“What a trip!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Eskimos - Day Tours

Eskimos - Day Tours
Skutuvogur 1b 104, Reykjavik, Iceland (Laugardalur)
+354 414 1500
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #12 of 207 activities in Reykjavik
Type: Tours
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Eskimos Iceland custom-designs itineraries for individuals, small groups and travel agencies. We create experiences based on each traveller's time frame, interests and budget. Our mission is to build your dream trip and saving you the hassle.
Stockport, United Kingdom
“What a trip!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Correspondence from our agent Thora whilst still in the UK was faultless. She really made sure that all my questions were answered, the trips were catered to our needs perfectly and she made the whole booking process so painless. UK agents should take note. We booked 2 mega-trips containing the golden circle tour, glacial hiking and dog-sledding. All of these were wonderful. Glacial hiking is such an experience and ice wall climbing was fantastic. The dog-sledding guys were great and the huskies were adorable. A special shout to Svavar, one of our guides, he had such a wealth of stories, facts, myths and general knowledge it was unreal. Really made our day. Couldn't fault Eskimo travel at all, would use them again for sure, and next time use them for all our Icelandic needs.

Make sure to try the lamb soup at the Golden Waterfall.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
“Waste of time”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I would love to be able to tell you that I had a fantastic time on my dog sledding trip but unfortunately I am not able to as I never actually got to go. Our trip was booked around 4 days in advance but they waited until the day we were due to go to inform us that the guide was sick and so the trip was cancelled. They advised that the guide would be better on Friday ( how amazing they can predict the future!) but as we leave on Friday at 5am, this was of no use to us. The trip was the first thing we booked when we arrived as it was the thing I wanted to do most, so we booked it in for my birthday as a birthday treat (seeing as even the basic package was around £300 for 2 people) but unfortunately we have been let down.
I find it unbelievable that there is only 1 person who can operate this trip and that the whole thing falls apart if they are not well, and looking at some of the other reviews, this is not the first time the trips have been cancelled / moved due to the guide being sick.
All in all I am very disappointed with the service we received.

Visited January 2013
JeanDidierRaoul, Director of Sales at Eskimos - Day Tours, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Hi Yvonne,

Thanks for the feedback. I‘m really sad to read this post, and no need to say that this feeling is shared by the rest of our office. It‘s always good to get customers reviews, good or bad, and we take them very seriously. I just feel that we need to precise a few things for you and for all the future eskimos' guests.

First of all this booking hasn not been handled directly through us since it has been booked through a local booking office, we have never been in contact with you directly until the 10th of january (actually after you posted this request) when you tried to re-book this tour last minute (see below).

Just to let you know how this operation works, we have a guide from Eskimos picking up people and driving/guiding guests to the Dog Sledding camp, where 4 mushers are stationed at now, to take tours and take care of the dogs.

I will just sum up what happened :

Saturday 5th of January : we get the booking request from a local booking office downtown, for a tour on wed. 9th of January at 11:30 and we confirm the tour.

Wednesday 9th of January : we get a phone call around 10:00-10:30 in the morning from the camp, letting us know that the 4 mushers were really ill (I will skip the details). Just so you know there has been an epidemic in Iceland, and having suffered from it myself and 2 other members of my family, I can say that it‘s not a fun thing. You don‘t have to trust me, but this is what happened and we can‘t really predict this kind of things.
We called your accommodation, apartment K, immediately, and they gave us your apartment phone number, which we called, several times, and no answer.
So we called the booking office that booked the tour. We asked for your direct number and first they said they did not have it. 20min later another woman called back letting us know they found it and that they will try to reach you directly, which they must have since we did not hear anything from them after that.
Later that day we received an email (at 16:55 to be exact), from your husband, asking to reschedule. Just so you know our office is closed at 17:00 (we just have an emergency booking number opened until 20:00), and we have loads of email every day, so unfortunately one of our agent saw your email only in the morning the next day, and called our guide list (those that were not already booked that day) to try to get a guide last minute only for you. It works sometimes, but not always and not that day, therefore we could not take you on a tour on the 10th.

Now just to speak about your review / our service :
1. „Our trip was booked around 4 days in advance but they waited until the day we were due to go to inform us that the guide was sick and so the trip was cancelled.“ : we did our best to inform you as soon as we got the information from the camp that the mushers were sick, and tried to reschedule, but once more, we could not speak to you directly... we can‘t really predict this kind of thing
2. „I find it unbelievable that there is only 1 person who can operate this trip and that the whole thing falls apart if they are not well „ There‘s not 1 person that can take the tour, there are 4 musher at now (sometimes more, sometimes less) and we need a licensed driver guide to take you there. When the mushers are sick, then we can‘t definitely operate the dog sledding unfortunately.
3. „and looking at some of the other reviews, this is not the first time the trips have been cancelled / moved due to the guide being sick“: true, it happened only once... still that was a 5* review and the client was really happy.
4. „All in all I am very disappointed with the service we received“ : How can you review our level of service since you haven‘t booked with us directly and we never spoke to you directly?

Yvonne, I think this review is just an impulsive reaction to a big disappointment, which I perfectly understand. But you have to know that this has a direct impact on our business, where quite a few people work, from office persons, to guides, sweating all year, days and nights, week-ends and holidays to give the best experience to guests no matter what happens in our unpredictable island. I really don't think this review belongs here since you did not book with us directly and you can't judge our level of service.

Despite all the above mentioned, I hope you had a nice stay in our beautiful island.

Wish you all the best,

Kind regards,

Jean-Didier RAOUL
London
“Eskimos Day Tours”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

A really helpful nice company to travel with. Good prompt replies from Heidrun to our questions.Our group of 5 did the Golden Circle trip in a private minibus with Svavl, who was an absolute mine of information about the country, geology, history etc. Then we did a super jeep tour with Jonas to Eyjafjalljokull - as well as a great day on lava beaches and across frozen streams, we were introduced to modern Icelandic music. We are already planning our next trip and will definitely use the company again.

Illinois
16 attraction reviews
“Over The Top Support”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I have nothing but good things to say about this tour company. I dealt with Thora via email in planning our tours. She couldn't have been more helpful. Then once we were in country, she kept in contact rearranging tours due to weather conditions. A very professional outfit I highly recommend!

NJ, USA
8 attraction reviews
“Eskimos Dog sledding tour-Great company and good people!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

My husband and I were lucky enough to do the midnight husky tour on 12/8/12. Prior to booking I had some questions and emailed the company. They replied immediately and were very helpful. Booking with them was super easy. I compared them with another dog sledding company offering the tour. We booked with Eskimo’s because they included pick up and drop off from our hotels with their package. Only one other couple was on the tour with us which made it even better. We were picked up on time and our driver could not have been nicer! She was very knowledgeable of all things Iceland and answered any questions we had on a variety of topics from politics to music. Once we arrived at the farm we were suited up and wasted no time heading out. Due to no snow we used a trolley instead but it was just as fun. As we later learned, we went faster than we would have on a sled because we were being pulled by 10 dogs rather than the normal 5 which would be used with a sled. I’m terrible with names so I can’t recall our tour guides name but he was awesome! He told us about each of the dogs and about dog sledding in general. Half way through we stopped and looked for northern lights (unfortunately they were hiding at that time) and got to get pictures with the dogs and pet them. Just by speaking with the guide you know that they truly care about the dogs and their well being and not just about making money. After the tour we got to visit and see the other dogs, including the puppies. Prior to leaving we drank some hot chocolate to further warm up (the suits we were provided were plenty warm). On the way home our guide was nice enough to pull over and we managed to see some northern lights (they were very weak that night). Overall the trip was great! It was something I’ve never done before and to be guided by people who truly love the sport and the dogs makes it even better. I highly recommend this company, you won’t regret it!