“Surprisingly delicious!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #44 of 323 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: Scandinavian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Cafe Loki offer Icelandic meat soup, Icelandic plate, homemade bread and cakes. Icelandic traditional homemade dishes are our specialty. Beautiful view over Reykjavik, Hallgrimskirkja church and to mountain Blafjoll. Icelandic food.
“Surprisingly delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I don't have much of an adventurous palate, but decided to take one for the team and go and try some traditional Icelandic fare with my husband, who was dying to taste the fermented shark and dried fish. I ordered the meat soup with Loki tea and a shot of Brennavin, which the server told me was flavored with cumin seeds. He also suggested chasing the shark with the Brennavin, which I did. All the food I tried was great! The tea and the Brennavin were FANTASTIC - I'm going back to buy that tea (it's sold in the store and I didn't see it in any other shops we visited). I'm also going to ask them where I can buy a bottle of Brennavin to take home...YUM. Our server was very friendly and helpful, he even suggested a fun museum (the Phallic Museum!!) after our lunch. We'll definitely stop by again before our visit in Iceland ends.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Polish first
London
“Genuine Icelandic fare - but mind out for the shark...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Recommended by the sister-in-law of the owner while on my outward flight, I finally made it up the hill to the splendidly sited Cafe Loki on my third day - a tremendously wet Wednesday where it was definitely best to be inside, looking out as a mighty Atlantic storm passed over.

It's easy to find - just aim for the spaceship being prepared for take-off - I mean, the Hallgrimskirkja - and it's on the right hand edge of the little roundabout road that skirts the site.

When travelling, I make it a policy to eat and drink as much of the local cuisine as I can, and the traditional Icelandic food on offer here was greatly intriguing.

Ask for advice and guidance and it will be sweetly offered by the staff. I opted for the main seafood platter on rye bread, accompanied by strong tea - and a particular alcoholic cordial to go with the piece de resistance - the cubes of fermented shark....

Now - here's a piece of advice, or a test of character.

Everything you see in the picture below was gorgeous and tasty - even the flakes of dried fish that need that butter to mollify the taste.

But those little cubes in the centre of the pic? That's the fermented shark. If you can get through all three, then you've a stronger palate than mine, or perhaps a more numbed one.

I could only take two. But that was well worth it - it made you appreciate the other items even more. And you should try stuff that assaults your senses once in a while.

A genuine Icelandic experience.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Brooklyn, New York
“Rye Bread Surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We were drawn to Cafe Loki by an article that mentioned their Rye Bread ice cream. As a huge rye bread fan (NY Jewish or Scandinavian) I couldn't resist...but it turned out to be far more than a novelty stop.

Their rye bread is more like the Scandinavian dark style, but it's moister and had a definite sweetness, possibly from molasses. It comes on its own with butter, or mashed fish, or lamb pate, and also comes as a side order with the delicious meat soup we chose. Chunks of lamb, carrot, potato and other vegetables in a rich slightly spicy (but not hot) broth...mmm.

The rye bread ice cream had a sort of coffee-caramel flavor to the base ice cream, with specks of ground-up rye bread mix-in style. We also shared a skyr cake; the local yogurt-like filling had a tang that reminded me of good key lime pie, but without lime flavor.

Total, with coffee and Loki Tea (birch and other local items), about $20 per person.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Tromsø, Troms, Norway
“Perfect place for a traditional lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Cafe Loki specialices in traditional Icelandic food, and they suceed in making simple, but tasty dishes.

One of the best things about Loki is that it gives you a good opportunity to marvel at the Hallgrimskirkja either before or after you visit it which I found very positive.

Visited February 2013
Northumberland
“Tasty, good value, traditional food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Ate lunch here whilst visiting Reykjavik and was really impressed. Food was fresh tasting, traditional and excellent value for money. Flavours all worked beautifully together and staff were helpful and friendly. View is fantastic too, definitely recommend to anyone visiting the city.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere