“Eat like a viking, feel like a viking.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #52 of 348 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Scandinavian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Cafe Loki offer Icelandic meat soup, Icelandic plate, homemade bread and cakes. Icelandic traditional homemade dishes are our specialty. You can taste fermented shark and dried fish but Icelandic meat soup and our Icelandic plates are most popular among the Rye Ice cream and Skyr cake. Beautiful view over Reykjavik, Hallgrimskirkja church and to mountain Blafjoll. Icelandic food.
Halifax, Nova Scotia
“Eat like a viking, feel like a viking.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I knew once I got to Iceland I had to try the fermented shark and other local delicacies. Cafe Loki provided all the options I needed and the view looking toward the Hallgrímskirkja Church was awesome. The dish included rye breads, dry herring, fermented shark and was a great mix of traditional dishes. The portion size could have been BIGGER, i'm sure the vikings at HUGE meals.

Visited February 2013

• Finnish first
  • Polish first
Sammamish, Washington
“Nice food with a great view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Dropped in for a quick lunch during our city walk. Nice Icelandic specialties, like mashed fish and smoked trout, and their special rye bread ice cream. The view from the window towards the church is great, and it's nice to see the mix of native and tourist clientele. Definitely recommended

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New York City, New York
“Am I an "Icelandic Braveheart"? You better believe it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Of course there are more elaborate restaurants. But here is a little place with HUGE local Icelandic flair. This is the place for the fermented, or rotten shark (hákarl). As I saw Tony Bourdain say this particular item was the single worst thing he ever put in his mouth, I was convinced I wouldn't try it. Well, you never know till you're in the situation, and I ordered the shark. I not only tasted it, but I finished it with no problem (something the waiter said very few people have the ability to do). It reminded me of sardines! I actually had more trouble with the typical accompaniment to rotten shark, which is Brennivin, also known as Black Death. Any vile taste that may have been part of the shark, seems to have been absorbed into that one tiny shot glass!
The only way to cap off such a unique savory is with an equally unique sweet. Gazing at the Hallgrimskirkja, I enjoyed everyone's favorite dessert of rye bread ice cream. All together, I definitely recommend going to Cafe Loki, for one-of-a-kind eats, great views, and a fun and helpful staff. Do it - at least once.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“the perfect start”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We landed in Iceland around 7am and got to Reykjavik around 8. We walked straight to the cathedral and found this little cafe in it's shadow. They open at 9 and will give you the best possible introduction to Icelandic cuisine. It's delicious. Dark rye bread, smokes lamb, mashed fish, smoked trout are all in the sampler plate. Oh, and try the shark!

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bronx, New York
“good introduction to local food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Located near the well-known Hallgrimur Church, the Loki Cafe is a good way to get introduce to the traditional foods of Iceland. The restaurant served platters that consist of different local stuff so one can sample the local foods without ordering a large plate. It's almost like a tapas restaurant with small servings on a large plate. Because of these, we notice that the clientele of the restaurant are tourists like us
Given its diner atmosphere and local foods, one would think the foods are cheap. there were 3 of us, we ordered 2 platters of these food, a bowl of soup and a beer and we paid over $100.

• Visited February 2013