Islenski Hesturinn, The Icelandic Horse - Riding Tours
Surtlugotu 3 | Fjarborg, Reykjavik, Iceland (Háaleiti)
+354 434 7979
Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: The horse rental in Reykjavík, Iceland. Small family firm with personal service.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Saudi Arabia
11 attraction reviews
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I went riding today, and what awesome experience it was. Begga and Inga were so kind toward riders and horses, and one can see they are professional, they know what they do.
Stables and horses were very well looked after. Very good introduction was given to us new riders, and all this accompanied with good humor and fun. I could not wait to meet the horses.
This was my first time riding Icelandic horse. All went very well, the ride was amazing, horses happy and responsive and I felt safe at all times. Tölt, one of the nicest gaits, did not disappoint. It was most comfortable.
I was collected from the hotel in Reykjavik and drop off was same- interesting to see some parts of Reykjavik (we passed by Kringlan, the shopping center, more shopping for me).
I would definitely recommend Islenski Hesturinn for everyone, from beginners to more advanced riders.

• Polish first
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
9 attraction reviews
“Best Riding Experience Ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I love horses and ride whenever I get a chance. While traveling through Iceland, we had to check out the Tolt that everyone raves about. My husband booked our reservation with this particular tour and I didn't know what to expect. In all my years of riding, I have never seen a stable owner so compassionate and caring about their horses and customers! They take such good care of them and the horses are so happy! Begga has to most wonderful personality and success story and you can really feel her love and compassion. It was an absolute joy and pleasure to ride with her and learn so much about the horses and the area. All the staff shares her compassion. They are easy to talk to, fun and relaxed. I never had so much fun riding as I did with them. They even made time for us to bond with the horses before and after. Absolutely wonderful experience! If you want to go riding in Iceland, this is the place that should be first on your list, so book early so you don't miss out!!! You won't believe how wonderful the tolt is...it was so amazing and smooth! It blew me away!

Visited June 2013
San Diego, California
4 attraction reviews
“Perfect Score!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I don't even know where to begin. I wish I could give these people 10,000 stars. This was my mother's first time on a horse. I basically had to force her into it. When we arrived I told Begga (who is freaking amazing) my mom was extremely nervous and she winked. From that point on the staff introduced themselves and talked a little bit about their love for horses. They then had each person in the group tell a little about their horse experience (if any) and what we were/weren't comfortable with. They spent a lot of time on instruction, making it fun and engaging the whole time. Then we were matched up with our horses. We spent time petting them, then sitting on them and riding around the corral a little. Then it was time for the ride. My mother was still terrified so Sveinn rode next to her the entire time keeping her comfortable and offering reassurance. They also talked about the land, plants, and history while riding. Everyone had a FANTASTIC time and my mom is now looking into taking riding lessons (this, from a woman who is terrified of everything)!! This is all because of Inga, Begga, and Sveinn. All three were incredibly informative, helpful, encouraging, and effective. My mother hugged them after. I spent two weeks in Iceland doing all kinds of things. This was BY FAR my favorite. Please take a ride with them!

Ohio
42 attraction reviews
“Just excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I don't think I have anything to add that hasn't been stated by other reviewers, but here it goes. Islenski Hesturinn provides an outstanding three hours of education and adventure. Begga Rist, the proprietor, is caring and energetic. She provides a well managed tutorial regarding the horses, the ride, and safety. She then leads the group (in our case, our family of five along with a single traveler and a husband/wife duo) through a ride of about 1.5 hours along some fairly well-groomed trails. None of the eight members of our group had much previous riding experience, so Begga took extra care to make the ride a gentle one. Following behind us was her assistant, who watched us for any problems and provided gentle pointers on a few occasions.

Begga's husband Sven picked us up at our Reykjavik hotel right on time, and the ride to their stable was no more than 15 minutes. We were returned to the hotel promptly afterwards. Begga provides helmets, gloves, boots (if you want them), etc.

Although we went on the ride during the afternoon in early July (when Iceland has daylight more or less 24 hours a day), Begga tells us that she provides a group ride every day of the year at 9:30 AM. Of course, in mid-winter, the ride is mostly in the dark - but apparently there are some streetlights over parts of the riding trail. Over the course of a year, it seems as though she must cancel fewer than a dozen rides due to weather.

Begga takes a number of photos during the ride, and she e-mails them to the riders later. We have not received ours yet, but we do look forward to seeing them. (She does not charge for this photo service.)

A very strong recommendation for this experience!

“Highlight of our trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Begga and Inga were fantastic. Having no riding experience, I was a little nervous upon arrival but felt completely comfortable after a brief lesson. The horses were so responsive and I thought I was matched well to my horse based on my minimal experience. We had a really fun morning!

Visited June 2013