“Beautiful horses, country and company” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Islenski Hesturinn, The Icelandic Horse - Riding Tours

Islenski Hesturinn, The Icelandic Horse - Riding Tours
Surtlugotu 3 | Fjarborg, Reykjavik, Iceland (Háaleiti)
+354 434 7979
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 257 Activities in Reykjavik
Type: Horseback Riding Stables, Sightseeing Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: The horse rental in Reykjavík, Iceland. Small family firm with personal service.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children
“Beautiful horses, country and company”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011 via mobile

I booked this tour as a very last minute thing when I found myself alone with nothing to do on the Monday. I wasnt sure whether anyone would even get back to me as I sent my email the day before (Sunday) but got a response straight away with all the details.

Begga picked me up first thing and was delightful from the first moment. I had inquired about a spa trip after riding which was mentioned on the website, and she arranged everything for me that morning.

I was the only person to be riding that morning. I couldn't believe she would give up her Monday morning for only one person, but she was so lovely and it was clear from the way she spoke she just loves riding and sharing her beautiful horses with other people.

She took me through everything so I wasn't afraid (I have rarely ridden before). The horses are so incredibly friendly, and fantastic for a novice like me.

It was raining and quite a dull day but let's face it this is Iceland so it didn't matter one bit. The landscape is truly wonderful whatever the weather, and what a way to see it.

After the ride and a chat Begga took me to the spa where I got to relax all afternoon. This part is optional but i would definitely recommend it.

All in all I had a fantastic day, with great hospitality, wonderful conversation and gorgeous horses. Begga told me she felt she was incredibly privileged to do what she does, but the pleasure was all mine.

• Polish first
Mequon, Wi
20 attraction reviews
“Get on an Icelandic horse!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

Saddle up and enjoy the Icelandic horses and their gait! I went with a group and it was a highlight! The place provided outside rain layers-bring boots that don't mind mud or horse poop. I was able to experience the glide of these incredible animals!

Visited October 2011
Drogheda, Ireland
“Fantastic Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

I took Lava Ride and I have to say that was the most exciting experience in my visit to Iceland.

Antwerp
“Great! Also for children.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

We went horse riding with our 6year old daughter and we (parents and child) had no riding experience. So Begga suggested to take a private trip in the afternoon just for the 3 of us. We first had a short explanation and lesson inside the fences and then of we went into the lava fields. Begga was very nice and attentive for our daughter and our daughter LOVED it. As did we! Since it was a private tour, it certainly was not cheap, but we would definitely do it again.

London, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
“Lovely tour and beautiful horses”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

This was a fantastic way to start our short trip to Iceland. Having literally only arrived at our hotel an hour earlier, we had decided the best way to deal with jetlag would be to persevere, so we booked this tour a couple of days in advance and we weren't disappointed.

Begga was a lovely lady and a great guide. She seems to live and breathe Icelandic horses and it's obvious she loves what she does - her enthusiasm is infectious! Before embarking on the ride, she gave us a great talk on the history of the Icelandic horse, told us about their unique character traits and also gave us a quick handling tutorial. I am a fairly experienced rider, but it had been a while since I had been on a horse so the refresher was useful and it interesting to learn of the subtle differences between Iceland and English riding styles. Nothing was rushed and a lot of care was taken to match us up to suitable horses and to tell us about our horse's character. Begga made sure everyone was comfortable and confident before we left the stables.

The ride itself was fantastic. The scenery was so unusal, yet stunning and the rainy weather we experienced didn't spoil anything (we were also provided with waterproof jackets and trousers at the stables - they thought of everything!) The horses were really fun and very good-natured. During the ride, Begga took our photos and emailed these to us the next day - a wonderful touch.

Just want to wish the team the best of luck for the future. They deserve every success!