“Nice Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 47 hotels in Reykjavik
Bermuda
“Nice Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Only had a 24 hour layover in Iceland in June and picked this hotel based on Tripadvisor comments. It was very nice - got the bus into Reykjavik from airport and then they transfer you to a smaller bus to get you to your hotel. Unfortunately there was construction going on and they closed the lane so I had to walk a little bit with my bag to get to the hotel. Overall the hotel was fine, staff were friendly and very helpful. Breakfast was OK - I don't eat meat so was limited to toast and yogurt so probably did not get value for my dollar but it was convienient as I did not want to waste time wandering around for someplace to eat. My one comment is take a sleeping mask if you are going to be there in the summer - when I was there they had 22 hours of light and the hotel does not have dark-out curtains.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear Rose P.

Thank you for reviewing our hotel and sharing your thoughts, especially since you decided on us based on what other reviewers were saying. The city of Reykjavík has been doing construction all over town without consulting with us or the Airport buses, which is very unfortunate. We are trying to collaborate more with them to organise this better for the future.

In regards to the curtains, they certainly are fitted to block out the sun but this can never be done completely without adding a layer of blinds as well. But due to your comment, we will have sleep masks available in the hotel from now on for our guests to enjoy. Thank you again!

410 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Tonbridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

My wife and I, with our two teenage sons, stayed at the Hotel Holt in early July. It's fine. The staff are excellent, the rooms we had were big - especially on the road-side; 406 was great - clean and well appointed. The Hotel is 5 mins walk from the main shopping/dining street, Laugavegur; 10 mins from the harbour where the whale and puffin tours are based.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Mikey_B
I am glad you and your family enjoyed the stay with us. I notice that you also reviewed the Hallgrimskirkja Church Tower. I hope you took advantage of the free access to the tower, all our guests get.

We hope to see you and the family again at Hotel Holt soon.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

When I first learned of Hotel Holt, a few locals had told me it wasn't modern as if that was important criteria for defining the excellence of a hotel. How's this for how wrong they were: Let's start with efficiency! I stay at modern and updated hotels all the time and things are often far from efficient. At Hotel Holt, they had power strips on the floors near the TV and the desk and for the first time, I was able to plug in all my devices without my own power extender...and I mean all my devices: two phones, laptop, iPad, my camera charger, the list goes on.

The fact that it isn't modern is precisely what makes Hotel Holt so charming. You feel in some ways as if you're inside old England within its walls. Leather couches, massive impressive paintings (btw, they tout the largest independent collection of art in Iceland), side rooms where you can meet in groups, a piano, and a large lobby where you can connect online if you didn't bring your own PC.

Unlike other hotels that all had bare floors, Hotel Holt is carpeted. I'm a huge fan of hardwood floors btw, but when you're traveling to a colder country AND you're in a hotel, carpeting means: warmth below your feet after coming back from a long day and less noise from the rooms above and below you (key).

I'd recommend one of the junior suites and ask for a view of the street (if you can get one) since they have little balconies you can walk out on. At first, I didn't see this as a big deal but if you're there during summer (think Midnight sun), the distant views of that awe-inspiring sun will bowl you over.

They have tea kettles in the rooms, local calls are free and if you can't figure out the plan of action for the day or week on your own, their staff is knowledgeable and beyond warm and friendly. Over the course of my stay, I can honestly say I felt like I was leaving family behind when I headed out. The entire team is so warm and generous! I will be doing a write-up about it on our site at some juncture in July - www.weblogtheworld.com so check it out if you want full blown photos and more. It will be under Lodging and Iceland.

Disclosure note: I was hosted during my stay and am a travel writer but I can assure you that all opinions expressed here are my own. Let's put it this way. It's the first time I've ever felt so compelled to write a Trip Advisor review on a hotel. They have never asked me to write anything nor paid me in any way NOR would I do so.

Room Tip: Get a junior suite facing the street if it is available. Book well in advance. Eat at their fabulous...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear Renee.

What can we say? We´re blushing! I am so glad you enjoyed everything we have to offer in the manner it is supposed to be enjoyed. We loved having you and look forward to having you again for the Northern Lights in winter sometime.

Thanks again and warm regards from the whole family at Hótel Holt,
Lancaster UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Hotel Holt

The hotel was chosen by my long standing travel agent so I anticipated no problems with this trusted destination. The day prior to our departure I was able to ‘talk’ instantly via e-mail to the hotel prior to our arrival; surprisingly it was the hotel manager who answered my call. I questioned the facilities available of organising trips whilst in Iceland and was directed to <SuperJeep.is> travel to organise things. No problem with communicating instantly with this company who were pro-active in engaging their services directly and payment was effected only on the day of our trip (being picked up from the hotel). I would thoroughly recommend the Golden Circle trip (lasted almost 11 hours!).

I also mentioned to the hotel manager that we would be arriving early am and he was able to ‘block’ the booked room with 80 % certainty so that we were able to book in and register immediately upon arrival to be shown to our allocated room. Peace of mind - and we were therefore not disappointed upon arrival to be sent to our room to decant our stuff without delay.
This gave us adequate time to leave the hotel and walk to the centre of the city (5 mins walk only) and access the ‘Hop on Hop off’ bus tour in the morning. This is a magnificent way to start the trip and experience the whole locality of the city and to decide where we wished to re-visit on our short (3-day) visit.

Staff there helped with our every query and the stay went very smoothly. The restaurant is obviously very up market (maybe the best in town) but our travel arrangements did not lend to our eating there for we wanted to see the whole area, so we tended to eat in the multiple other eating establishments on offer in the centre.

Negatives? Possibly - for we had to leave at 6 am the following day before breakfast was available so we asked (at 7 pm) the preceding evening for a sandwich or similar to set us on our way. We were advised (rather frostily) to return to the Reception desk after 8 pm (night staff on duty), which we duly did on our return to the hotel only to be told that ‘the chef had left’! Standing firm we pointed out that we had pre-paid for 3 nights with B&B and wished for some consideration of this. ‘OK’ we were advised; we could have a snack breakfast for an extra 1000 Krona each.” Not good enough” we said and eventually settled for accepting ‘something’ to set us up for our travel home. We were very pleasantly surprised to find a selection of beverages (hot & cold) at Reception and to receive a packed ‘club sandwich’ for our journey. Excellent fare eaten at the airport (pre-booked transport) prior to departure.

So the hotel lived up to its excellent reputation as being caring and thoughtful, only available in such a first class establishment but the necessity to stand firm was not, as anticipated. Thanks to those who acted on our behalf and saved such reputation!

Do take the Hop on Hop off trip early in your stay in Reykjavik , do take a trip or two to the magnificent and varied sites in the vicinity (or further afield) whether via a minibus trip (which we enjoyed hugely) or fantastic ‘Superjeep’, which we enjoyed immensely and of course take a camera to record the varied terrain and sites!

The hotel is placed in an excellent situation and be brave, the whole experience was awesome!

Room Tip: I do not think there is any tip to give, little to choose I think - but I suggest booking B&B.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear filemanLancasterUK.

Thank you so much for the glowing words about your experience. I have nothing to add to that.
The matter of the breakfast was simply a matter of luck. We had some extra sandwiches from a group that had ordered and paid for them.

I take slight exception to it when guests who have booked B&B on the basis of there being a buffet from 7am-10am expect to have a specially packed meal outside of those hours. We do have coffee, juice and biscuits for early departures, free of charge, but packing a meal for you, costs the kitchen extra work and is totally different from accessing a buffet with serivce in the breakfast area. You don´t get a ticket to a concert and show up before it starts, expecting the band to start playing. This is the same thing for us. Those who read my replies to reviews will find that I am usually understanding and adjust to what guests would like but in these instances, there is nothing I can do. So we will stand firm on that in future and we will have to agree to disagree on the merrits of that.

I do hope to see you again at Hotel Holt soon.

Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

My wife and I stayed in Room 413 for three nights in June 2013. I was told by the desk clerk upon check in that Room 413 "is the nicest suite in the hotel." If that is true, this is truly an overrated hotel, and I believe I paid a room rate for a 4 star hotel when the actual hotel is a clean 2 star hotel. The decor of the hotel is tired and worn, and the exterior is ugly. It needs to be gutted and remodeled. The rooms have maroon early 1980s carpet and maroon very worn leather sofas, with early 1980s brass lamps. This may have been a stylish place in 1980. It is not in 2013. The hotel is clean, and the staff was generally helpful. But we tried to have a drink in the bar one evening and were ignored for 15 minutes by unfriendly bar staff and finally left without a drink. The included breakfast is adequate but the room in which one has breakfast has a whole bunch of big tables in it, and is physically difficult to manuever in. The location of the hotel is good, on the edge of central Reykjavik and one can walk to most sites. But most hotels in central Reykjavik are walking distance to the sites. I will definately not stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Valsson, Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Coloradoperson.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your stay. I am sure it is valuable to all future guests to see what we are not offering. We are not offering cool new interior at outrageous rates. We are a family run hotel with a classic interior which is being renovated as we speak on a 3 year plan. I am sure many will agree with you that the #413 suite is dated but others find it comforting to enjoy a space that you might not find elsewhere in the world anymore.

I would say your sentiment about our hotel being a 2 star is very inflated. Besides the decor not being to your liking and us dropping the ball on the bar service on that one particular night you mention, you would not receive comparable service or value in any 2 or 3 star hotel in Iceland.

I thank you for the pointers about the breakfast room. We do find that bigger tables are more conducive to travelers mingling and sharing their ideas of their visit so far. Maybe that should be more clearly stipulated and we will look into that.

Thank you again and hopefully you will enjoy your next visit to Reykjavík better elsewhere.
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We stayed here for two nights in Iceland. Nice, clean rooms; good location; staff at the front desk were very friendly and helpful (they even shipped a large package home for us). The food at the hotel bar was yummy but pricey.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Valsson, Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear J_and_B_in_DC.

Thank you for the short but sweet review. I appreciate you taking the time. The food in the bar is indeed yummy and we´ll be sure to inform the chef that he might want to rethink the price for the next menu as we are all about great value for money :)

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We found this a verycentral hotel. The staff were all very friendly and helpful especially the two girls at reception. They were knowledgable and nothing was too much trouble for them. Our room was very comfortable and clean.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Valsson, Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Anne M.

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review. We are very proud of our receptionists and hope to see you again soon at Hotel Holt.