“Fabulous staff, beautiful scenery and sweet horses!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Islenski Hesturinn, The Icelandic Horse - Riding Tours

Islenski Hesturinn, The Icelandic Horse - Riding Tours
Surtlugotu 3 | Fjarborg, Reykjavik, Iceland (Háaleiti)
+354 434 7979
Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: The horse rental in Reykjavík, Iceland. Small family firm with personal service.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage
Cleveland, Ohio
“Fabulous staff, beautiful scenery and sweet horses!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We had a fantastic time on our tour with Begga and her family! Since no one else booked a tour that morning, we essentially had a private tour, which was amazing. Begga's daughters joined us for the ride and were so sweet. You can really tell that this family loves horses, their homeland, and sharing that love with others.

Begga gave us a wonderful history of the Icelandic horse and the best riding directions we've ever received (we've done riding tours many times before). Her enthusiasm is infectious- she's great! This tour was so wonderful because of this family!

The horses were the gentlest and sweetest I've met. My horse, Frayfox (I'm sure that's not spelled correctly) had a little bit of an attitude, but only enough to make the ride a little more interesting- he was a great horse! We really enjoyed the amazing scenery and were sent some truly spectacular photos after we returned home.

Overall- this was a fantastic experience, with no complaints! Definitely go on this tour if you are lucky enough to visit Iceland!

• Polish first
Pennsylvania, United States
“Fantastic Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I had never ridden a horse before, but my girlfriend loves them, so we decided to book a riding tour. Due to my complete lack of experience, I was a bit nervous beforehand, but I shouldn't have worried. Begga's enthusiasm is infectious, and she and her staff make sure everyone knows what they need to know to be safe and comfortable.

Begga asked each one of us about our riding experience, or lack thereof, and picked horses to suit each person. A few people in our group had worn somewhat less-than-adequate clothing for the weather (rainy, windy, 45º F) and we were all offered rainjackets, waterproof pants, boots, gloves, and ear warmers.

All of the horses were incredibly well-behaved, and there was absolutely no snappiness or skittishness from any of them. The ride itself was excellent; we saw plenty of interesting rock formations, pseudocraters, and got to experience the wonderfully smooth tolt gait. Begga and Inge were great guides, and gave knowledgable answers to all the questions we had about the horses, the area we were seeing, and Iceland overall.

If we ever make it back to Reykjavik, I can say with confidence that we will look to book another tour with Islenski Hesturinn.

Chicago, Illinois
12 attraction reviews
“and I don't even like horses!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

At the request of my wife, my 12 year old son and I took the 90 minute tour with Islenski. I should start by telling you that I love all animals except horses .... just not my thing. In spite of that perspective, this tour was EXCELLENT! The tour guide (Inga) was fantastic, the team was fantastic and the tour was a great view of lava fields .... all within minutes of dowtown Reykjavic. My 12 year old, who has never been on a horse, also loved it. The Islenski team was great. The took pictures and are apparently emailing the link to us within two weeks. WHAT? No upsell on the pictures??? I have been to Iceland no less than 7 times (have family there) and I am telling you - this place is a gem!

Saudi Arabia
11 attraction reviews
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I went riding today, and what awesome experience it was. Begga and Inga were so kind toward riders and horses, and one can see they are professional, they know what they do.
Stables and horses were very well looked after. Very good introduction was given to us new riders, and all this accompanied with good humor and fun. I could not wait to meet the horses.
This was my first time riding Icelandic horse. All went very well, the ride was amazing, horses happy and responsive and I felt safe at all times. Tölt, one of the nicest gaits, did not disappoint. It was most comfortable.
I was collected from the hotel in Reykjavik and drop off was same- interesting to see some parts of Reykjavik (we passed by Kringlan, the shopping center, more shopping for me).
I would definitely recommend Islenski Hesturinn for everyone, from beginners to more advanced riders.

Phoenix, Arizona, United States
9 attraction reviews
“Best Riding Experience Ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I love horses and ride whenever I get a chance. While traveling through Iceland, we had to check out the Tolt that everyone raves about. My husband booked our reservation with this particular tour and I didn't know what to expect. In all my years of riding, I have never seen a stable owner so compassionate and caring about their horses and customers! They take such good care of them and the horses are so happy! Begga has to most wonderful personality and success story and you can really feel her love and compassion. It was an absolute joy and pleasure to ride with her and learn so much about the horses and the area. All the staff shares her compassion. They are easy to talk to, fun and relaxed. I never had so much fun riding as I did with them. They even made time for us to bond with the horses before and after. Absolutely wonderful experience! If you want to go riding in Iceland, this is the place that should be first on your list, so book early so you don't miss out!!! You won't believe how wonderful the tolt is...it was so amazing and smooth! It blew me away!

Visited June 2013