queries.

I am now planning on taking a group of colleagues to Iceland in the spring and Hotel Hot is my first choice!

I highly recommend Hotel Holt and all the staff there!

Room Tip: My room was in the back with 2 windows. It was perfect. The front street is quite quiet so I assum...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dear CurtisMan.

Thank you for the lovely review of your stay. I am glad we were able to assist you before during and now after your stay. We love staying in touch with our guests outside of the times they stay with us.

I am delighted to see you enjoyed the local feel of staying with us and our team is always looking out for how to make each guest´s stay unique for them. We agree that charging for Wi-Fi should be classified as a breach of human rights :)

I look forward to welcoming you and your group again in the spring.

San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Hotel Holt was in a lovely, peaceful neighborhood very close to the main shopping road.

The lobby is old world style décor and very classic and dark - appealing to an older crowd.

The staff was very, very nice and incredibly helpful.

Why I gave this hotel an "average" is because I paid A LOT of money for this hotel and my room didn't seem like it had changed since the 1950's. I had a lot of space but the carpet was very old as was the tv and furniture so it never felt clean, which was a bummer.

The hallways needed repainting as well, the carpet replaced. Again, for the price of this place, I would have expected more upkeep.

As well, I was not told that breakfast wasn't included. My fault for not asking, I take that blame but it would have been nice to have been informed of the charge during check in - I was not and paid handsomely for not such a special breakfast (eggs, bacon, toast, cheese, fruit, cereal). Could have had much better and cheaper in town.

I would not stay here again as I changed hotels and found something cleaner, more updated and cheaper not too far away.

Room Tip: Ask for a modern, updated room if you want to feel your room was cleaned. My room had dirty, old ca...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dear DavisEM.

Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed our passionate guest service and their efforts. Of course, I am disappointed to see that you found the room lacking. Not all our rooms have been renovated recently but the oldest rooms were completely renovated in 1993 so some way off your 50´s mark :)

However, the TV´s were updated 2 years ago so I am not sure what you mean with that part and our carpets and all areas are kept extra clean by our maintenance team, especially to compensate for the rooms looking slightly dated. I am sorry you were not able to fully enjoy that part.

In regards to breakfast, I must protest. You will not find a hotel in any city that goes out of it´s way to show you what is NOT included. There has to be some accountability by the guest in those matters. On most channels, you can choose if you would like to book a rate with or without breakfast. That would imply that there is a choice ahead of time as there is for those who decide against booking with breakfast ahead of time. You can certainly find cheaper breakfast as you can find cheaper accommodation but we are proud of the quality we are serving on both fronts and find that most our guests agree with the pricing.

Of course I hope we will have our renovations finished by the time you visit Reykjavík next time but I have a feeling you would be more comfortable at a more modern looking hotel as you point out. Thank you for staying with us regardless and we´ll put your pointers to good use.

Karmsund
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Holt three nights on a short breakaway holiday. We flew in with SAS from Oslo, and after a nice 2 hour and 45 minutes flight we were met by a friendly receptionist that effectively checked us in to three single rooms. She also gave us some basic information about the hotel and a card with the login information to the wifi.

First of all; the service in this hotel was very good from all the staff we were in contact with, that’s it.

The rooms had a decent size and had a well-equipped minibar, a good choice of coffee and tea, a really good bed and a well-functioning wifi. The room was kept very clean as well. The bathroom was a little bit small but this one was also kept very clean. Included here there were some creams/lotions and they actuall gave me some toothpaste on the second day even though I hadn’t asked for it (and yes I had my own toothpaste there as well).

Breakfast was also good, even though it did not give you the largest selection of thing to choose from. Anyway everything they did have available was nicely prepared and tasted good. There was also a friendly atmosphere during breakfast.

The interior of the hotel is quite dark as nearly all the walls are brown mahogany or some other kind of wood material. But I liked it as it gives a certain cozy atmosphere.

The location of the hotel is good and central, at the same time it seems to be located in a very quiet neighborhood.

The restaurant in the hotel was very good when we ate tyhere the last day of our visit, and there is also a cozy bar behind the front desk.

I would very much like to stay here again on my next visit to Iceland.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Vibran.

Thank you for the detailed review and lovely words about our staff and services. We love to see people enjoy staying with us for those reasons. I am glad you were able to enjoy our Gallery Restaurant. I am sure the restaurant team would be very happy if you have a couple of minutes to write a separate review for them but I will be sure to pass on your praises either way.

I hope to see you again soon in Reykjavík.

White Plains, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

My friends and I stayed at this hotel for about 3 nights. The hotel is really nice. Rooms are small but it didn't matter. The people at the front desk were very nice and accommodating. I asked for ice and it was at my room in a few minutes. The only thing was the hot water. But this wasnt just this hotel it was all hotels that i came to know. The water smells like sulfur. We couldnt handle that part of it. Other than that this hotel is a prefect place to stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Alvin A.

Love your photo by the way. Thank you for the glowing review of our services. It´s true with the hot water. It´s geothermal which means the sulfur smell will always be there. Something uniquely Icelandic and thankfully not uniquely Hotel Holt :)

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Worcester, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

My wife and I spent two nights in Iceland. We did not know what to expect. From the time the shuttle left us off at the hotel, we knew we picked the right place. The staff was phenomenal. The hotel is in the perfect downtown location. We could walk everywhere. I noticed a previous comment that said it was not luxurious. It was spotless and maybe it was not luxurious but the service was definitely 5 diamond. I was in France at a luxurious hotel but I felt like the staff was doing me a favor whenever I asked for something. Not at the Hotel Holt, they enjoyed doing things for the guests.

I have already recommended this hotel to everyone that I have spoken to.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear MarkWorcesterMA.

Phenomenal? Wow! That is high praise indeed. Thank you for sharing your happiness with the rest of the Tripadvisor community. I am delighted you found our guest service team to be enjoying their work. With guests like you, how could they not?

I look forward to welcoming you to Hotel Holt again in the near future.

Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Firstly the hotel and its art and total ambience is refreshing. The stark and sterile modern hotels have nothing on similar types of hotel like the Holt. My wife and I found the hotel terrific. The staff were great and very helpful. The restaurant serves exceptional food with a superb, extensive wine list to match. Our room was a suite and was of a good size. It was comfortable, clean and gave us what we wanted from a hotel room especially after spending 17 days driving around Iceland and staying in a wide variety of accommodation. Breakfast was good and we enjoyed the offerings. The walk to main street and other areas is ok. Nothing to get upset about. Its a walk. That's what we have legs for -walking. There is only one negative - street and aircraft noise. The hotel is on a busy street. Car noise WILL be a problem for light sleepers. The occasional aircraft landing can also be a problem. We stayed for 2 days, if we were staying longer then we would have asked for a rear facing room. Other than that the hotel is very good and worthy of consideration.

Room Tip: Ask for a rear facing room - and enjoy.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Valsson, Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear Ausman57.

Thank you very much for the great words of encouragement. We love it when our guests share our view on being slightly unique. I am especially glad you were able to enjoy the restaurant during your. I know the team at Gallery Restaurant would be very grateful if you had the time to give them a separate review but I will be sure to pass on your delight to them regardless.

In regards to the street noise, that is regrettable. I would have been happy to move you to the back of the house for a sounder sleep experience. We have been getting more traffic with more tourists in our street and the city as a whole but we still maintain our street is the most quiet in the downtown area for a hotel. I will reiterate with the housekeeping department that we need to have the room at a temperature when you arrive that does not force you to keep your windows open. I don´t expect to be a problem moving into winter, though ;).

I hope to see you again at Hotel Holt soon and wish you a pleasant winter in Australia.
Snorri

Been to Hotel Holt? Share your experiences!